Tourist Attractions in Mexico

• Federal Checkpoints
    by Agraichen
  • Crosses symbolic of the 4 cardinal directions
    Crosses symbolic of the 4 cardinal...
    by goodfish
  • Tourist Traps
    by goodfish

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Mexico

• omehes's Profile Photo

Choosing trips and excursions

by omehes Written Feb 21, 2013

When you arrive to Cancún, right in the airport agencies will try to sell you trips to places. They all sounds great and promising it is not time share, etc... No need to buy them there as there are many agencies and stands in the centre of Cancun. It gives you choices and good prices as many time they sell trips for "special" or "only today" low prices. Negotiate and don't take everything at the first offer.

• Water Sports
    • Archeology

• ombre's Profile Photo

night time

by ombre Written Mar 12, 2010

this photoI did not take I must admit its from wikipedia .
    this photo is such a natural look of the city at night i thought it was worth adding.
    in fact its taken from a area very close to where my friend lives in Tulincingo.
    Which was the reason I really wanted to use a pic that was not mine .

Unique Suggestions: Tulancingo is for the most part quite a safe place to travel around un like mexico city.
    I never had any problems with any thing in my time here.Apart from people thinking i was American and full of cash.
    they only need to look at my sense of fashion to see i was no millionaire haha.
    I actually found Tulancingo people to in gerneral be helpful kind and very generous .
    Like any where you need to use good common sense and stay away form areas that give you an un easy feeling.

• ilovenewjersey's Profile Photo

Time share

by ilovenewjersey Updated Dec 4, 2009

You will be offered TIME SHARE or something similar to that (they're wiser nowadays, they have different terms for that beacuse people are more cautious with the word 'Time share') from the moment you'll check in. If you're TOUGH and can't easily be swayed by these alligator salesman, then go and attend their seminars to avail free stuffs like their SPA, Tours, Swimming with the dolphins, and so on. But if you're a weakling, scared, and can easily be persuaded...forget about it!. You'll end up returning back to the US with a thick contract on your lap, and you'll be stucked with it for the next 5 years. I booked my all-inclussive trip with Expedia, and the price the salesman quoted was exactly the same price I paid for the whole trip(was he kidding me?). The only difference was that, I did not get stucked with a contract for the next 5 years.

Unique Suggestions: Learn how to say "NO" when you're offered something that is too good to be true!!!

• melosh's Profile Photo

Suckered to the "perfect" place?

by melosh Updated Jun 8, 2009

With the right camera angles and a nice setting sun I think I can make any place look idyllic. (Just recently I took such pictures in Liberia, West Africa and in Haiti.) Add to this a few carefully chosen festival pictures or closeups of natural fauna and the place will look perfect for a once in a lifetime adventure. So you can not trust the promotional photos just as you can not trust an internet site's sponsored praise.

On the other hand independent guidebooks will usually not mislead you. Still, I once took a whole group of friends to Merida, Mexico to a hotel described by a guide book as:

'in an authentic historic building' (= plumbing did not work reliably and building was only old enough that no one knew its history or cared)

'with a verdant central garden' (= untended, out of control central courtyard inspiring fear of wild snakes)

'like an antique museum' (= furniture old in poor condition but was originally very cheap)

'with a rooftop patio with great views of the city' (= rooftop covered with clothes lines, clothes and the maid washing station)

Unique Suggestions: Trapped by a pre-paid reservation? Demand your money back and move as soon as you can.

That first night we went out to a nicer place to eat and drank enough beer to help make our stay at this hotel tolerable.

Fortunately, we had only paid for one night, I had not vouched for the quality of the hotel, and because of my reputation for cheap travel my group was prepared for even worst. They were even ready to stay more than the first night, but the next morning I formed a committee of some of the ladies and we found a much better place for the same price.

• crazygal59's Profile Photo

The hard sell.

by crazygal59 Written Mar 6, 2009

Row upon row of stores where the owners or sales staff stand out front and try to get you to come into their store to buy. A lot of these stores are selling the same stuff no matter which island in the Caribbean you go to. Gold, diamonds and emeralds....the same everywhere.

Fun Alternatives: Try to find stores off the beaten track where items are locally made. Not the easiest challenge though.

Mexican bug.

• anchornm's Profile Photo

Time Share Salesmen

by anchornm Written Apr 6, 2008

I am sure that I am not the first to mention these bozos!
    They stalk you anywhere in PV, but you get it full face at the airport.

My feeling is that this will be the undoing of PV.
    It has gotten so bad that when you go into a store to buy native Huichol artwork, the vendors don't care if you buy, they only want to get you to a timeshare

Unique Suggestions: Keep your eyes down, and talk to nobody at the airport.
    When someone on the street says "Where are you from - say "Ja Nay Moge Fro Polska Movich" which means " I don't know how to speak Polish". Don't try German, Dutch or French.

Fun Alternatives: I try to make it into a game -- this trick is SOOOO much fun.
    It goes like this: I know that I am going to be at the airport 2 hours early for an international flight, and I am going to get stuck in Phoenix or Denver for an hour or so. I know that a slice of wretched pizza will cost $7.00 so I always bring a little cooler full of snacks. A couple of donuts for breakfast, and some Kentucky Fried Chicken for lunch. I don't mind buying a cup of $1.75 coffee or a Coke to have with it -- it gives you entre' to sit at the restaurant and mooch napkins.

We always go on a few bus trips at our destination, and it is great to have the cooler along.
    It is plastic, and it goes right thru the xray machine.

This is the fun part!
    I work in a hospital, and we have thousands of little red bags with the biohazard international symbol on it. They have PELIGRO written on them in huge block letters. I always pack a few of them in my Playmate cooler. When I get finished having lunch, the napkins, chicken bones and such go into a red bag.

When you walk through the airport, if you say as much as one word to the timeshare hawks, they will say Yes! Do you have syphilis? YES! Are you from the Argentine Embassy? YES!

Esta Usted de la officina de Doctor Gutierrez? SI! -- Hand them a bag of chicken bones!
    RAPIDO, - el médico está esperando!

Tools of the Trade

• anchornm's Profile Photo

Time Share Salesmen

by anchornm Written Apr 6, 2008

I am sure that I am not the first to mention these bozos!
    They stalk you anywhere in PV, but you get it full face at the airport.

My feeling is that this will be the undoing of PV.

Unique Suggestions: Keep your eyes down, and talk to nobody at the airport.

Fun Alternatives: I try to make it into a game -- this trick is SOOOO much fun.
    It goes like this: I know that yI am going to be at the airport 2 hours early for an international flight, and I am going to get stuck in Phoenix or Denver for an hour or so. I know that a slice of wretched pizza will cost $7.00 so I always bring a little cooler full of snacks. A couple of donuts for breakfast, and some Kentucky Fried Chicken for lunch. I don't mind buying a cup of $1.75 coffee or a Coke to have with it -- it gives you entre' to sit at the restaurant and mooch napkins.

It is plastic, and it goes right thru the xray machine.

This is the fun part!

RAPIDO, - el médico está esperando!

Tools of the Trade

• talise10's Profile Photo

All Inclusive - Demise of local tourism revenue

by talise10 Written Feb 25, 2008

Huge all inclusive resorts have taken over the Mexican coasts. While many are beautiful, convenient and affordable travel options, most are owned by foreign corporations. They are usually isolated and make it difficult for travelers to experience the true culture that the local people and surroundings have to offer (although they may offer crowded tours of more corporate owned attractions). These resorts make it very hard for local businesses to thrive. Many are developed without regard to the effect on surrounding ecosystems.

Unique Suggestions: Take advantage of the economical rooms and food service (as unappetizing at it may be) if you are looking for some beach time or plan to spend most of your time diving. But do your research and arrange excursions on your own to the many great off-the beaten path, true Mexican gems. Try the local food. Find somewhere to dance to actual Mexican music.

Fun Alternatives: Rent a car - research excursions and travel tips. In Playa Del Carmen we stumbled across a local family based guide service in the Tulum Ruins Plaza that will take you to many spots including ruins and snorkling with giant sea turtles and in jungle cenotes for a minimal fee which includes gear. Fifteen year old Patrick is already a seasoned world traveler, very comfortable escorting foreigners all to these spots and will introduce you to some great places to eat! Try Bona Vida in Akumal on Half Moon Bay - a cool beach restaurant with tables in trees and great pina coladas enjoyed on a swing at the bar. Everyone is extremely friendly, especially Gabrielle! This was our favorite day in Playa.

• Beaches
    • Adventure Travel
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• Tokyobase's Profile Photo

Taxi fare in Mexico city

by Tokyobase Updated Jul 31, 2007

The taxi in MC doesn't not run by meter for tourist. We hailed a taxi and we were told that to a destination about 3 block away at US$7. When we reached we paid US$7, but he declined and said $7 for each, thought we can't argue much because he doesn't speaks much english and we are in foreign land we paid. But arghhhhhh... x%y/z#%&

Guess what... we took the taxi back to our hotel by meter was US$3.

Unique Suggestions: Make sure the fare are for 1 car or 1 person or whatever you could clarify.

• mckinney906's Profile Photo

just dont talk to anyone at the flea markets

by mckinney906 Written Oct 17, 2006

They will have the original price jacked up and then try to act like they are doing you some favor and lower it to a price that is still high or what it is worth. Tell them the price you want to give them for it but if they dont agree say fine and walk away and more than likley they will give in and give it to you for that price.

Unique Suggestions: See above!

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

Becareful!

by DunaKal Updated Dec 28, 2005

Do not,,I repeat,DO NOT buy any tickets to visit the chichin itza (or any attraction)from any store ,They will take your money and promise to pick you from your hotel but they never do.

Unique Suggestions: If you want to go sight seeing just arrange with your hotel.Maybe it will be a little more expensive,but at least you can be sure your money will not be taken for nothing!

Fun Alternatives: Just talk to the concierge!

• Beaches

• melosh's Profile Photo

A tourist attraction with tourist food

by melosh Updated Dec 20, 2005

The worst Mexican food I remember eating in Mexico, was in the cave restaurant near Teotihuacan. (And it happened twice, in both 1968 and 1994 -- I had stupidly hoped that they had changed management and cook and I wanted to impress friends with the beauty of the site.)
    The food was bland, salsa feeble and the prices reflected the location and not the quality.

Unique Suggestions: Do not plan this as a long leisurely typical comida. Enjoy the setting and save your real eating money for somewhere else.
    This would qualify as a off the beaten path visit, and as I indicated seeing this cave restaurant is worthwhile. From the pyramid of the sun as seen in the picture you head to the right, then turn left at the corner of the pyramid and continue along this side to the "back" entrance. You walk across the parking lot, exit the archelogical site, cross the road and follow the signs about a block.

Fun Alternatives: I can not testify on the food quality, but if you want to eat near the ruins there is a collection of open air "restaurants" along the road which goes around the ruins from the main entrance to the back entrance. With so many restaurants in competition, I would expect several to have food of reasonable quality and authenticity. I think I also recall that there is at least a cafeteria at the main entrance in the visitors center.

Note the hill in the background
    • Archeology

• Enzyme_X's Profile Photo

Travels Cheques

by Enzyme_X Written Apr 19, 2005

If you are using travels cheques while traveling in Mexico, keep in mind that some banks don't accept cheques after 2 pm.
    This is more important if you go to more remote places where you can't find many banks or exchange offices.
    It happened one time that bank run out of pesos. So always keep somewhere a reserv for harder days.

• melosh's Profile Photo

National museums are closed on Mondays

by melosh Updated Mar 15, 2005

For years I had told an artistic friend that he just had to see the Anthropology Museum in Mexico City, one of the great museums of the world. Finally we convinced his wife to let him go for a "boys long weekend out" trip. The four of us men had a great time over the weekend. Following my plan we saved the last day of our trip for our museum visit, but I, of all people, should have remembered that Monday national museums are closed in Mexico. I am not sure my friend's wife believed this story. Especially when we told her that this just meant we just had to go back to Mexico see the museum.

Unique Suggestions: If you make this type of mistake, your best approach probably includes food, music and a generous sharing of alcoholic beverages.

Fun Alternatives: Private museums are often open on Monday.

• Museum Visits

• melosh's Profile Photo

You care, but don't want to be played for a fool

by melosh Written Feb 28, 2005

Even in the USA I can not identify strangers with needs which are not self-distructive, so how am I to do this in a foreign country where I am more likely to be face to face with extreme poverty? Even if I had millions, I could not satisfy the need,let along separate the truly needy from the opportunistic. Should I just go by with a casual, "I give at the office"? These are real questions for the traveller to foreign lands.

Unique Suggestions: My answer has been two fold: 1) I watch who the locals help because they tend to help people they recognize and ignore strangers. I think most travellers would be surprised at the charity of shopkeepers in many third world countries. Watch carefully when the really little old lady enters a shop or restaurant. And 2)I usually buy an extra roll of bread, or piece of fruit and share with someone who seems to be in need. If they do not want it or need it, they can tell me without embarassment. I also feel that it is accepted more as sharing than charity because it is personal,non-monitary and can be participatory. Even people forced to beg, have dignity to be preserved. I do believe that when there are parents around, it is always important to ask permission before giving something to a child. I have found that words are not necessary. Bob

Fun Alternatives: Whether you follow my method or you just have to ignore what you see in the streets, do not forget when you go home to generously "give at the office".

• Cruise

234 Reviews - 461 Photos
Rosarito Hotels
147 Reviews - 406 Photos

Instant Answers: Mexico

Comments

Mexico Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Mexico tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mexico sightseeing.
Map of Mexico