Gulf Shores Favorites

• Favorites
    by ybilliesue
    This way to the beach!!!!
    by Jmill42
  • Favorites
    by kel_e

Best Rated Favorites in Gulf Shores

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

White sand...

by Jmill42 Written Feb 25, 2003

This way to the beach!!!!

Favorite thing: The best thing to do in Gulf Shores, no matter what your interests, is going to the beaches. Outside of Florida, these are the best beaches you will find along the Gulf coast. There is a bit of nightlife (but you'll have to drive a bit), a definite sports presence with the spectacular golf courses, and some good shopping. As with any tourist area, you have all the touristy things, but make no mistake, the beach is the main draw.

Fondest memory: Bar-B-Q'n outside of our condo after a day of Nerf football in the surf... sunburnt so bad, we couldn't sit down, and drinking into the night. Can't get any better than that in Alabama.

• Spa and Resort

• kel_e's Profile Photo

You must visit Fort Morgan! ...

by kel_e Written Oct 5, 2002

Favorite thing: You must visit Fort Morgan! It is full of history and very interesting. If you get out to the Fort early in the morning (5 am) and walk along the beach, you can collect shells that were washed up by the high tide. You can also see the dolphins jumping in the ocean during the magnificent sunrise.
    Take time to stop at all the pubs and resturants along the beach! They all have character of their own, and the people are very welcoming and fun. If you get to know the bartenders during your stay... they don't hesitate to give you cheap or free drinks to get your night going!
    Most of all... make a run out to the infamous Flora-Bama!! It is an awesome bar right on the Florida/Alabama border. They have wonderful music and a great atmosphere.

Fondest memory: I think the best memory is going down to AL with 5 other families every year. We all hooked up CB's in our cars and made the long haul to AL from WI (about 22 hour drive). Then we would meet up with a bunch of other families and friends from my hometown that would be down there. (for some reason, our whole town knew Gulf Shores was a hot spot for vacation)
    There were always kids my age, and when we got old enough to venture downtown and down the beach on our own... we met lots more people and made new friends.
    This last time I made it down (in 2000), I finally was old enough to experience the bar scene on my own and we had a blast!!!!!!
    Another funny memory of mine is from when we were about 17 years old. We were walking downtown one night to go out to eat (me and a bunch of friends my age). There was a Best Western along the road that had a lighted board for messages. The board said 'Indoor heated pool'. We, for some reason, felt the need to be rebellious and stole an 'L' from the board so it said 'Indoor heated Poo'. Everyday we walked by, and they had the L replaced with another L... so we would keep stealing it every day until we left. By the time we left, all of us had an L to take home as a souvenier. Oh, we thought we were sooooo cool back then! :)
    But, I really can't wait to go again!

• To each his own, but I love...

by ybilliesue Written Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: To each his own, but I love Fort Morgan for its privacy and beauty. We go in October when it is fairly quite.

Fondest memory: Papa Rocco's. love oysters! Pink Pony is nice too. The sunsets were awesome.

Instant Answers: Gulf Shores

Comments

Gulf Shores Favorites

Reviews and photos of Gulf Shores favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gulf Shores sightseeing.