Birmingham Restaurants

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Rogue Tavern: Rogue Tavern

by butterflykizzez04 Written Mar 16, 2014
    Kona Longboard

Saturday, March 8th, Tony and I was walking in the LOFT DISTRICT of Birmingham, YES..looking for a pub..he had earned a cold beer on this lovely day of URBAN HIKING and Photo taking. Thanks to our YELP app we were routed to this gorgeous area and great pub..and believe me it is NOT SMALL inside..I bet this place is hopping on the weekends... There is a huge Beer selection and a full menu, not just your typical bar foods. We didn't eat but we did enjoy a nice conversation with the owner. Tony drank KONA LONGBOARD a Hawaiian Crafted Draft and he said it was very good. I had a sip..Not bad, but I am not a real beer drinker anymore and it all taste the same to me. I had a nice sweet southern iced tea. After our drink, on to the next urban siting

• Singles
    • Beer Tasting

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Gus's Hot Dogs: Gus's Hot Dogs

by butterflykizzez04 Written Mar 11, 2014

SPECIAL DOG

Saturday, March 8th, Tony and I was visiting Birmingham. We spent the morning investigating and enjoying the Tannehill Ironworks Historical Site..hiking around and enjoying history of Iron Ore and how it is made...very fascinating. then we drove the 30 minutes into Birmingham.

We found on-street parking (FREE ON SATURDAY and SUNDAYS at the meters) and started walking around checking out old buildings, the architecture and old churches...we decided we were hungry so I used my trusty YELP APP to find near by restaurants and it pointed us in tthe direction of Gus's Hot Dogs...so we started our my directions link and walked right to their ffront door..(((( GREAT APP BY THE WAY))))

Well, when we opened the door, I almost turned around...but we went in. The place is very small and narrow. I am slightly claustrophobic but I tried not to panic..the cooking area takes most of the space. It has a high counter top so that way he is sort of looking down at you ..or at least me anyway, I am only 4' 11....

We checked out the menu..the prices were unbelievable ...so cheap!!! No alcohol is served. No bathroom. No tables only a counter top running around the walls with bar stools maybe 10 total..on the counter tops there are hot sauce, salt pepper, napkins and cayenne pepper in shakers along with the salt and pepper. They make breakfast also..they have fried bologna sandwiches...sounded good!!!

We ordered 2 hot dogs (one chili cheese and one special dog) and a medium drink for only $5.00 including taxes!!!! Hell that is the price of one Hot Dog alone in Nashville!!!!
    The hot dogs were amazing. I split the two hot dogs in half so that way we could share them. We only one hot dog each because we never had them and wanted to make sure they were good besides we might find more food around the corner we want to try..didn't want to get full in one seating...

OMG !!! one bite of the Special dog and I was hooked. It was a combination of sweet and savory with a touch of heat...I didn't even have to add salt and pepper..this has to be one of the best HOT DOGS in all of my 50 years on earth...
    The chili cheese dog was good, mainly spicy from the chili..I could and would eat it again but the Special Dog was my favorite.

As we left I left a $1 tip in the tip jar for the cook. Told him it was amazing and he was all smiles. We told him we were from Nashville, visiting for the day and he invited us back. The most expensive thing on the menu was a double cheese burger for $3.75 and all prices include the taxes. No Credit Cards accepted and no credit given. Cash only !!!

Well, Tony and I left and walked around for a few hours more and then decided, HECK I want another Gus HOT DOG before we leave this city..so we mapped our way back to 4th Ave North to get another GREAT HOT DOG..I opened the door and said "We are back" and the cook behind the counter smiled and laughed...You want your usual? I said "YEP" give us another round..so we got exactly the same thing again and shared them again...I was full!!! after 2 hot dogs over the course of 4 hrs I couldn't eat another bit, but Tony smiled and said I need at least two more Special Dogs..so he ate 2 additional dogs by himself..

We are definitely going to be enjoying Gus's HOT DOGS in the future. I told Tony, whenever we are in the area, even if just driving by Birmingham or within a 100 mile radius..I have to drop in...and grab myself a "Special Dog" at Gus's on 4th!!!

YOU HAVE TO TRY THEM!!!!
    Let me know what you think!!!!

full moon: bar-b-q

by doug48 Updated Dec 2, 2011

full moon bar-b-q

the full moon bar-b-q is a birmingham area insititution. the full moon serves excellent chopped pork bar-b-q as well as chicken and ribs. the full moon is my favorite bar-b-q restaurant in birmingham. there are three full moon locations in the birmingham area, see their web site for directions.

• RhondaRuth's Profile Photo

Jim 'N Nick's 11th Avenue Grill: BBQ Heaven!

by RhondaRuth Updated Apr 4, 2011

11th Avenue Grill Smokehouse

Features delicious steaks, seafood, bar-b-q, chicken, pork and much more.

Check out their menu on the website below. Good food and great prices!

Favorite Dish: I had the Pig in the Potato Patch for $6.99.
    Baked potatoe is topped with butter, sour cream, cheddar cheese, scallions, real bacon, hickory smoked pork and bar-b-q sauce. First time I ever had anything like this and boy was it m-mm-m-m, GOOD! What did you ask? Is it on my diet?
    ...What diet?!!

jim n' nick's: bar-b-q

jim n' nick's

jim n' nick's is another good bar-b-q restaurant in the 5 points section of downtown birmingham. jim n' nick's has three locations in the birmingham area. for chopped pork bar-b-q my personal favorite is the full moon but if you like bar-b-q you will not be disappointed with jim n' nick's.

golden rule: bar-b-q

golden rule

the golden rule is another excellent bar-b-q restaurant in birmingham. the golden rule has ten locations in the birmingham area. the golden rule serves chopped pork bar-b-q, chicken, and ribs. my favorite bar-b-q restaurant in birmingham is the full moon but the golden rule is a very close second. if you like pork bar-b-q you will not be disappointed.

bambinelli's: italian

bambinelli's

bambinelli's is a very good italian restaurant in the english village section of nearby mountain brook. good italian cuisine moderately priced. when visiting the birmingham area the town of mountain brook has a number of excellent restaurants and bars.

fuego cantina: mexican-american

fuego cantina

fuego cantina is a new mexican-american restaurant in the 5 points section of downtown birmingham. fuego cantina offers both mexican and american fare. they have a very nice outdoor patio which is a nice place to have a margrarita or two.

the veranda: southern cuisine

the veranda

the veranda is a very good restaurant located near the 5 points section of downtown birmingham. they serve american dishes with a southern accent. on sundays they have a jazz brunch which is fun. the veranda is one of the better restaurants in birmingham.

bottega: italian

bottega

bottega is an excellent italian restaurant near the 5 points section of downtown birmingham. very good italian and american cuisine in a nice cafe style atmosphere. in my opinion the best italian restaurant in birmingham. reservations recommended.

• galaxyrain's Profile Photo

Milo's: A local yet different kind of burger joint

by galaxyrain Updated Jan 23, 2009

If you are looking for something quick and inexpensive, but not the same burger joints, you should give Milo's a try. It is a locally owned fast food restaurant (around 6 different locations) within the birmingham metro area.

Favorite Dish: I actually love their cheeseburgers, fries, and sweet tea. Their burgers are unique having a zest bbq sauce topped with onions. But what I think is cool is the extra piece of meat on each hamburger. For some reason they put, what looks like miniature burger patty on top of the main one. Kinda cool and different. Their fries are good too, with a special seasoning to them. Of course what they are famous for is their sweet tea. I think it is made with brown sugar and it is actually sold in grocery stores locally.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Old Smokey BBQ: CB is not Chipped Beef

by grandmaR Updated Oct 18, 2007

Bob at the door

I asked the lady at the desk at the Barber Motorsport Museum where a good place to eat would be, and she told us about a Golden Rule BBQ which she said was along the road toward Birmingham.

But Bob thought we would have to go back to Leeds. So we stopped at Old Smoky BBQ instead. .

Favorite Dish: They had two specials - a BBQ special and a CB special. I asked Bob what CB was and he said chipped beef, but it turned out to be a cheeseburger. Anyway that was what I had and Bob had a bbq sandwich.

• ronin6's Profile Photo

Nicks: Best southern food!

by ronin6 Written Jun 21, 2007

Nikis West is a local favorite that has been in buisness for decades. It offers authentic southern food in a buffet style that costs less than $8 for a main and two sides. Niki's does a lot of to-go orders and the take-out menu lists more than 40 daily fresh vegetables and homemade salads. Meats change daily with ten choices. Patrons dining in should not be discouraged by a long cafeteria line---service is brisk and the line moves quickly. Lemon-pepper catfish, baked Greek chicken and country-fried steak are recommended, and it's hard to miss with the vegetables. From the dinner menu, Greek snapper is particularly good.

Favorite Dish: I had the main roasted chicken with a side of fried green tomatoes and fried ocra.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Jim'n Nick's Bar-BQ-Ketchup on the table: A good American Steak

by Luchonda Updated Oct 27, 2005

Nick's Bar-BQ

A chain of American restaurants, you will find in every important US state and/or city where you can taste some real good food at an acceptable price and good fresh quality.
    Here you will find a special architecture and photographs of Birmingham on the wall
    Atlanta - the state of Co-Cola.

Favorite Dish: Bar-BQ in Birmingham, this is where you will find it. Everything is made fresh, from the hand-cut fries ( not comparable with the french/belgian fries!!) to the homemade onion rings, the ribs, pork, beef /chicken and the salades having a typical sour but great flavour...
    The restaurants are closing at 9 pm - a pitty for "Bourgondian diner lovers" like we are,
    Paperrazzia from Belgium, members of a team, origin : Europe/Ghent - but is Ghent near Paris or Amsterdam? A geographic puzzle for most of the american people.

• Beer Tasting

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Olive garden: Share Italian generosity

by Luchonda Updated Oct 10, 2005

Vedute di Roma

Favorite Italian to go
    Generous family-sized Italian meals that make party planning easy
    The Paperrazzia team had a great time here, among Honda colleguas all over the world.
    Thanks Brad, Brenda, Cindy and Cedric and many others that we could take part of this splendid evening

Favorite Dish: Appetizers - breadsticks - garden fresh salads and filled pastas

• Business Travel
    • Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Birmingham

Comments

Birmingham Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Birmingham restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Birmingham sightseeing.