Saint-Pierre Transportation

www.airsaintpierre.com

• BlaineandPat's Profile Photo

Ferry service to St Pierre

by BlaineandPat Updated Feb 19, 2006
    When traveling to France, wear a friendly shirt

We were advised to make reservations for the ferry, but we traveled to the island on a Sunday in August, 2005 and the ferry was lightly booked. Considering only one trip a day is offered I doubt it fills up.

When we went there was one daily trip offered at 2:45pm. In the non-summer season I believe only two trips a week are offered. The crossing takes 55 minutes and the boat is a modern hydrofoil (A gift from France). While our crossing was smooth I believe the ocean can get quite rough as all personal luggage is taken and secured upon entry to the boat - including briefcases. So take out a good book before boarding. Because I'm indecisive about what to read I took out at least four - causing the man stowing the luggage to laugh and remark that the trip was only 55 minutes. Why must the French always sneer at me? The stowage area is in the rear of the boat and is passed as you board, allowing you the chance to drop off your luggage as you enter and claim it as you exit. It's locked up for the duration of the trip.

We run late when we travel. Always. So of course I assumed “allow four hours” was the advice for slow old people. WRONG. Allow 4 hours. I had to push it the entire trip and then, as it finally appeared we would make it without a last minute panicked dash....we got a flat tire. I've never changed one so quickly (or with so much profanity) in my life. ALLOW FOUR HOURS FROM ST JOHN'S. The roads out of St John's are confusing.

The ferry leaves from Fortune Newfoundland. Arrive an hour before departure. Once in town you’ll need to park at a remote lot and take a shuttle to the dock. There is a charge for parking. From the dock you’ll need to walk back into town a block as the tickets aren’t sold at the dock. The come from a Lake's travel agency a short distance away in town. Once on the boat head immediately to the 2nd level and get a window seat that's not obstructed by lifeboats.

French customs is cleared in St Pierre on the way to the island and Canadian customs is cleared in Fortune on the return.

• Cruise

• BlaineandPat's Profile Photo

Airline service to St Pierre

by BlaineandPat Updated Feb 7, 2006
    Saint Pierre Airport Terminal

There are two main ways to travel to St Pierre: Fly or take the ferry from Newfoundland. We took (and recommend) the ferry on our journey, but flying is an option

The only carrier to St Pierre is Air St Pierre - which operates from a beautiful new airport and terminal within walking distance of downtown (Although EVERYTHING is within walking distance of downtown). The new airport was recently built by France and replaced an airport that literally had a runway downtown. The new airport was built to handle jets as large as a 737 and with the hope that the city would become a stopover for private jets transiting between Europe and the US. Sadly, that doesn't appear to be happening.

Air St Pierre flies to Halifax and Sydney NS, St John's NF, Montreal QB, and Moncton NB. It averages about 10 flights a week (Mostly on ATR 42's - a mid sized commuter aircraft)

The airline isn't affiliated with other carriers, and is the only commercial service to the island.

Instant Answers: Saint-Pierre

Comments

Saint-Pierre Transportation

Reviews and photos of Saint-Pierre transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint-Pierre sightseeing.