Did you mean?Try your search again
Bay Minette has several buildings surrounding the courthouse and on the nearby streets that are of historical and architectural interest.
Updated Jul 21, 2011
Bay Minette is the county seat of Baldwin County the second-fastest growing county in Alabama, and is located in the southwestern part of the state. Bay Minette got its name from nearby Minette Bay, named for a French surveyor named Minet. Bay Minette was not the first county seat for Baldwin County, which was established in 1809, making it the third oldest county in Alabama. The first county seat location was at McIntosh Bluff on the Tombigbee River, but it was transferred to Blakely only one year later, in 1810. In 1898, the State Legislature decided to move the county seat to Daphne. In 1900, the Alabama State Legislature officially named Bay Minette the county seat, and on October 1, 1901, Bay Minette town leaders officially dedicated a courthouse in the town. The city of Daphne resisted its loss of status, however, and refused to surrender the powers of government. Some men from Bay Minette traveled 30 miles to Daphne, stole the Baldwin County Courthouse records, and delivered them to the new courthouse in Bay Minette. Thus, the town was established as the Baldwin County seat. The original courthouse burned to the ground and was replaced by the current one.
The courthouse grounds also include a Veteran's Monument.
Written Apr 4, 2010
Address: 312 Courthouse Square # 10
The Bottle Creek Site was occupied between 1250 and 1550 AD, and served as the focal point for interaction with other Mississippian culture areas along the coast and the interior of the Southeastern United States. The site is located on Mound Island in the Mobile-Tensaw River delta and includes 18 earthen mounds ranging p to 45 feet in height. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been declared a National Historic Landmark.
I did not get to go to the site; just saw the monument in Bay Minette.
Written Apr 4, 2010