Related Mexico Favorites Tips

by upsouthvolleyball

Most Viewed Favorites in Mexico

avoiding sexual harassment

by susiemargare Updated Mar 7, 2014

Favorite thing: i have rarely been sexually harassed by a mexican man, but perhaps that is due to my age (they think i am a grandmother). on the few occasions when it has happened, i usually act as if we are all teasing each other, and i say something like "que pillo!" (kay pee-yo, "what a rascal!").

women can forestall a lot of this by smiling (not flirtatiously) and saying "hi" or "hola" when a mexican man makes eye contact with them, AND by making eye contact FIRST and then saying "hi" in a friendly manner.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

My thirteenth day of the trip

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Mar 2, 2014

Favorite thing: So my trip to Mexico came to its end.
    The last thirteenth day of the trip began in Cancun, continued in Mexico-City after the flight by “Aeromexico”, continued in Amsterdam after the flight by “KLM” and finished on the fourteenth day in Moscow after the flight by “Aeroflot”.
    I left my hotel in Cancun at 15.00 and got home in Moscow at 2.30 the day after tomorrow after 26,5 hours trip.
    It was the least interesting day, but it was the price for beautiful 12 days which I was fortunate to spend in Mexico in January-February of 2011.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

My tenth, eleventh and twelfth days of the trip

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Mar 2, 2014

Favorite thing: I know that a lot of people prefer beach rest and staying in all-inclusive hotels in Cancun. I’ve never tried such way of rest before and wanted to have an experience only for not to repeat it again.
    As for me it was unforgettable because it happened in February – when it was deep and cold winter in Moscow. I enjoyed summer and beach style of rest after a long way across Mexico and being full filled with Maya and Aztecs imaginations.

You can watch my
    3 min 43 sec Video Cancun Great Parnassus Hotel part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 23 sec Video Sunrise in Cancun Great Parnassus Hotel out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 17 sec Video Cancun Great Parnassus - first waking up and breakfast out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 55 sec Video Cancun Great Parnassus Hotel Beach out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 39 sec Video Cancun Great Parnassus Hotel part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 19 sec Video Cancun Great Parnassus Hotel Lunch part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    7 min 47 sec Video Cancun Great Parnassus Hotel Restaurant part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 00 sec Video Cancun Great Parnassus Hotel part 3 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 29 sec Video Cancun Walk along the Hotel's Area out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 06 sec Video Cancun Sunrise over the Caribbean Sea out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 01 sec Video Sunset over Cancun part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    1 min 24 sec Video Cancun Great Parnassus Hotel and Beach part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 22 sec Video Cancun Great Parnassus Hotel and Beach part 3 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 39 sec Video Cancun Walk along the beach out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 40 sec Video Walk along Cancun part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 50 sec Video Cancun Hotel Great Parnassus in the evening part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    6 min 22 sec Video Mexico Cancun Hotel Great Parnassus Michael Jackson show out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 21 sec Video Cancun Walk around Hilton Golf Fields out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 20 sec Video Cancun Good-bye Mexico! out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

My ninth day of the trip in Chichén-Itzá Ek Balam

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Mar 2, 2014

Favorite thing: The ninth day of the trip was devoted to Chichén-Itzá with the rest at Ik Kil Cenote, with visiting Ek Balam on the way to Cancun.
    Chichén-Itzá. We saw Temple of Kukulkan, Red House, Temple of the Warriors, Tomb of the Chac-mool, Temple of the Jaguars, Tzompantli-Platform of the Sculls, Great Ball Court, Temple of the Bearded Man, Platform of the Eagles and the Jaguars, Cenote Sagrado, Tomb of the High PriestsCaracol – Observatory, Church, Nunnery, House of the Dark Writing, Temple of the Panels, Temple of the Hunt, House of the Grinding Stones, Model of traditional Maya House, Group of the Thousand Columns, Temple of the Carved Columns, Great Plaza.
    After that we went to Cenote Ik’ Kil where we had a very pleasant swimming and Mexican style lunch.
    At 16.oo we were in Ek Balam. We saw Entrance Arch, Oval Palace, Twins and Ballcourt, Acropolis, El Trono.
    At 19.30 we were already in our hotels in Cancun.

You can watch my
    1 min 39 sec Video Mexico Merida-Chichen-Itza out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 28 sec Video Mexico Chichen-Itza part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 54 sec Video Mexico Chichen-Itza part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 22 sec Video Mexico Chichen-Itza part 3 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    5 min 11 sec Video Mexico Chichen-Itza Cenot Ik Kil' out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 12 sec Video Ek' Balam out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

My seventh day of the trip in Palenque

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Mar 2, 2014

Favorite thing: The seventh day of the trip was devoted to Palenque with the rest at the Mexican Gulf on the way to Campeche.
    In the morning I swam in the outdoor pool of the hotel. Our excursion around the ruins started at 8.30 and finished in 4 hours. We saw Archaeological Site, Archaeological Museum, Temple of the Dying Moon, Temple of the Red Queen, Temple of the Inscriptions Court, Temple of the Inscriptions, Tomb of K'inich Janaab' Pakal, Ruz’s Tomb, Grand Palace, Palace West Staircase, Palace East Courtyard, Palace West Courtyard, Palace Central Patio and Patio of the Tower, Palace Observation Tower, Palace Corbel arches, Palace Stucco Masks, Otulum River and Aqueduct, Maudslay’s Plaza, Stephens’s Plaza, Temple of the Cross, Temple of the Foliated Cross, Temple of the Sun, Temple XIV, Walbeck and Ball Courts, Temple of the Count, North Group, Temples X, XI, XV, Group IV.
    After that we went to Campeche and at 15.00 we were at the coast of the Mexican gulf. We had a lunch there and pleasant swimming in warm waters.
    At 19.30 we were in our hotel in Campeche.

You can watch my
    1 min 19 sec about Palenque Video Palenque On the way to the Archaeological Zone out of my Youtube channel or 5 min 08 sec about Palenque Video Palenque part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    4 min 17 sec about Palenque Video Palenque part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 27 sec about Palenque Video Palenque part 3 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 15 sec about Palenque Video Palenque Museum out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 09 sec about Palenque Video Palenque Villa Mercedes in the evening out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    4 min 42 sec about Palenque Video Palenque Villa Mercedes in the morning out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 28 sec Video Palenque-Campeche part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 43 sec Video Restaurant on the Mexican Gulf Coast at Campeche out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 36 sec Video Sunset over the Mexican Gulf at Campeche out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    1 min 10 sec Video Hotel Del Mar in Campeche in the evening out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

My eighth day of the trip in Uxmal and Merida

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Mar 1, 2014

Favorite thing: The eighth day of the trip was devoted to Campeche, Uxmal and Merida.
    In the morning after swimming in the hotel pool we had a short excursion along Campeche and saw Bay of Campeche, City Wall, Puerta de Tierra, Square of Independence, Cathedral of the Conception, Church of San Francisco,
    At 10.30 we were in Uxmal. During 3-hours excursion we saw Uxmal Archeological Zone with Pyramid of the Magician, Pyramid’s unique decoration, Nunnery Quadrangle, Ball Court, Turtle House, Governor's Palace, Jaguar Throne, Great Pyramid, House of the Doves, The South Temple.
    At 15.00 we were already in our hotel in Merida. After dinner I walked along the city and saw Cathedral de San Ildefonso, Zocalo or Plaza Grande, Parque Principal, Palacio de Gobierno, Palacio Municipal, Casa de Montejo, Iglesia de Jesús, Teatro Jose Peon Contreras, University of Yucatan-Merida, Iglesia and Park Santa Ana, Parque Hidalgo, Patria Monument in Paseo de Montejo.

You can watch my
    4 min 59 sec Video Hotel Del Mar in Campeche in the morning out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 35 sec Video Mexico Campeche out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    1 min59 sec Video Mexico Campeche-Uxmal out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    4 min 23 sec Video Mexico Uxmal part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 58 sec Video Mexico Uxmal part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    6 min 22 sec Video Mexico Merida by bus out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    4 min 00 sec Video Merida Hotel Hyatt out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    5 min 25 sec Video Merida Hotel Hyatt in the morning out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    4 min 07 sec Video Mexico Merida part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 17 sec Video Mexico Merida part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    1 min 28 sec Video Mexico Merida protests out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

My sixth day of the trip in Chamula and Zinacantan

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Feb 23, 2014

Favorite thing: The sixth day of the trip was devoted to San Cristobal, Chamula and Zinacantan.
    In the morning we had a 1,5 hour excursion along San-Cristobal and we afforded to see what we had missed the day before.
    At 9.30 we started our way to Indian villages. In Chamula we saw Church of San Juan, San Sebastian Church ruins and Chamula Market.
    In Zinacantan we saw San Lorenzo Church and paid a visit in an Indian family.

You can watch my
    2 min 38 sec Video San Cristobal de Las Casas Villa Mercedes in the morning out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    4 min 13 sec Video San Cristobal de Las Casas in the morning out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 40 sec Video San Cristobal de las Casas - San Juan Chamula out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 05 sec Video San Juan Chamula out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 28 sec Video Zinacantan out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 22 sec Video Zinacantan Being on a visit in Indian family out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 59 sec about Video Zinacantan-Palenque by bus part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    1 min 58 sec about Video Zinacantan-Palenque by bus part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

My fifth day of the trip in Sumidero and San Crist

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Feb 22, 2014

Favorite thing: The fifth day of the trip was devoted to Sumidero and San Cristobal.
    After a night in Tuhuantepec and swimming in the hotel pool we started our way to Sumidero at 8.00.
    In 4,5 hours we were there and had a wonderful two hours bout trip along the Grijalva River and saw the Sumidero Canyon and the National Park, Spider Monkeys, American crocodiles, American Griffons, Cueva de Colores, Christmas Tree Falls and Chiapa De Corzo.
    At 14.30 we started to San Cristobal and in two hours were at our hotel. At 17.00 we went on excursion which lasted two hours. We saw Zocalo, the Cathedral, San Nicolas Temple, Palacio de Gobierno, Siren House, Iglesia de San Cristobal, Iglesia del Carmen, El Carmen Arch, Real de Guadelupe, Iglesia de Guadelupe, Iglesia de Santo Domingo, Convento de la Merced, Iglesia de San Francisco and the Sunset over San Cristobal de las Casas.

You can watch my
    4 min 19 sec Video Tehuantepec- Sumidero out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    4 min 24 sec Video Canyon Sumidero part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    5 min 32 sec Video Sumidero Canyon part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 45 sec Video Sumidero-San Cristobal de las Casas out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 30 sec Video San Cristobal de las Casas in the evening part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    4 min 56 sec Video Sunset over San Cristobal de las Casas out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    1 min 19 sec Video San Cristobal de las Casas late evening out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    1 min 57 sec Video San Cristobal de Las Casas Villa Mercedes out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

My fourth day of the trip in Oaxaca and Monte-Alba

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Feb 16, 2014

Favorite thing: The fourth day of the trip was devoted to Monte-Alban, Oaxaca and Santa Maria del Tule.
    In the morning – swimming in the hotel pool, walking around the hotel area and admiring beautiful views at Oaxaca from my balcony.

We started our way to the Archaeological Site of Monte-Alban at 8.00. At 8.30 we were already there. We had a three hours excursion during which I saw the Museum, Gran Plaza, Observatory, Ball court, South Platform, West Side, Danzantes, East Side, North Platform and Tombs.

At 11.30 we drove to Oaxaca and were there almost in the afternoon. We had a 1,5 excursion there and I saw Zocalo, Art Noveau kiosk, Alameda de León, Macedonio Alcalá Tourist Corridor, Templo de la Preciosa Sangre de Cristo, Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption and Santo Domingo de Guzmán.

At 13.30 we drove to Santa Maria del Tule and were there in a half of an hour. We had a half of an hour excursion there quite enough to see the famous Arbol del Tule, El Templo de Santa Maria de la Asuncion and Santa Maria del Tule's Town Hall.
    At 14.30 we had a dinner in El Famoso Restaurant on the road.
    At 15.30 we started our way to Tehuantepec. After 4 hours driving we were in the hotel.

You can watch my
    6 min 33 sec Video Monte Alban out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 00 sec Video Oaxaca Hotel Victoria out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 20 sec Video Oaxaca sunrise out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 56 sec Video Oaxaca Hotel Victoria in the morning out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    3 min 35 sec Video Oaxaca out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    2 min 34 sec Video Oaxaca restaurant and Mezcal out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    1 min 25 sec Video Oaxaca Santa Maria del Tule out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    7 min 04 sec Video Oaxaca-Tehuantepec out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

• Architecture

My third day of the trip in Mexico City and Puebla

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Feb 15, 2014

Favorite thing: The third day of the trip was devoted to Mexico City, Puebla de Zaragoza and Cholula.
    Because of shift of time I woke up very early and could visit the pool in the hotel and have a walk along Pasea de Reforma before breakfast.
    We started our trip at 8.00 with an excursion around rich quarters of the city to see where the well-known in Russia Mexican movie “The rich also cry” had been created.
    At 9.00 we started our way to Puebla de Zaragoza and reached it at 11.00. We had a two hours excursion to see Zocalo, the Cathedral, Church of Santo Domingo, 5 de Mayo Street, Chapel Del Rosario, Casa de Alfeñique, the Municipal Palace and visit the Talavera pottery shop.
    At 13.00 I hired a taxi and went to Cholula - archaeological zone which situated about 7 kilometers west of the city of Puebla where I saw the Great Pyramid and Nuestra Señora de los Remedios church.
    At 14.30 I came back to Puebla and we started our way to Oaxaca. On the way we saw Orisaba Volcano (from aside) and Tehuacán-Cuicatlán Biospheric Reserve with its giant cactusses.
    At 20.30 we arrived to Oaxaca where spent a night.

You can watch my
    5 min 22 sec Video Mexico City-Puebla .
    6 min 54 sec Video Mexico Puebla .
    2 min 44 sec Video Puebla-Cholula-Puebla .
    1 min 16 sec Video Mexico Cactuses .
    5 min 35 sec Video Puebla-Oaxaca out of my Youtube channel.

My first day on the way from Russia to Mexico

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Feb 15, 2014

Fondest memory: On 24th of January in 2011 I began my trip to Mexico. I was in the airport of Sheremetievo in 8.10 and had to wait for a flight to Paris until 10.30 (it was a half of an hour delay because of anti-icing works).
    After 3 hours in flight we landed at 12.50 in the Charles de Gaulle Airport. I had to change the terminal in great hurry was almost in time for a flight to Mexico-City which began at 13.40.
    After 10,5 hours in flight at 19.00 we landed in the Mexico City International Airport.
    Unfortunately my suit-case stayed in Paris and after 2 hours waiting and searching I went to the city by taxi in great angry and sorrow. In half an hour at 21.30 I was in my hotel Melia Reforma.
    At 23.00 Mexico-City time (and 6.00 Moscow time) I went to bed. 24 hours passed since I woke up in Moscow and my first day in trip was over.

You can watch my 5 min 01 sec HD Video Moscow-Paris-Mexico City flight with Adelita HD out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

My second day of the trip in Mexico-City

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Feb 15, 2014

Favorite thing: The second day of the trip was devoted to Mexico-City and Teotihuacán.
    I woke up at 5.30 local time (12.30 Moscow time). I had a little walk along the Paceo Reforma before the breakfast.
    At 8.00 our first excursion began. It lasted till 11.00 and we were fortunate to see Centro Histórico, Zócalo, Metropolitan Cathedral, Metropolitan Tabernacle, Statue of Juan Pablo II, National Palace, El Patio del Palacio, Jardin Botanico in Palacio Nacional, Wallpainting by Diego Rivera, Templo Mayor, Nacional Monte de Piedad.
    At 11.00 we went to Teotihuacán and at 12.00 we were already there.
    After shopping our second excursion began and we saw Cerro Gordo, Archaeological Site, Avenue of the Dead, Pyramid of the Sun, Platforms along the Avenue of the Dead, Pyramid of the Moon, Plaza of the Moon, Citadel and Temple of Quetzalcoatl, Quetzalpapalotl Palace, Court of Columns.
    At 15.00 the excursion was over. After having a lunch in El Jaguar restaurant we came back to Mexico-City at 17.00.
    Our third excursion in the National Museum of Anthropology lasted two hours until 19.00.
    We came back to our hotel. I went to the airport by taxi to get my suite-case which fortunately arrived from Paris. It took me two hours and I was back only at 22.00. That’s why I lost my fourth evening excursion to the centre which I was planning. Pity! I was terribly tired but happy.

Fondest memory: You can watch my
    3 min 39 sec HD Video Mexico City around by bus part 1.
    4 min 02 sec HD Video Mexico City around by bus part 2.
    2 min 48 sec HD Video Mexico City Melia Reforma Hotel part 1.
    4 min 25 sec HD Video Mexico City around by bus part 3.
    3 min 02 sec HD Video Mexico City Melia Reforma Hotel part 2.
    2 min 41 sec HD Video Mexico City around part 4.
    5 min 29 sec HD Video Mexico City National Palace Diego Rivera part 1.
    2 min 14 sec HD Video Mexico City National Palace part 2.
    3 min 25 sec HD Video Mexico City Metropolitan .
    5 min 18 sec HD Video Mexico City around part 5.
    1 min 24 sec HD Video Mexico City Metropolitan Tabernacle.
    2 min 42 sec HD Video Mexico City around part 6.
    9 min 57 sec HD Video Mexico City Anthropology Museum .
    5 min 16 sec HD Video Mexico City Melia Reforma Hotel part 3 .
    49 sec HD Video Mexico City Templo Mayor.
    7 min 09 sec Video Mexico Teotihuacan .
    3 min 33 sec Video Mexico Teotihuacan Local customs and shopping .

• Architecture

• susiemargare's Profile Photo

best materials for a quickie guide to mexico

by susiemargare Updated Feb 10, 2014

Favorite thing: unquestionably, the best contemporary guide to mexico is THE PEOPLE'S GUIDE TO MEXICO, by carl franz (see his website also, at "http://thepeoplesguidetomexico.com"). he covers both rural and urban travel and has millions of good cultural tips, along with hilarious anecdotes about him, his wife/girlfriend, and their best friend steve on car trips through mexico. if you look at only one source of information about mexico before you go, this should be the one!

an excellent general history (and not boring) of mexico is DISTANT NEIGHBORS by alan riding.

• susiemargare's Profile Photo

even a little bit of spanish opens many doors

by susiemargare Updated Jun 1, 2013

Favorite thing: try to speak spanish, even if rudimentary; the people do appreciate it, tho many mexicans speak english. be extremely polite, and SMILE A LOT. people from the USA should refer to themselves as "norteamericanos," not simply "americanos."

to say, "my name is X," say "me llamo X" (may yahm-oh).

greet people with "hola" (oh-lah, with just the barest more emphasis on the second syllable, this is the equivalent of "hi"), "buenos dias" (bway-nohs dee-ahs) in the morning, "buenas tardes" (bway-nahs tar-dezz) from noon to slightly before sundown, and "buenas noches" (bway-nahs no-chezz) after dark.

if you ask people to speak spanish VERY SLOWLY ("muy lentamente" -- mooey len-ta-men-tay), they will do so. practically all waiters, shopkeepers, etc., are happy to teach you individual words or phrases. a berlitz book on latin-american spanish (not spain) is helpful, because it has phonetic pronunciation, latin-american slang, and phrases that you are likely to want to know (thank you, i'm sorry, my spanish is not good, where is the bus stop?, etc.).

• JuliaLeschenko's Profile Photo

Amazing country - Mexico

by JuliaLeschenko Written Mar 23, 2013

Favorite thing: As for me, the most interesting places and sightseeing are ancient Mayan city of Chichen Itza, sacred Cenotes, Coba city, ecoparks, and of course - necessarily!!! you should visit Tulum. It one of the best- preserved coastal Mayan cities (the beach of Tulum are very beautiful and it is included in seven of the best beaches in the world).
    I would not recommend the island of Mujeres, in my view, there is not anything interesting.
    And if you want to see an authentic Mexico, this is best done with a knowledgeble person, because it can be very dangerous. In the touristic zone safely, but outside possibly everything.

Fondest memory: I think that Mexico is another civilization. Frandly people, incredible beautiful beaches, tasty food and of course its own special atmosphere. Most part of the population speak Spanish, except hotel staff, restaurant staff who know and speak English.
    If you go to Mexico with big company, better place that Cancun or Play del Carmen (it is 40 min. nearby Cancun), you will not find. Very fun, noisy and lively, many young people. There are a lot of nightclubs, cafes and restaurants for different tastes.
    As for restaurans, I can say that I have never tried such dillicious oysters like in Cart Charlie's restaurant in my life before! (it is located in the centr of Cancun, Blvr. Kukulkan Km. 5.5 hotel zone, Cancun).
    About nightclubs - I have never forgot a Coco Bongo) it is not just a nightclub, this is interesting and unforgettable show (style show Las-Vegas). It's worth seeing!

• Water Sports

3 Reviews - 12 Photos
Tijuana Hotels
654 Reviews - 1056 Photos

Instant Answers: Mexico

Comments

Mexico Favorites

Reviews and photos of Mexico favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mexico sightseeing.
Map of Mexico