Fort Deposit Travel Guide

Wisteria Cottage
    Entrance to Priester's Pecans driveway
    by grandmaR
    Ribs, cabbage, squash and corn bread

Fort Deposit Restaurants

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Updated Jun 26, 2006

It was coming up to time for lunch and I was hungry as I had left without breakfast. Even though I had finished up a bag of cookies, I still wanted to eat. I saw a sign for Priester's Pecans at exit 142 off I-65 and was immediately attracted to that exit as I thought I might be able to buy pralines. So I told Bob to get off there.

He couldn't see the driveway to the pecan place, so we stopped at Tracy and Jay's place. A sign on the front said closed, but I could see people inside and there was someone cooking on the bbq out front (pictured). So we went in. There was no obvious sign about seating (wait to be seated or seat yourself), nor were there any menus. So we sat down.

A lady came over to see what we wanted to eat, and she recited the available items. Bob and I both ordered the minced pork sandwich but with different sides - he wanted fries and cole slaw and I didn't. She didn't have anything to write on, so she said "Hold that thought" and went back into the back. In the meantime, the man who had been cooking out front came in.

Favorite Dish: I saw that there was food apparently on a steam table, so I went up to see what it was. The ribs looked good. So I said I'd have the ribs, and steamed squash and cabbage instead of the chopped pork I ordered originally. The man who had been cooking in the front served me, giving me some corn bread in addition. A couple who was also standing there, also ordered and the woman ordered a hamburger and then changed her mind and got a cheeseburger.

I started to eat, but the ribs were so juicy that I was getting sauce on my nose in addition to both hands. So I went up to the counter to get some napkins or paper towels or something. He came out with two plates and wanted to know if I had ordered the chopped pork or the cheeseburger. I pointed to Bob and said "He gets the pork, and she" pointing to the lady "gets the cheeseburger". So he served them and then came back and gave me some napkins, remarking that I did have some on my face, but he liked to see people enjoy their food.

I do not know what anything cost but the bill after tax (which is 9% in Alabama) was $15.40.

Ribs, cabbage, squash and corn bread Sign outside Cooking BBQ Inside at the tables Bob's chopped pork and fries

Instant Answers: Fort Deposit

Comments

Fort Deposit Travel Guide
Map of Fort Deposit