Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Warnings and Dangers

Slowly crawling my way down on all fours
    by RoseAmano

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Ruinas Chichén-Itzá

• Enzyme_X's Profile Photo

Snakes

by Enzyme_X Written Jul 1, 2005

You know that they are out there. But till you meet one, you don't care abou them. It was the same with us while exploring the ruins. We came to the Baño De Vapor 2 ruins, place where probably few visitors go to. And there it was, lying on the rocks and sunbathing. The snake disappeared immediately when we came. And my girls too :-). Exploring further the site, there was always this thought, that it may happen again.

• Eco-Tourism

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

Doing it this way looks a bit dangerous to me .

by Waalewiener Updated Feb 2, 2005

Lady going down El Castillo

I hope the lady does not mind me showing her picture like this .
    I guess she knew what she was doing ,going down the Pyramid like this .
    In her case she looks young and athletic.
    But for most of us going down this Pyramid would be better to do it in a fashion that will be shown in my next warning of danger tip .
    Like Frank Sinatra used to sing
    I did it myyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyy."

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

This is probably the best way to go up or down

by Waalewiener Updated Feb 2, 2005

That's the way to do it

I think this is the way to do it ,just like in this picture here ,nice and slow nice and easy
    No Rush no Fuzz no Mush or whatever .

DONT FORGET YOUR CAMERA ,YOU NEED TO TAKE PICTURES FROM UP THERE.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

BEWARE OF THE VENDORS

by LoriPori Updated Feb 2, 2005

Papa Smurf in Chichen-Itza

Even though the path leading to the ruins is full of vendors displaying their wares, many vendors walk around trying to sell you souvenirs. They tell you "One Dollar Lady" and me loving a bargain gets out my $1.00 U.S. "Oh, no Lady, --1 Mayan dollar" O.K. What's a Mayan Dollar I ask. "100 pesos " or $10.00 U.S. For one thing there's no such thing as a Mayan dollar and they all seem to use the same sales pitch. And besides the same little masks that they were selling were at the mall for 50 pesos or $5.00 U.S.

P.S. If you see Papa Smurf, let me know. The last time I saw him he was in the company of 6 gorgeous U.K. ladies.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

Take care with the height

by Maria_75 Written Nov 19, 2004

The steps are quite steep

Well, it's not really a danger. But if you have problems with height you should think twice before going up. I really don't like heights but had climbed the Sunpyramid in Teotihuacan and thought this one would be easier. But it wasn't...

It's not so bad to go up, but once you're up there it's a bit worse. It's very steep and the platform on top is not so wide. If you are seriously scared of heights you should at least have someone with you so they can help you get down again. It's a fantastic view from the top, but I didn't see so much up there. I was just wondering how the %&#(! to get down again, and thought my skeletons would be part of the pyramid in the future. But in the end I managed to get back down again...

No shade!

by Dabs Written Jan 22, 2004

There is very little shade at the ruins site and at midday it can be VERY hot. Be sure to wear sunscreen, especially if you are pasty white like me, bring some water to drink and if you're especially prone to sunburn not a bad idea to wear a hat.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Running down is even more silly....

by Dabs Updated Jan 19, 2004

Running up the side of El Castillo is a silly venture but running down is sheer lunacy. Here the husband found a friend to run down with.

See all those people walking down carefully? That is how you should go down, it is a long way to the bottom should you slip and tumble down.

This tip may be moot in 2004, I heard that they were going to stop letting people walk up El Castillo in 2004 due to wear and tear.

Running up El Castillo-once wasn't enough

by Dabs Written Jan 18, 2004

Apparently when I reported that the crowd groaned audibly when he didn't make it all the way the first time, he somehow viewed that as a challenge to do it again, this time up a different side.

But at least he had enough sense not to bite when I said that he should do all four sides :-)

Running up El Castillo

by Dabs Written Jan 18, 2004

Running up the pyramid

If you are going to run up the side of the El Castillo (like in the Reebok commercial except I think that was at the ruins at Tikal), make sure you make it all the way to the top without stopping or the crowd at the bottom will groan audibly and your loving wife will report it to you so that you think you need to do it again (see next tip)

• Joan58's Profile Photo

To suffer from vertigo

by Joan58 Written Dec 31, 2002

Don't climb El Castillo if you suffer from vertigo. If you want to do it, be sure to be able to get down! Steps are very narrow and steep. There is a rope on the stairs that can help you. There are many ways to get down, as you can see in the picture: backwards, on your backside, with a zigzag line.

• Conspirator's Profile Photo

Fibreglass brick storage

by Conspirator Written Sep 17, 2006

Storage container

I suppose the stone age Mayans built these steel cover manhole covers, right?

These all hold spare fibreglass bricks that can be quickly added for patch-up jobs at night.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Letting a digital novice take our picture

by Dabs Written Jan 19, 2004

Bad photography

We asked a guy to take our photo with a couple we were with and the photo below is the result. Should have checked it before we left.....

Instant Answers: Ruinas Chichén-Itzá

Comments

Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Ruinas Chichén-Itzá warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ruinas Chichén-Itzá sightseeing.

View all Ruinas Chichén-Itzá hotels