Mobile Restaurants

by Hermanater
    by Hermanater
    by msbrandysue

Most Recent Restaurants in Mobile

• Montego's Bar & Grill: SKIP it - Poor any way you slice it!

by DD2014 Written Apr 5, 2014

Montego’s Bar & Grill in Mobile…Worst experience ever! Don't expect customer service, especially from owner Blake. Here it is... There were 3 other tables and one at the bar. After waiting more than a half hour, we asked about our food. They had burned it. That wasn't the problem, I get it happens, it is what happen next which makes this first time customer here, a last time customer. The server brought us a ticket before we even got our food... We were on a lunch 'hour' and had run out of time to enjoy our lunch there. I told the bartender we were frustrated and probably wouldn't be back and he said "OK!" (after my experience with owner Blake, I know where he gets that attitude). I paid $17 for nachos that were put in a box that were INTENDED to be eaten hot. My friend got fish tacos. They had not succeeded in recooking it, it was burnt. I felt I should talk to the owner to let him know of our poor experience. I left my information and tried for 4 days to reach him. When I finally did, he said he was too busy to talk to me, would call me back and hung up. I decided to save him a call, at this point, appalled at his lack of customer service, went to Montegos. I let the bartender know I was waiting for Blake. Aware I was waiting, he walked right past me and out the door. At the back of the store, I relayed our experience to the elusive Blake. He couldn't have cared less. His response was "because you left the store without looking at your food, It's your problem. We don't refund." Ummm, it wasn't intended for take out, Montegos made that decision for me. Poor customer service, burnt food and a complacent owner who turns first time customers to only time customers. Save your money and frustrations, spend your $17 where it is appreciated — at Montego's Cafe & Bar.

Favorite Dish: If you like a "char" on your fish tacos, ie: burnt tortilla, get these.

• Montego's Bar & Grill: Worst Ever Customer Service - Yucky Food too

by DD2014 Written Apr 5, 2014

Favorite Dish: If you like a "char" on your fish tacos, ie: burnt, get them.

• Hermanater's Profile Photo

Felix's: Very nice place

by Hermanater Written Oct 23, 2011

From the outside it doesn't look like it would be an above average type of place. When we got inside we realized that we made the right choice in stopping. We were there at 2:00 in the afternoon and the place was packed.

The staff were amazing.

Definitely check it out....

Favorite Dish: We started with Swamp ritas (their margaritas) and a southern pecan draft. Can't go wrong with those choices.

The soup was a crab bisque. Very well done.
    I had the white fish creole with brown rice. The fish was a tad overcooked but very tasty. Jo had the seafood platter and enjoyed it.

The keylime pie was a great way to top of the meal.

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Hooters: Decent Food, Great Waitresses

by Basaic Updated Apr 19, 2011

Hooters

Hooters is best known for their wings and the cute women running around in bright orange short shorts and Hooters T-Shirts. The food is usually pretty good, the selection of beers fine, and the women quite attractive. Decor tends to center around a bar atmosphere and sports. The women were quite cute and friendly.

Favorite Dish: I had fried butterfly shrimp with Cajun sauce. It was good, I just wish not everything was fried.

• Singles

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

The Brick Pit: BBQ Mecca

by msbrandysue Updated Feb 27, 2011

The Brick Pit has been written about in 1000 Things to See Before You Die in the USA/Canada, many different magazines and I've seen it plenty on the Travel Channel network. So there's no denying this place is a legend.

I lured my dad into taking me here when we were driving to Pensacola, Florida from Houston. We had PLENTY of time, so we decided to stop in after the lunch crowd on a weekday. Not a sole in sight! One other person was eating, I believe.

What was interesting to me was the fact that we almost passed it on the way there. It's truly a small house made into a restaurant on the side of a busy Mobile street. You park on a dirt road. Then walk around to the front of the place, passing the gigantic "pit" that takes up the size of a garage.

When we walked in the first thing that caught my eye was the decor. Hundreds of thousands, millions, billions! of writings/signatures on the wall. And local heroism with the love of Alabama football memorabilia everywhere. Being a Longhorn fan I shuttered a bit but inevitably caught the fever and adapted. :)

When walking up to the kitchen to order our decisions were beef ribs or pulled pork. Since the time I've come here I've figured out that I do NOT like beef ribs and LOVE pulled pork. So I'm going to have to put the Brick Pit on my list of returns. I ordered the beef ribs and my father, nor I, really got into them. But that is mostly because it's just not our cut. But with only two choices it made it kind of difficult. Nowhere on the site have I found that they make/sell sausage (my dad's favorite) or brisket (my favorite).

But journeying on food voyages sometimes have their drawbacks. Not everyone finds their BBQ mecca here. But, hello, I'm from Texas.....We know BBQ so I'm a bit biased.

Nonetheless, the friendly staff, and welcoming environment on a slow afternoon was just what we needed on our stop in Mobile. Everyone has to see this legend sometime...

Favorite Dish: The beef ribs had some good char and taste to them but the cut of meat is just not for me. I prefer smaller, more tender pork ribs. The ranch dressing potato salad was definitely different and the beans were great. Next time I really, really, really want to try the pulled pork!

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Wintzell's Oyster House: Great local seafood

by dustmon Written May 21, 2010

Me and the folks at Wintzells

We had a blast at Wintzell's---fresh raw oysters, all kinds of fried stuff, hushpuppies, and lots of great local color on the walls and in the servers. There were about 20 of us, and they had no problems with serving that big of a table....Kudos to the staff!

Favorite Dish: Raw Oysters and fried shrimps!

• Seniors

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Marys Place: Definition of "Dive"

by msbrandysue Written Jan 16, 2010

Mary's Place is recommended by 1000 Things to Do Before You Die: USA Edition. I went later in the afternoon and it was kind of looked spooky. I couldn't tell if no one was there or if parking was behind a fence. I was extremely tired from being at Bellingrath Gardens so I didn't explore.

There is tons of history here, though. All the information is on the website. I can tell they must have been popular because there's not another restaurant around for miles!!

However, I wanted to post pictures for you if you were looking into the area.

Favorite Dish: The seafood is the most popular. The menu on the website looks good. I believe the buffet is the most ordered.

• doug48's Profile Photo

the trellis room: italian

by doug48 Written May 7, 2009

trellis room at the battle house hotel

the trellis room is located in the historic battle house hotel on north royal street in downtown mobile. the trellis room specializes in northern italian cuisine. the trellis room has a contemporary decor and the dress code is business casual. the trellis room is one of the better restaurants in mobile.

• Architecture

• doug48's Profile Photo

felix's fish camp grill: steak & local seafood

by doug48 Written May 7, 2009

felix's fish camp grill

felix's fish camp has been on mobile bay for decades. do not be fooled by the rustic exterior in that felix's is one of the best restaurants on the gulf coast. they serve fresh local seafood and prime steaks. try to book a window seat for a great view of mobile bay at sunset. felix's also has the boat house bar which is another great spot to watch the sunset. felix's is a very worth while stop in the spanish fort/mobile area.

• Architecture

• Southern Heritage Restaurant: Down home buffet

by Hoosierustraveler Written Nov 5, 2008

Mon thru Friday they have a buffet lunch. Only open in the evenings Friday & Sat . Lunch buffet was 'down home' cookin' & very good. Great gumbo & fried whitefish. Fried pork shops, & all the trimmin's. Home made veggie soup I didn't try cause couldn't get away from the gumbo!! It was worth the price of the entire buffet. If you like to eat "off the beaten path" & stay away from chain restaurants that you can visit anywhere, this is one to try.

Favorite Dish: Gumbo!

• Seniors

• Wintzell's Oyster House: Known for oysters

by Hoosierustraveler Written Nov 5, 2008

Known for oysters. The food was very good, but the service was lousy. Hubby ordered doz oysters & I got a salad & our entrees came within 3 minutes of being served those!!!!! Waitress didn't even understand why we were upset! This is not a Cheap/fast food place, so there is absolutely no excuse for not following proper protocol. Waitress didn't even understand the meaning of the word 'entree'! In Manager's defense, he did offer a free dessert (bread pudding! yuk) as an apology. Would never return to this location. It was also dirty...tables & seats & floor had not been cleaned recently. 2 customers behind us sent their food back..not sure why.

Favorite Dish: Fried oysters, raw oysters & gumbo! They have a 1/2 $ happy hour & that drew in a bunch of singles.

• Singles

• DG4ever's Profile Photo

Ruth's Chris Steak House: Where to Take Your Mobile Client? Power Dinner

by DG4ever Written Jul 10, 2008

This place is not your typical Ruth's Chris; it was bought by a local family who didn't want to see it close, then they took it up a notch. They also own Felix's Fish Camp, an upscale seafood place on the Causeway.

Ruth's Chris has the best service in town. It's very expensive; for instance, me and my husband spend about $150-$200 a night. This is the place to bring your local client. They'll be impressed you knew where to go. Local who's who. Reservations recommended.

Tip: Ask for a private booth. They are cool; fits up to 6 people. TV and private phone in this tiny, closed off booth.

Bar has tables and when restaurant is full, you can eat here. Kinda loud piano playing though, but nice if you like that.

Favorite Dish: My husband gets the filet mignon. A favorite after dinner drink is the Chrissy. The stuffed chicken is very good and all their potato dishes are yummy. I love the chopped salad. Crabtini is good, hubby says.

• DG4ever's Profile Photo

Callaghan's Irish Pub: A Good Place for a Beer & Hamburger

by DG4ever Written Sep 24, 2006

This restaurant is an old bar that has reopened and is popular with many locals. I believe it once was a private club type of bar. Politicians sometimes stop by to shake hands and smooze the vote. Many movers & shakers of Mobile come here. It has won the Lagniappe's best hamburger award for 2004 & 2005. It is also known for a brunch of sorts on Sundays. Also has a HUGE St. Patrick's day celebration.
    It has a New Orleans corner pub kind of atmosphere. Beaded board interior with paint peeling. Looks like a hole in the wall but that's the charm of it all. Sit in the old stalls. Technically a bar, but many bring their children for the great grilled cheese sandwiches. Outside seating to get away from the cigarette smoke. A favorite during Mardi Gras for Oakleigh Garden District residents as you can walk a mere two blocks to the parade route.
    At night, periodic bands from many different music styles, including celtic. Decent juke box. What I like about it is that it's a neighborhood bar. Be aware that in Mobile, there is a labor shortage and service isn't the greatest. That's a problem everywhere.

Favorite Dish: The hamburger is supposedly great, according to my husband; however, I enjoy the grilled cheese made with 4 different cheeses. I 'll also get a side of pasta salad. After you eat, walk one block WEST on Charleston and take a turn around the lovely Washington Square admiring Oakleigh Garden District homes dating to late 1860's-1870's.

• cfwestbe's Profile Photo

Ed's Seafood Shed: Fresh Seafood overlooking the Bay

by cfwestbe Written Feb 20, 2005

A fantastic seafood restaurant with local flavor. Ed's Seafood Shed sits on stilts and has indoor and outdoor seating. Ask for seating outdoors on the deck. If you sit next to the rail, you can see a lot of local wildlife along the edge of the bay below you. Seagulls, cranes, and aligators are abundant. The food is outstanding. Ask for their specialty, the "Yo Mamma's Platter". You will not regret it.

Favorite Dish: I have never had a dish I did not enjoy.

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

Cock of the Walk and Gone Fishin: For local catfish...

by PA2AKgirl Written Dec 20, 2004

These 2 places are completely different only in that they cater to 2 completely different neighborhoods. I've been to Cock of the Walk a few times and only eaten what other people have picked up from Gone Fishin. Both have good Catfish--the Gone Fishin restaurant is more of a fast food kind of thing and Cock of the Walk is a sit down, get served place--a little more upscale and family oriented. In Mobile, you should get the catfish, though--it's another very local dish:))

Favorite Dish: At Cock of the Walk they also have fried dill pickles--again, something I NEVER had until moving to Mobile, but they are really good. Of course, there's friend okra and greens there as well. At both places and throughout Mobile, you'll find foods that you never thought about frying are offered on menus. I also really like the mexican cornbread at Cock of the Walk--after living in Mobile, I definitely prefer jalapeno cornbread (but if you ask anyone who knows me, I seize all opportunities to add jalepenos to anything). Gone Fishin, like I said is more of a fast food place, but you can get hush puppies and greens--things are in baskets, I believe. Again, I only ate what someone brought me from there, so don't quote me on that.

The directions and prices below apply for Cock of the Walk...here's the information for Gone Fishin

Spinghill Avenue. Take I-65 to exit 5A heading east toward downtown. It will be on the left hand side. Prices are less than $10 per person.

Instant Answers: Mobile

Comments

Mobile Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mobile restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mobile sightseeing.