Safety Tips in Estado de Yucatán

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Estado de Yucatán

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

Watch out for TOPES when driving in Mexico

by MikeySoft Updated May 13, 2011

TOPES are speed bumps when entering, within, and leavings towns in Mexico. They are clearly marked by road signs as you can see in my photos. They are very useful because often you are traveling at high speed on local highways. The same highways are often local roads in town. It is very easy not to release you are entering a populated area and very dangerous should you not slow down.

Please rate this and my other tips should you find them useful, interesting, or like the photos.

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Animals

by smirnofforiginal Updated Jun 28, 2007

Crocodiles, scorpions, spiders, lizards & snakes (see my Mexican tips for more detailed info) lurk in the Yucatan peninsula. A good website to visit to bring yourslef up to speed is :

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Car blocks

by smirnofforiginal Written Jun 28, 2007

Certianly it is a number of years since I was in Mexico (1999) and I never had any problems what so ever. But, the Mexicans all warned me that sometimes the road is blocked by what looks like a car accident or a broken down motor - this makes you slow and stop and leaves you vulnerable to the bandits that "set up" the blocked road scenario.

The only thing to really do in the event of a blocked road (we had one and did this but it was genuine) is to slow in advance and make a decision as to what the situation is.

• Matt420's Profile Photo

Full service fuel stations

by Matt420 Written May 4, 2006

We have had a few problems while getting fuel at different locations in the Yucatan. There are two major things to look for:
    First, PAY ATTENTION to what is going on. If your not watchful, you might get charged for premimum fuel when the regular grade is used to fill your car. Also, get out of your car and look at the pump. Make sure it is set back to zero "0" before they start.
    We had an instance where it cost $75 USD to fill up a Jeep Liberty because the pump was never reset back to zero after the car in front of us. We did argue the issue, but the pump dollar amount did equal to $75. I guess they saw us drive up with a "TOURIST" sticker on the front of our car.

Also, pay with Pesos, you will get more for your money.

• Adventure Travel

• Astrobuck's Profile Photo

Driving in Mexico

by Astrobuck Written Dec 8, 2005

If you are daring, go for it.

But, be forewarned the fact that driving in Mexico is VERY hectic, and heaven forbid you getting into an accident. In Mexico, it makes no difference whether it was your fault or not. A car wreck in Mexico is a criminal offense. In other words, you and the other driver both get a one-way ticket to the Mexican Pokey (jail).

• Astrobuck's Profile Photo

Getting Short Changed

by Astrobuck Written Jun 5, 2005

Beware when you go and pay for your admission at Uxmal. I paid $88 pesos (approx $16.80 US) for an admission with a US $20 bill. I got back $20 pesos instead of 40. I never knew until a few hours later. Be sure to count your change, because you will get ripped off.

• Cruise
    • Adventure Travel

• Red.nl's Profile Photo

Gas/petrol stations

by Red.nl Updated Apr 10, 2005

Make sure you can see the meter of the fillingstation!!! Especially right outside of Cancun. We payed double 'cause we didn't know what the price should be...
    (and we only found out the next we had to fill up)

• katmai's Profile Photo

Beware of Bogus Shop-lifting Accusations

by katmai Written Dec 18, 2004

While with a group of over 100, two of the young women traveling with us were falsely accused of shop-lifting. It is suspected that this could well be a snare to entrap women for God knows what. Beware and be very careful. Our group was in Costa Maya traveling on a cruise line when the events occured.

• Women's Travel

• DOUGALSMUM's Profile Photo

DO NOT USE OLYMPUS TOUR GUIDES

by DOUGALSMUM Updated Nov 16, 2004

There are many different tour guides available in the yucatan through which you can book tours and AIRPORT TRANSFERS, do not make the mistake of using OLYMPUS guides. I unfortunately made the mistake of booking my visit to the yucatan through CRESTA holidays who use olympus as their "local agents" (resort reps). I was assured that on arrival at cancun airport my olympus rep would be waiting to meet me to transfer me to my hotel- "you cant miss him he will be in an orange t shirt with olympus logo on", ,after 20 minutes stood outside thearrivals hall at cancun airport being inundated with offers of taxis (see tourist trap tips) i finally paid a young man $5 to find the rep for me who it turned out had beenat the departures area of the airport.This was just the start of the fiasco that is olympus- on my return journey they returned myself and two other passengers to the airport TWO HOURS too late for our return flight to the u.k (even though we had queried the transfer and flight times the rep had given us)it took another 2 hours to get them to accept it was their fault and put us up in a hotel until they could fly us home another 24 hours later!, in the meantime we had to wait in a grotty hotel in cancun with a building site outside the window.
    You have been warned.

• Helga67's Profile Photo

Beware of pickpockets

by Helga67 Updated Feb 16, 2003

Crowded buses, bus stops, metro trains and stations are among the thieves's favourite places. Pickpockets often work in group, trying to confuse the victim and carry razor blades with which they slit pockets, bags or straps.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

No matter what map you are...

by leffe3 Written Sep 15, 2002

No matter what map you are using, there is no exit between Vallodalid and Cancun on the 180D Express Way. Having driven a 250km detour, believe me!
    We were driving from Vallodalid to Coba (distance 35kms), missed the turn-off, drove on to the express way. As maps indicated there was a turn-off after 30kms which would take us to Coba (adding less than 15kms to the journey) we decided it wasn't the end-of-the-world. Several hours later when we finally arrived in Coba, having driven northeast to the outskirts of Cancun, driven south towards Tulum along one of the craziest roads known to man, and then west along another crazy road full of the dreaded topes/sleeping policemen that are there to take off your undercarriage, we finally arrived some 6-7 hours later than we anticipated (try finding the turn-off from Tulum to Coba in the dark with the sign removed because of roadworks!)

• Red.nl's Profile Photo

Topes, watch out!

by Red.nl Written Apr 10, 2005

Topes are speedbumps. And they must be taken at low speed! They usualy put up signs (look at the picture).
    But sometimes there is a sign and no bump.
    Or a bump without a warning sign.

Estado de Yucatán Hotels

Cuzamá Hotels
Colonia Yucatán Hotels
2 Reviews - 2 Photos

Instant Answers: Estado de Yucatán

Comments

Estado de Yucatán Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Estado de Yucatán warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Estado de Yucatán sightseeing.
Map of Estado de Yucatán