Birmingham Restaurants

• Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Birmingham

Continental Cafe: Best Cheesecake

by lisa_lise Updated Jun 30, 2004

Tried both the plain and the marble cheesecake. The marble was pretty good; the plain supreme! Super waitstaff; day-old bread is half-price. Cozy atmosphere with dark red walls and mosaic tabletops.

Favorite Dish: Dessert: Plain cheesecake, costs just under $3. Sandwich: Cream cheese and olive (they'll add turkey for a small fee).

Cozy in the corner of Continental Cafe
    • Women's Travel

Nabeel's Cafe: Chicken Slouvaki and Fried Pita Bread

by lisa_lise Updated Jun 30, 2004

Good chicken slouvaki, which was chunks of seasoned grilled chicken and ripe red tomotoes in a creamy, zesty cucumber sauce, all wrapped in pita bread. Can choose from about 10 breads, including focaccia. Also tried the muffaletta sandwich. It was good, but I'm very picky and I've honestly had the best muffaletta in my hometown (San Antonio). Fried pita bread chips accompany all sandwiches--yum--remind me of fried wonton strips. Don't bother with caramel crisp cake, which is alternating layers of pecan merangue and caramel cake. Top layer was delicious; bottom layer dry and crumbly.

Favorite Dish: Chicken slouvaki was my favorite of the two I tried, and the waiter said it was one of their most popular. The only flaw was the chicken was not as tender as I would've liked, but it was still well-seasoned. The best thing about the sandwich was the zesty cucumber sauce, which is refreshing in summer.

• Business Travel
    • Women's Travel

• RhondaRuth's Profile Photo

Jim 'N Nick's 11th Avenue Grill: BBQ Heaven!

by RhondaRuth Updated Apr 4, 2011

Features delicious steaks, seafood, bar-b-q, chicken, pork and much more.

Check out their menu on the website below. Good food and great prices!

Favorite Dish: I had the Pig in the Potato Patch for $6.99.
    Baked potatoe is topped with butter, sour cream, cheddar cheese, scallions, real bacon, hickory smoked pork and bar-b-q sauce. First time I ever had anything like this and boy was it m-mm-m-m, GOOD! What did you ask? Is it on my diet?
    ...What diet?!!

11th Avenue Grill Smokehouse

• RhondaRuth's Profile Photo

The Wedding Chapel: A Tea Room Luncheon is a MUST down South!

by RhondaRuth Updated Jul 10, 2003

We had lunch here after seeing the Designer's ShowHouse. It was a lovely lunch too! Tea Room or Victorian Tea Houses are very popular down south. Of course it a "ladies thing" right? I loved it and would love to go again.

Favorite Dish: I had the Veriety Salad Plate and it was delicious.
    I was pleased with what I got (no regrets)!

Wedding Chapel & Teahouse

Safari Coffee Cup: Best Quiche To Ever Touch My Tongue

by lisa_lise Updated Jun 30, 2004

Owned by a mellow, friendly South African man. First floor is cafe furnished with African-inspired chairs and tables. Vaulted ceiling and huge store-front windows give an airy, elegant feel. Second floor is a gallery featuring art by local talented high school students. The stars of the menu are the Kalahari Quiche and the chai (which comes in 4 flavors).

Favorite Dish: Kalahari Quiche, which comes with either mushrooms or sausage. I got mushroom and my friend got sausage. Accompanied by mediocre pasta salad, but the quiche is moist and amazing. My friend loves their chai. Wild berry smoothie was icy and not worth eating.

• Study Abroad

the veranda: southern cuisine

by doug48 Updated Aug 16, 2009

the veranda is a very good restaurant located near the 5 points section of downtown birmingham. they serve american dishes with a southern accent. on sundays they have a jazz brunch which is fun. the veranda is one of the better restaurants in birmingham.

the veranda

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Old Smokey BBQ: CB is not Chipped Beef

by grandmaR Updated Oct 18, 2007

I asked the lady at the desk at the Barber Motorsport Museum where a good place to eat would be, and she told us about a Golden Rule BBQ which she said was along the road toward Birmingham.

But Bob thought we would have to go back to Leeds. So we stopped at Old Smoky BBQ instead. .

Favorite Dish: They had two specials - a BBQ special and a CB special. I asked Bob what CB was and he said chipped beef, but it turned out to be a cheeseburger. Anyway that was what I had and Bob had a bbq sandwich.

Bob at the door Sign My CB Sign Menu

bottega: italian

by doug48 Written Aug 16, 2009

bottega is an excellent italian restaurant near the 5 points section of downtown birmingham. very good italian and american cuisine in a nice cafe style atmosphere. in my opinion the best italian restaurant in birmingham. reservations recommended.

bottega

bambinelli's: italian

by doug48 Written Aug 16, 2009

bambinelli's is a very good italian restaurant in the english village section of nearby mountain brook. good italian cuisine moderately priced. when visiting the birmingham area the town of mountain brook has a number of excellent restaurants and bars.

bambinelli's

full moon: bar-b-q

by doug48 Updated Dec 2, 2011

the full moon bar-b-q is a birmingham area insititution. the full moon serves excellent chopped pork bar-b-q as well as chicken and ribs. the full moon is my favorite bar-b-q restaurant in birmingham. there are three full moon locations in the birmingham area, see their web site for directions.

full moon bar-b-q

golden rule: bar-b-q

by doug48 Updated Aug 16, 2009

the golden rule is another excellent bar-b-q restaurant in birmingham. the golden rule has ten locations in the birmingham area. the golden rule serves chopped pork bar-b-q, chicken, and ribs. my favorite bar-b-q restaurant in birmingham is the full moon but the golden rule is a very close second. if you like pork bar-b-q you will not be disappointed.

golden rule

jim n' nick's: bar-b-q

by doug48 Updated Aug 16, 2009

jim n' nick's is another good bar-b-q restaurant in the 5 points section of downtown birmingham. jim n' nick's has three locations in the birmingham area. for chopped pork bar-b-q my personal favorite is the full moon but if you like bar-b-q you will not be disappointed with jim n' nick's.

jim n' nick's

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Jim'n Nick's Bar-BQ-Ketchup on the table: A good American Steak

by Luchonda Updated Oct 27, 2005

A chain of American restaurants, you will find in every important US state and/or city where you can taste some real good food at an acceptable price and good fresh quality.
    Here you will find a special architecture and photographs of Birmingham on the wall
    Atlanta - the state of Co-Cola.

Favorite Dish: Bar-BQ in Birmingham, this is where you will find it. Everything is made fresh, from the hand-cut fries ( not comparable with the french/belgian fries!!) to the homemade onion rings, the ribs, pork, beef /chicken and the salades having a typical sour but great flavour...
    The restaurants are closing at 9 pm - a pitty for "Bourgondian diner lovers" like we are,
    Paperrazzia from Belgium, members of a team, origin : Europe/Ghent - but is Ghent near Paris or Amsterdam? A geographic puzzle for most of the american people.

Nick's Bar-BQ
    • Beer Tasting

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Gus's Hot Dogs: Gus's Hot Dogs

by butterflykizzez04 Written Mar 11, 2014

Saturday, March 8th, Tony and I was visiting Birmingham. We spent the morning investigating and enjoying the Tannehill Ironworks Historical Site..hiking around and enjoying history of Iron Ore and how it is made...very fascinating. then we drove the 30 minutes into Birmingham.

We found on-street parking (FREE ON SATURDAY and SUNDAYS at the meters) and started walking around checking out old buildings, the architecture and old churches...we decided we were hungry so I used my trusty YELP APP to find near by restaurants and it pointed us in tthe direction of Gus's Hot Dogs...so we started our my directions link and walked right to their ffront door..(((( GREAT APP BY THE WAY))))

Well, when we opened the door, I almost turned around...but we went in. The place is very small and narrow. I am slightly claustrophobic but I tried not to panic..the cooking area takes most of the space. It has a high counter top so that way he is sort of looking down at you ..or at least me anyway, I am only 4' 11....

We checked out the menu..the prices were unbelievable ...so cheap!!! No alcohol is served. No bathroom. No tables only a counter top running around the walls with bar stools maybe 10 total..on the counter tops there are hot sauce, salt pepper, napkins and cayenne pepper in shakers along with the salt and pepper. They make breakfast also..they have fried bologna sandwiches...sounded good!!!

We ordered 2 hot dogs (one chili cheese and one special dog) and a medium drink for only $5.00 including taxes!!!! Hell that is the price of one Hot Dog alone in Nashville!!!!
    The hot dogs were amazing. I split the two hot dogs in half so that way we could share them. We only one hot dog each because we never had them and wanted to make sure they were good besides we might find more food around the corner we want to try..didn't want to get full in one seating...

OMG !!! one bite of the Special dog and I was hooked. It was a combination of sweet and savory with a touch of heat...I didn't even have to add salt and pepper..this has to be one of the best HOT DOGS in all of my 50 years on earth...
    The chili cheese dog was good, mainly spicy from the chili..I could and would eat it again but the Special Dog was my favorite.

As we left I left a $1 tip in the tip jar for the cook. Told him it was amazing and he was all smiles. We told him we were from Nashville, visiting for the day and he invited us back. The most expensive thing on the menu was a double cheese burger for $3.75 and all prices include the taxes. No Credit Cards accepted and no credit given. Cash only !!!

Well, Tony and I left and walked around for a few hours more and then decided, HECK I want another Gus HOT DOG before we leave this city..so we mapped our way back to 4th Ave North to get another GREAT HOT DOG..I opened the door and said "We are back" and the cook behind the counter smiled and laughed...You want your usual? I said "YEP" give us another round..so we got exactly the same thing again and shared them again...I was full!!! after 2 hot dogs over the course of 4 hrs I couldn't eat another bit, but Tony smiled and said I need at least two more Special Dogs..so he ate 2 additional dogs by himself..

We are definitely going to be enjoying Gus's HOT DOGS in the future. I told Tony, whenever we are in the area, even if just driving by Birmingham or within a 100 mile radius..I have to drop in...and grab myself a "Special Dog" at Gus's on 4th!!!

YOU HAVE TO TRY THEM!!!!
    Let me know what you think!!!!

SPECIAL DOG Very Tiny but Very good !!! Chili Cheese Dog

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Olive garden: Share Italian generosity

by Luchonda Updated Oct 10, 2005

Favorite Italian to go
    Generous family-sized Italian meals that make party planning easy
    The Paperrazzia team had a great time here, among Honda colleguas all over the world.
    Thanks Brad, Brenda, Cindy and Cedric and many others that we could take part of this splendid evening

Favorite Dish: Appetizers - breadsticks - garden fresh salads and filled pastas

Vedute di Roma Brasilians in the USA Belgians in the USA Delicious food Canadians in the USA
    • Wine Tasting
    • Business Travel

Instant Answers: Birmingham

Comments

Birmingham Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Birmingham restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Birmingham sightseeing.