What to pack for North America

Cooling off my feet
    by gilabrand
  • Comfortable Shoes
    by ladygolfer
    Conrad peers at the cherry blossoms
    by AKtravelers

Most Viewed What to Pack in North America

by forensics1 Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Camping: Backpacks or duffle bags
    Hotels: suitcases big enough for anything you want to add when you go home

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: shorts;pants;sandels;sneakers;light coat (south) winter coat (north); bathing suits, tee-shirts. long sleeve shirts etc.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: SOAP, tooth paste, asprin, band-aids

Photo Equipment: zoom lenses and wide angle

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: tents, flashlights, sandels, bathing suit. mesh shorts, sunscreen, towels, sneakers, water bottles

Miscellaneous: SUNGLASSES and SUNSCREEN

• hansash's Profile Photo

by hansash Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Keep it under 50 pounds! Try carrying it for 1 day in hometown,and then just think of how long you'll be gone!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Wear most of it all the time! Check out the local weather on the internet...It may be hot during the day but,freezing at night! Buy clothing at a local thrift store when you get to 'wear' you're going!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sinus pills...Elevation changes can be a pain. Bandaids! BabyPowder for between showers! If you're roughing it forget Hair Supplies;shampoo maybe but,gel,hairspray and krap....NOT!!!!

Photo Equipment: Disposable camera with flash! works for me...Purchase postcards...but,don't send them! Keep them for yourself! They make a nice album. Have someone take a few pics of Y-O-U!!!! Be careful if you got an expensive camera,It could get stolen. It happened to me in Washington D.C. !!!

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: two pairs of shoes: a pair of boots and some light pair of converse 'chuck Taylor' all-stars tennis shoes...their light and comfortable...and they dry quick.

Miscellaneous: Water purification system the 2 liter ones are better...Remember H2O weighes about 8 lbs. per gallon! I can go through that pretty quick! carry both...if you can! they Iodine pills are supossed to work fine too! Duct Tape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• venusdmoon72's Profile Photo

by venusdmoon72 Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Don't carry so much stuff, there is sufficient shopping to do there! Try to travel there as light as possible, but bring enough bags, but you could buy a suitcase or two from there! Kill two birds with one stone.
    If worst comes to worst, just ship the extra stuff back home. You may opt for them to come by ship, and it takes longer, but it's worth it!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If it's around summer, light clothes, nothing too heavy or even too dressy. Smart casual is the way to go.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Again, just the essentials. Carry loads of deodorant though, all the walking can really bring up a sweat.

Photo Equipment: Camera, digital camera (with enough fild and batteries, in case not digital) Small compact type camera, you don't want to flash it around too much.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Comfortable shoes and your bathing suit and spare towel should be handy. You never know if you drive through one of Cali's beautiful beach spots and there are lots of those!

by carbon Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: pack for everything immaginable the weather is unpredictable and the culture requires all types of dress

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: prepare to walk stand and drive

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: advil is a must

Photo Equipment: auto focus is great

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: the bugs will annoy you and watch out for the jelly fish

Miscellaneous: jeans will protect you legs if you like to hike

• MargotB's Profile Photo

by MargotB Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: I don't carry any luggage because then I would be delayed at the airport and border interminably.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Take a sweater anytime you go the desert area of California, because in the hot season [most of the year] everything is air-conditioned and cold.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Have medical insurance because if you should have a prolonged stay in a hospital, your bill could run to over a million dollars.

• tmmcgrath's Profile Photo

by tmmcgrath Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: backpack (mid-size), one or two small duffles

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: ...for Glacier National Park...I carry rain/snow gear in my trails pack when setting out on a hot July morning. The layer system...build up (or down) from shorts and a t-shirt, solid boots in summer. This busy summer tourist town hibernates come winter...if you are one of the very-very few who come to see the splendid, sometimes surreal winter in these mountains, bring all of your warmest clothes. However, the Chinook winds of January (especially) can bring temperatures up from well below freezing to 60 degrees F. Be prepared for wind on the east side of the park, rain on the west side...prepare for everything, always. And enjoy this landscape that cannot be fully explored/comprehended in a lifetime.

Photo Equipment: I carry about 10 to 25 pounds of it...but then, I make part of my living from photographs. If you travel...anywhere, it is worth have quality, though a modest amount of camera gear. You get whatcha pay for.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Camping in Glacier...I always set up a tent, but often sleep beneath the sky if the weather is clear. Again, on the east side of the park, stake your tent well against the frequent winds blowing down from the Divide.

• XHIKINGMEN's Profile Photo

by XHIKINGMEN Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: Spread you stuff in 3 different bags;
    1-The big suite case/back pack for the big ¨hardwear¨
    aka important things very embarassing/over sized that
    you realy need but not anytimes as cloths.
    kept locked to the hotel room at at the destination

2-The daily pack/belt for the camera,batteries,digital kodak, any valuable/usefull relative object you need for the moment while visiting/sporting/working.
    daily 45 to 65 LITTERS belt 6 to 32 litters
    3- The fisher man's or tactical vest...
    CLOSER to you is for you all kind of I.D.'S, medical prescriptions VERY VERY valuable tings MONEY+PERMITS+
    PASSEPORT+VISAS etc...

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: The underwears synthetic (spandex+licra+polyester+
    polypropylene)...direcly on your skin.
    The liner... always synthetic or natural whool

The gore-tex suits aka body armor over all that
    Summer time use cargo pants/shirt (with zipper on legs and arms when the weather changes or when you are in a islamic or holy places...)

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: ALWAYS cary your prescripted drugs on you ,make sure that you are allowed to have it where you go even it's prescripted .
    your PERSONAL or FAMILIAL TDS must be adapted for you and your co-travellers illness/deseases or/injuries and being trained to use it ...

Photo Equipment: use baggies for the ¨delicate electronic stuff¨+
    always carrying spear parts as battery or any else
    sencive parts of your material.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: So much to say!!!

Maybe something like;
    Keep your body extremety(feet+fingers+head)
    dry and warm and clean as possible, you'll staying out of trouble

Miscellaneous: I keep a hygienic towel in my fist aid bag for important/bloody injurys...

by mar112 Updated Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: Watch you bags! We met another couple & they put down their carry-on bag & a person claiming to be with the vacation tour took their bag. When they got to the hotel he did not have it. After filing several reports w/ the local police dept. & Continental Airlines the baggage was never recovered! Just make sure you watch your bags!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Pack light! It very hot, especially in July! T-Shirts, tank tops, shorts, summer dresses & skirts. For the men maybe have them bring one pair of casual pants just incase you go into a nice restaurant.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sunscreen, Pepto & Ammodium AD. If you need items the Pharmacies have lots of items that cost little to nothing.

Photo Equipment: Make sure to buy an underwater camera that goes to @ least 30'. The underwater sea life is beautiful!

• Aragina's Profile Photo

by Aragina Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: take what you can carry

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: With such a vast land area. I suggest you check out the area you want to go to and check out the members pages who live or who have been there.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: As far as Canada ans the USA are concerned you can get all you need in those countries.

Photo Equipment: As far as Canada ans the USA are concerned you can get all you need in those countries

• emankinen's Profile Photo

by emankinen Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: Depending on where you are going...and the time of year...sometimes just a backpack full of a couples days worth of clothing (including a swimsuit) is enough. If you are travelling by car...there are plenty of rest stops, parks with shower facilities, along the road restaurants, etc..to keep you from having to lug too many suitcases around. You can usually find shopping malls everywhere, so you can buy what you didn't bring.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: During the warm months in CA shorts, tank tops, swim suits, sandals, tennis shoes/sneakers and a sweatshirt or lightweight jacket should suffice.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: First Aid kit with stuff for insect bites, stings; make sure you have shampoo and soap to wash the saltwater and sand off yourself at the beaches, keep some anti itch lotion/cream handy in case you run into some poison oak/ivy.

by Hope_angel13 Written Aug 25, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: No matter where you go, always take your swimwear. From Canada to Mexico, you never know where you'll find somewhere to swim, plus they're easy to pack.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Always carry antibacterial, extra t.p., and asprin.

by jem16 Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: soft-sided expandable bags are best, can tuck so many more things in.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Good walking shoes or hiking boots. Also raincoats or other wet-weather gear for Vancouver and Fraser Canyon. (it rains a lot there)

Photo Equipment: Camera with wide-angle lens and telescopic lens for the mountain scenery.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: good air-mattress and warm sleeping bag with ground sheet.

• pamelajoy's Profile Photo

by pamelajoy Updated Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags:
    Pack light. You can always pick up what you need along the way.
    I prefer the luggage that doubles as a closet. You hang it and then the clothes hang inside the bag. I have a Samsonite set purchased in 1999 that has so many compartments that I rarely need to take any other bag with me.
    Except my purse which doubles as a dayplanner.
    A collapsible bag to put in my luggage to bring home all the stuff I buy on the trip.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear:
    One windbreakerone sweatshirtone dressy sweaterPant suit with a matching skirtSeveral T-shirts and sweat pants that can double as sleeping and swim cover-ups
    Scarves and jewelry to make the outfits look different.If you are traveling in the winter time, you may have to take along a heavier coat.

I have a down parka that works great in all weather and is also water resistant. I've worn it in Florida at Walt Disney World when they have had unseasonably cool weather and I was never too hot.
    Choose comfortable shoes.
    Save fashion for home. I like runner's athletic shoes the best, and my favorite brands are Nike and Adidas.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies:
    If you have medication you take regularly, always carry it on your person.
    I've made up a special plastic zippered case with everything I need for every trip. I use it at home, too. That way I know that it has everything I need when I go on a trip. I keep a one month supply in this case at all times. So I'm ready to go on a moment's notice.
    The same goes for my toiletries. If you use your travel bag as a daily make up kit, then you know you have everything you need.

I keep an extra set of my basic toiletries in another bag, so that I can refill my travel bag without going to the store if I have an unexpected trip and I need to leave quickly. However, like I said before, you can always pick up what you need along the way.
    Carry an extra prescription for your glasses and your medications just in case.

Photo Equipment: I carry two cameras.
    I have a Nikon that I use for most of my pictures. It's heavy, though.
    So I bought a pocket Olympus that I can carry in the smallest pocket.
    I also bring along a flash
    extra film and
    batteries.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Always bring along a swimming suit. You never know when the hotel will have an indoor heated pool. My sister has a pool and a hot tub so I never want to visit her without my suit.

Miscellaneous: I usually have a book that I've been wanting to read that I save just for traveling. It's great to fill in those moments when there's waiting or just nothing else to do.
    Travel journal
    Stamps for postcards.
    Sometimes it's hard to find a post office when you need one, and who wants to get a postcard that you mailed after you got home?
    Address book that I keep in my dayplanner.  See item 3.

• lexnrena's Profile Photo

by lexnrena Written Aug 24, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Canada is a first world country and you can get any thing you want here. Depending on the value of the dollar compared to the money where you come from will decide how cheep or expensive it is to buy things here.
    Canada also has a very diverse climate so read up on the regions you plan to visit and plan to have the proper clothing for the season.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: One of the best stores in Vancouver is MOUNTAIN EQUIPMENT CO-OP.
    This store has any of the outdoor equipment, or clothing you might need to tackle our rugged country.

• jtb2inky's Profile Photo

by jtb2inky Written Aug 24, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Family Travel

Miscellaneous: Here are some general packing tips for travelling with very young children: >Diapers - pack only what you need for the flight to your destination and the first day there. Once on the ground buy just enough to get you home. Diapers are bulky and it pays off to not have too many stuffed into you bags. >Diaper Bag - Fill it up and treat it as a carry-on item. If there is extra space in the bag you can use it for items other than what would normally go in there, or for souvenirs on the return trip. >Crib - We have traveled many times with a crib, and it is surprisingly easy. However, I would generally recommend that you use the hotel or B&B's crib if available. Having one less large thing to haul around is a good thing. >Car Seat - Traveling with a car seat is very easy. Just bring it with you to the ticket counter when you check in for your flight, and check it in as luggage. They will wrap it in a big plastic bag for you (If they don't ask them to do so). Make sure you tag the car seat with you contact information. For trips where we have the rental car for the entire length of the trip I bring my own car seat. For trips where I am only using the rental car part of the time I opt for the car seat from the rental car company. Typically car seats rent for $5-$8 per day. So if you rent your car for a week you have paid for a new car seat in essence. If however you spend several days in the city depending on the metro and do not need a car seat, it may be worth paying the extra cost rather than lugging your own through the town. >Stroller - The first time we traveled with our very young son we were unsure what to do with the stroller. We opted to bring the small collapsible stroller as checked-in luggage rather than using our bigger stroller. We were wrong on that count. With a stroller there is no need to check it in at the counter. Keep your child in the stroller at the airport (other than at the security gates where they will have to be removed). When you are called to board the plane simply stroll (literally) down the tarmac and just before getting on the plane, gate check the stroller. Make sure you get a receipt that matches a tag that will go on the stroller. When you de-board your stroller will be waiting for you immediately when you get off the plane. Knowing all this we figured out that the bigger stroller was the way to go. It had plenty of compartment space that allowed us to stow our bags while we walked around. Depending which cities you are in strollers may or may not be easy to work with. Some metro systems have very good stroller accessibility with elevators. Others have very little to help you get around with a stroller. In these cases, use an infant-carrier backpack, or just go for broke and slowly navigate the stairs with the stroller. It is a workout to be sure - but it is worth it. Almost always someone will offer to help you lift the stroller up or down the stairs. >General - If you can manage it, travel with friends - whether they have kids or not themselves. An extra pair of understanding hands always helps. Plus, if both couples have kids, they can trade off in the evenings watching the kids so that the other couple can take in a show or go to a nice restaurant. The best tip that I can offer for traveling with children is - just do it (Stealing a line from a famous shoe marketer). Is it challenging? Yes. Is it hard at times? Yes. But it is more rewarding that you can imagine. It forces you to slow down and smell the roses. You will meet more people that you can ever imagine! They come right up to you - to meet the children. Don't be afraid of trying it.

North America Hotels

720 Reviews - 1265 Photos
Toronto Hotels
4304 Reviews - 8873 Photos

Instant Answers: North America

Comments

North America What to Pack

Reviews and photos of North America what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for North America sightseeing.
Map of North America