Montgomery Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Montgomery

• Don't be afraid to say hi.

by rianp Updated Aug 13, 2007

Montgomery has went through many trials and tribulations in it's past. From being the First Capital of the Confederacy during The War Between the States to being at the very front of the Civil Rights movement. This has made the people a very special group. Tied heavily to their traditions, and never afaid to give a wave and ask how things are.

I honestly see more outright racism in my home state of Indiana than you will ever experience in Montgomery. Now this isn't including the feelings people hide beneath their outward emotions, but that happens all over our country.

It wasn't anything while walking down Dexter Ave taking pictures that you are approached by people just wishing you a good day.

I've been harrased by Scientologists in Clearwater Florida, haggled with bums in Atlanta, fought rush hour road rage traffic in Orlando, and been invited to someones house for ribs in Montgomery. It was definitely a welcomed experience.

It's a different town with old southern values and great people, no matter their color.

• Say it with me "Excuse Me"

by rianp Written Aug 13, 2007

It's hard for a person from the rude north to comprehend, and even harder to get into the habit. When in the south it seems as though you are meant to say excuse me if you come within 5 feet of someone's path.

At first I was startled, then I got used to it and now I yern for it.

People who believe hospitality is dead do not live in Montgomery, Alabama.

Instant Answers: Montgomery

Comments

Montgomery Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Montgomery local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montgomery sightseeing.