Gulf Shores Restaurants

Little cheese breads
    by grandmaR

Best Rated Restaurants in Gulf Shores

• am&pm's Profile Photo

The Spot: "The Spot" hits the spot!!

by am&pm Updated Mar 18, 2006

This restaurant is directly on the beach with a cozily lit deck on which you can sit and eat your meal in the sea breezes. There is indoor dining as well, of course, and it is a place where anyone can feel at home, in pretty much any attire--provided you have the essentials covered and something on your feet! The food is simple but delicious and, as with all the local restaurants, has a great seafood selection.

Favorite Dish: Paul enjoyed the salmon---I can't recall what I ate there but whatever it was it was good because we went back for more later. My kids, not being very brave in their food ventures, played it safe with burgers and the like.

Godfather's Pizza: Unsuccessful Take-Out

by grandmaR Written Jan 3, 2006

Breadsticks $2.99

Bob went into Bruces' Supermarket which was next door and sent me into Godfather's Pizza to get some take-out for dinner. They had a sign on the door that said there was no longer a buffet. Not only did the pizza take longer to make than they said, and longer than it took Bob to shop, but as he pointed out, it would have been cheaper to buy a pizza at the market and probably quicker to cook it too.

Favorite Dish: I got a specialty pizza with a thick crust ($1.00 more). Half was bacon cheeseburger which had crumbled meat, bacon and cheese along with pickle slices on top (a bizare idea IMHO) and the other half was Hawaian which had pineapple bits, ham, green pepper and bacon. Most of the previous times I've had Hawaian it was just ham and pineapple. They could have left off the green pepper IMHO. Bob didn't like either of them, and I wasn't all that thrilled with them either. I also got bread sticks, which I liked.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Calpyso's: Crabmeat Gazpacho's... 'nuf said

by Jmill42 Written Nov 22, 2002

The crabmeat gazpacho's are really good. I had never heard of such a thing, and being the risktaker that I am, I went for it. I advise you do the same. Really good. My friend got a hamburger, that he said was really good, and it was massive!

Favorite Dish: Crabmeat Gazpacho

DeSoto's Seafood Kitchen: In the Best Gulf Shores Tradition

by grandmaR Updated Aug 10, 2006

Fish and anenonme in their fishtank

We went to this restaurant on the last day we were in Gulf Shores, and consequently I didn't write it up anywhere at the time. It was kind of hidden behind other places (that is, it isn't on the main highway), but was apparently a long term local favorite. The prices were most reasonable, and they offer a coupon that you can print off their website for

$1 Off Any Dinner Entree
    Valid only during Dinner Hours
    Excludes Senior Menu
    Not valid with any other offer

They had Senior Specials (3-5:30 3/15-10/14, 3-Close 10/15-3/14). They also had a children's menu, daily lunch specials, and a very extensive and beautiful salt water aquarium.

Examples of the lunch specials, which are all served 11-3 for $5.75

Monday Lunch Special - Fried Chicken served with choice of two sides, fresh baked rolls & Tea -

Tuesday Lunch Special - Bar-B-Q Meatloaf served with choice of two sides, fresh baked rolls & Tea

Wednesday Lunch Special - Chicken-N-Dumplins served with choice of two sides, fresh baked rolls & Tea

Thursday Lunch Special - Beef Tips over Rice served with choice of two sides, fresh baked rolls & Tea

Friday Lunch Special - Pecan Chicken Tenders served with fresh baked rolls & Tea

Favorite Dish: We both ate off the Senior menu. I had the grilled chicken breast and yellow rice ($6.99) , and then had Key Lime pie for dessert. Bob had fried oysters, cole slaw and sweet potato.

• Seniors

Original Oyster House: Since 1983

by grandmaR Updated Aug 27, 2006

Shrimp au Gratin with hush puppy and toast $13.99

The first time we tried to eat here it was closed (may it was because it was Monday or maybe it was because it was New Years). But eventually (January 3rd which was a Tuesday) we went when it was open. Apparently there is also a branch in Mobile on Battleship Parkway which was opened two years after the original Original in 1985.

They have Early Bird specials, and are smoke free. They also have a large Oyster shopping area.

The Original Oyster actually bought the Bayou Village Shopping Center (where the original Original is) in 1995. Their website says: "Nestled along the shore of the beautiful Gulf Shores bayou, Bayou Village is a quaint specialty shopping center with great stores including Birkenstock Shoes and Patagonia Sportswear."

Favorite Dish: Although the sun sets very early in January, we were able to watch the last little bit of the sunset from our table.

I had shrimp au Gratin with the salad bar and cheese grits for $13.90. Bob had a salad bar and gumbo $8.50

The bill before tip was $23.69

• Seniors

• kel_e's Profile Photo

1. The Spot2. McGuire's Irish...

by kel_e Written Oct 5, 2002

1. The Spot
    2. McGuire's Irish Pub (in Pensacola)
    3. Pink Pony Pub
    4. Hazel's (for breakfast- actually in Orange Beach, I think)
    The Spot is a little nicer... not a barefoot and bikini type place like the others. Very good food. We always went here for my birthday every year.
    The Pink Pony will take you in off the beach for some good music and good bar food.
    McGuire's.... Hmmmm, where do I start? This is a place you have to see for yourself! A very fun place!! Many famous people have been here. Beware of the bathrooms!! (they are clean and nice- but tricky!)

Favorite Dish: Nothing special- I have a limited diet, and I am allergic to fish. I just eat burgers, salads, margaritas, and whatever.
    I have heard the Gumbo and Shrimp are great wherever you go.

Bahama Bob's Beachside Cafe: Lower the Latitude - Better the Attitude

by grandmaR Updated Aug 10, 2006

Bob's BiminiStyle Steamed Shrimp appetizer ($8.99)

We were looking for restaurants recommended by other VTers, but the hurricanes of the previous summer had decimated a lot of them. We tried the Original Oyster Bar which was there but was closed, so we went back to a place we had seen along the shore-front - Bahama Bob's Cafe - for
    dinner. This was mostly a hamburger/seafood/cafe/beach bar type of place with a limited menu.

The sign outside advertised Seafood (grilled - fried - steamed), Po Boys, Hamburgers, Chicken, Steaks, Salads, Oysters, Cold Drinks, Frozen Drinks and T-shirts. They have daily lunch specials, early-bird specials and multi-TV sports coverage. One website says they have the Best Cheeseburger and also recommends the Grouper Pecan- a local favorite and adds that they are tied for the Best Margarita. Open 10:30 a.m.-10:00 p.m. Casual dress. No children's menu

Favorite Dish: Prices were $5 - $15. I had Coconut Fried Shrimp ($13.99) which came with a salad (either tossed or cole slaw, and I picked tossed) and fries, and Bob had Bimini Style Steamed Shrimp appetizer ($8.99). The salads were premade in the fridge and the dressing was almost solid blue cheese - could not possibly have been poured. The bill was $26.10 before tip.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Jakes Steakhouse: Tired of Seafood?

by grandmaR Updated Aug 27, 2006

Menu story

On Wednesday, January 4th, we ate at Jake's Steakhouse. We drove out Gulf Shores Parkway in search of something that had lights to show that was open at this time of year and after the hurricanes. There were several restaurants right together in this complex including Doc's Seafood Shack, but at the moment, I didn't want seafood. Although actually Jake's Steakhouse ALSO has seafood. There are two locations of Jake's - one in Gulf Shores and one in Orange.

They had early bird specials (which I don't think we were in time for - they were 3-6 pm) of Seafood Platter or Shrimp Alfredo for $8.95 each and Grilled Chicken with rice for $6.95 They also had All You Can Eat Specials of Popcorn Shrimp ($10.95) or Fried Grouper ($8.95). Take-out is available.

There were a lot of family groups there, and they had TV sets up near the ceilings and were watching one of the bowl games.

Beer, wine and specialty drinks (like Big Jake's Mararita - $6.95) are available.

Favorite Dish: Bob had a half rack of ribs ($13.99), and I had "Jake's Special" 10 oz. sirloin for $14.95 which came with onion rings on it. Jake's Special is a regular menu item, and not an actual special. The steak came with a choice of house or Caesar salad and one side. I picked baked spiced apples, but I could also have had Sweet Pototo, Baked Potato, Steak Fries, Sweet Potato Chips, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Ranch Beans, Corn-on-the-cob, or steamed vegetables. They gave us little cheese biscuit balls to eat before the food came.

The total before tip was $31.54.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Mikee's Seafood: A Place for Seafood (Not Just Another Oyster Bar)

Specials menu board

Our first night in Gulf Shores, we went out to eat dinner, and ended up at Mikee's Seafood. The guides call this a "popular, no-nonsense seafood restaurant in the heart of Gulf Shores" where the food "will be worth the inevitable wait." Some people do complain about the service.

The sign outside says Oyster Bar in big red letters, although it wasn't JUST an Oyster Bar. There was also an advertisement for "The Ultimate Frozen Daquiri" and Wine Coolers.

The menu says "A Place for Seafood". The specials board advertised "All you can eat Mullet - Tuesday through Friday $6.99"

I was (as usual) taking pictures of the food (although it was so dark I had to use a flash which I don't usually do), and I heard the mom at the table behind me saying "Well maybe she has a job where she had to take pictures of food". Bob said the little girl at the table on the other side was completely fascinated too, although she didn't say anything.

Favorite Dish: I had the Mahi special for $13.99 and Bob had scallops. The waitress asked me how I wanted the mahi cooked and I said well done, but she meant fried, broiled, blackened etc. So I had broiled. With it I got a salad with dressing in a sauce boat and a lot of croutons and walnuts on top. Bob got cole slaw. We both got new potatoes and a hush puppy and two corn fritters. Bob ate his all up. I couldn't finish mine so I brought it home.

• am&pm's Profile Photo

Hazel's Nook: A Favorite Since 1957!

by am&pm Updated Mar 18, 2006

.This is a little hidden-away restaurant that Paul's family always ate at on their yearly jaunts to the Alabama Gulf coast. If you're looking for fancy, stay away---this is a Mom and Pop place with red and white checkered plastic tablecloths and good old home cooking. It will fill you up fast and the portions are very generous. You can get soul food here and it's pretty good!

Favorite Dish: .

Lambert's Cafe III: Home of the Throwed Rolls

by cryofthecelt Updated Apr 4, 2011

Lambert's Cafe specializes in down-home cookin'. Employees travel around the restaraunt with buckets of "fixin's" - good ol' southern stuff like macaroni 'n' tomatoes and sorghum 'n' molasses. That sorghum 'n' molasses is good to spread over your hot roll, which will be "throwed" to you from across the restaraunt whenever you raise your hand.
    Setting the mood at the front of the restaraunt is an acoustic guitar autographed by Lynrd Skynrd. It reads, "Alabama, this is for y'all."

Favorite Dish: Lambert's is so fun that everything is good!
    See above for my favorites.

• ABL1958's Profile Photo

The Spot

by ABL1958 Written Oct 4, 2002

The Spot
    I apologize for this picture being so dark. The restaurant is raised like so many of the buildings along the coast because of the likelihood of storm surges, but that fact also gave you a better view of the ocean....and on that night, the full moon!

Favorite Dish: I know what I ate was fish and it was delicious!!! I believe it was catfish...but Paul may need to correct me. I remember that the ambience of the place was wonderful, the company was great, the scenery beautiful! The service here was prompt and courteous in that great southern style. If it was a warmer evening we would have eaten out on the deck overlooking the beach and the ocean, as that was an option. I recommend this place to anyone visiting Gulf Shores!

• ABL1958's Profile Photo

ABL1958's Restaurant Tip

by ABL1958 Written Oct 4, 2002

This restaurant caught our eye simply because of the fun name 'A wok on the beach'. I thought it was funny, anyway. And it's typical of so many of the little eateries around there...unique in one way or the other!

Ribs & Reds: It's Raining Buckets...of Shrimp

by cryofthecelt Written Feb 15, 2004

Ribs & Reds has been a family favorite for many, many years. Every year we go to the beach, and every year we eat at Ribs & Reds at least once. It's located in a pink stilted building across from the beach. Shrimp (reds) comes steamed and seasoned in a big bucket, and the ribs come slathered in barbecue sauce straight from the grill. That's some good southern seafood eatin'!

Favorite Dish: Ribs & Reds. A slab of ribs and a bucket of reds (shrimp), after which the resteraunt is named, makes for the best dish. Very succulent. You can suck the shrimp seasoning right out of the shell after you eat the meat - butter and all. Good stuff. REALLY good stuff.

The Outrigger: Bisque on the Bay

by cryofthecelt Written Feb 15, 2004

The Outrigger is situated right on the bay and offers fine dine-in food. For a fancier dinner, try The Outrigger. You won't regret it.

Favorite Dish: Seafood bisque. The Outrigger offers delicious seafood bisque, straight from the Gulf. This makes for a tastefully creamy and satisfying appetizer or light meal.

Their fried crab claws are also quite tasty. They make for a great appetizer as well.

Instant Answers: Gulf Shores

Comments

Gulf Shores Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gulf Shores restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gulf Shores sightseeing.