Montgomery Restaurants

dreamland barbecue
    by doug48
    by Basaic
    Loaded baked potato heaven!
    by TheTravelSlut

Most Recent Restaurants in Montgomery

Dreamland BBQ: Dreamland BBQ

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 5, 2014

All the restaurants have their "sauce" instead of chili on hot dogs!!!
    Tony and I stopped in here to rest from walking around. It was 76 degrees on January 12th, 2013 and we walked around about 3-4 miles, so we worked up a sweat..so we stopped to get a Coca Cola and him a cold beer..

The restaurant was crowded. It was lunch time. We did glance over the menu. Next time in the Montgomery area we will definitely eat here. The food smelled and looked awesome!!! and we noticed the service was extremely fast out of the kitchen,

They have outside seating in the ALLEY, a very nice area with other restaurants. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are in the Montgomery area!

• Beer Tasting

Chris' Hot Dogs: Chris' Hot Dogs

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 5, 2014

Not sure what all the hype was about ...sauce is just ketchup and hot sauce

Okay! I was TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED....what is all the HYPE about.
    It is located on Dexter Avenue near Dr. Martin Luther King's church..so I am sure he stopped in here to eat as well as Hank Williams Sr. ..it is reported it was his favorite restaurant.
    It has been opened since 1917.

It is a very narrow building with counter space to sit and eat. They bought the next building to expand for seating areas and older booths. I loved the atmosphere and the look of the place..and that was IT!!!!

We ordered hot dogs with everything but kraut..which comes with onions, mustard and special Chris Chili Sauce ...( ketchup and Hot sauce...no meat..no beans...just ketchup and hot sauce)...we also ordered onion rings to share that was burnt..not black but deep hard dark brown..,nothing golden about them...and the grease tasted old..I had a soda (coca colas in a bottle) and Tony ordered a Budweiser...

total cost $15 with taxes and tip....I would and will not eat here again!!! They sell that sauce by the gallon for $35..much cheaper to make yourself...don't take my word for it though, go yourself...but you won't find me there!!! Next time in Montgomery, I will try another location!!!

Let me know what you think?

Hungry Howie's: Hungry Howie's Pizza

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

This is our Second "Hungry Howie" experience...and we love it. While in Augusta Georgia we tried it and this is the first time in Montgomery...we have a tradition when we stay in a hotel we always order PIZZA in...it is a habit we started when the kids were younger and now its just something we do....good habits are hard to break...

I checked on the internet and saw that there were the usual chains in the area that delivered and few that had great YELP reviews that didn't deliver and I don't like going back out after I have dried from the pool and shower and stretched out in the bed...so when I saw HUNGRY HOWIES...I said YES YES YES...we liked them in Georgia so we were all excited.

Went online to their website and ordered ....very easy process and they also tell you which location is closest to your hotel and they also have some online deals that are awesome...we were able to get two large pizzas..one Supreme with added Jalapeno peppers and One with Pepperoni and extra sauce and cheese with the added touch of picking your own crust flavoring..we chose buttery garlic and OMG...awesome!!!!!

The pizza was delivered quickly within 30 minutes and so hot and cheese was so gooey!!! It was delicious...We loved every slice of it..every bit was enjoyed and eaten. I highly recommend this Pizza to everyone!!!
    Can't wait to travel again and grab a great deal and a great pizza for dinner..
    Oh I forgot to tell you...the food with taxes and tip was less than $30...can't beat that!!!
    Great for traveling on a budget

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Chris' Hot Dogs: Hot Dogs and History

by Basaic Written Jun 1, 2013

Chris' Hot Dogs

Chris' Hot Dogs is a tiny hole in the wall place that doesn't look like much from the outside. However, it has been around since 1917 and the crowds of people getting hot dogs here may hint as to the quality of the food. They have some special sauce that has a slight kick to it, and I kinda liked it. But you mostly come here for the history and the nostalgia. Worth a stop!

Favorite Dish: Try the hot dog or the chili.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Smokehouse BBQ: Great Bubba-Q (Bubba Who?)

by travelfrosch Updated Apr 29, 2013

From the restaurant's (former) website

UPDATE: It appears Smokehouse BBQ finally re-opened in 2012 after its devestating fire.

If you come down South, you must try the BBQ. BBQ (barbecue, or "Bubba-Q" in Southern dialect) is slow-cooked meat (usually pork, though sometimes beef brisket, chicken, or even mutton) slathered in a delectable barbecue sauce. Probably the best example of BBQ I've tried is the Smokehouse BBQ, a modest-looking place in the town of Millbrook, a few miles north of Montgomery. Come for lunch, and come hungry. You won't regret it.

Open Tuesday - Saturday 10AM-9PM. Closed Sundays and Mondays (but will be open for take-out on Labor Day).

Favorite Dish: I had the plain old BBQ pulled pork Sandwich. But just about everything on the menu came very highly recommended.

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

Jim " N Nick's southern kitchen Barbeque: Southern Kitchen & BBQ food

by TheTravelSlut Written Feb 22, 2013

Loaded baked potato heaven!

Jim 'N Nicks BBQ in Riverchase (Hoover) has grown to eight states in the southeast and dozens of locations based on continued success of providing some of the best BBQ, special dishes and plenty of food to both old and new patrons.

The aroma of BBQ will envelop you before you even step inside and once you are seated you will have the tough choice of picking out your choice of food and drink.

Favorite Dish: The 'loaded" baked potato is more than a meal and incredibly delicious . Check out my photo for proof.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Chris' Hot Dogs: Chris' Hot Dogs - 95 Years & Going!

by TravellerMel Written Jul 10, 2012

Chris' Hot Dogs

A Montgomery tradition! Chris' Hot Dogs has been open since 1917, and as the grandson of the owner will tell you, the restaurant is steeped in history. He says Franklin Roosevelt had a Chris' dog, and had them delivered to the train station whenever his train stopped in Montgomery. Hank Williams, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr., and many other luminaries at at Chris'. The interior doesn't look like it has ever been renovated - the long bar with much-used barstools is still there, and the covered booths are the old fashioned (and small to modern sensibilities and girths) type. Still, I loved this place. Simple menu - hot dogs, hamburgers, and chicken. But cheap! I had the hot dog/hamburger/fries/cola combo for $7.25 and my companion had the 2 hot dogs/fries/cola combo for the same price. "All the way" is with Chris' special sauce (kinda like a beanless chili) and finely chopped onion. So yummy!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

The Montgomery Brewing Company: Microbrews in Montgomery

by travelfrosch Updated Jun 26, 2011

Montgomery Brewing Company

UPDATE: Montgomery Brewpub closed unexpectedly in October 2010, and remains closed as of June 2011. There is no definitive information on when or if the restaurant will re-open.

This is about as good as it gets in Montgomery. High quality, well-prepared food and a decent variety of good microbrews. "The Brew Pub," as it is known locally, is one of the most popular restaurants in Montgomery. Reservations are recommended on Friday and Saturday nights. One caution: check your bill carefully and count your change. Our server "accidentally" charged me for an extra beer and shortchanged my colleague by $10 the previous time I visited. Our group had no such problems this time (Note: an 18% service charge/gratuity is automatically included in the bill for groups of 6 or more).

Favorite Dish: I had a very nice trout lightly breaded with grated Parmesan cheese and a lemon-caper sauce.

There are typically four beers on tap, but expect at least one of the varieties to be unavailable when you visit. My favorite is the Goat Hill Pale Ale (naturally, the one most commonly unavailable). The Montgomery Blonde Lager is OK, as is the Riverboat Red Ale. They also serve a stout, which I didn't try, but my colleague described as a good dessert beer -- very sweet with chocolate and coffee flavors.

• Beer Tasting

• doug48's Profile Photo

sinclair's: cafe style

by doug48 Updated Aug 30, 2009

sinclair's

sinclair's is a very good cafe style restaurant located in the old cloverdale historic district. sinclair's offers ameican fare such as steaks, seafood, and pasta. good american food moderately priced. sinclair's is located in the old cloverdale historic district which is a safe place to eat and drink at night.

• Architecture

• doug48's Profile Photo

dreamland: barbecue

by doug48 Written Aug 29, 2009

dreamland barbecue

the montgomery dreamland is one of eight dreamland locations in alabama. the original dreamland was founded in 1958 by john "big daddy" bishop in tuscaloosa. dreamland is nationally famous for it's barbecue ribs. dreamland also serves alabama style pork, beef, and chicken barbecue. dreamland is one of the best barbecue restaurants in the southeast.

Favorite Dish: ribs !

• Architecture

• chancre's Profile Photo

Capital Grill: Inexpensive, and good food!

by chancre Written Sep 20, 2007

This is definatley a hold-in-the-wall locals place. The Capital Grill put a good sized meal of Southern home cooking in front of me for under $10. The afternoon/evening special included at least a half dozen meats, over a dozen sides, bread, and drink. I chose the hamburger steak with onions and gravy for the meat. For the sides I had turnip greens, fresh snap beans, fried okra and corn bread. A sweet tea washed the whole thing down. Everything appeared to be fresh, and homemade. The atmosphere was of a place that had been open for decades without any unnecessary changes. It was, however, a very clean place. After the meal I was too full to try the desert.

Favorite Dish: While I enjoyed everything the potato salad my friend ordered was the best I've ever had.

• Business Travel

• Flips Uptown Grill: Biscuits the way God intended.

by rianp Written Aug 13, 2007

Everything is special about Flips. The food, the people and the prices are all a great treat.

Don't make the mistake I did as a yankee and order a bagel and a coke for my morning breakfast. You will go home very dissapointed after you see what the fellow patrons are having.

Any place where you can have a conversation with the kitchen staff you've never met while they cook your food is ok in my book.

Favorite Dish: Bacon, Egg and Cheese Biscuit. You will never again think of Fast Food Breakfast as "biscuits".

• Chris's Hot Dogs: It's all about tradition and taste.

by rianp Written Aug 13, 2007

Once you walk into Chris's during lunchtime you will know how well known this hole in a wall place is.

The signature dish is a hot dog covered in a yellow mustard, saurkraut and a thin chili sauce.

The place looks old and worn, as do the employees, but it's a rarity to even find an open table or a line that doesn't reach out onto Dexter. But have no fear, the friendly people, cheap prices and great food will keep you and everyone else in town coming back.

Favorite Dish: 2 Chris's Dogs, Fries and a Sweet Tea.

• The Pub: Crab Claws. Nothing else needs to be spoken.

by rianp Written Aug 13, 2007

We try to make a point to stop by everytime we are in the city. It might take a while to get a seat but it's always worth it. The prices are normal for a sit down restaurant, with none of the bland, tasteless, culturelessness that comes with the national chains.

Favorite Dish: 1lb of Crab Claws to start it off. Enough to feed the whole family. Crab claws are the claws of Farmed Blue Crab. The meat along the claw is deep fried.

For the entree I usually go for the Gulf Shrimp and Cheese Grits. It's a southern classic that they do right!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

TA Country Pride: Truck Stop Chain in the South

by grandmaR Updated Feb 13, 2006
    Bob's hamburger

TA started out as a small six unit truck stop business and now has many centers all throughout the country. In addition to fuel and places for truckers to shower or get their trucks repaired, they also have restaurants.

Their website says: Start out in the Northeast with Maine Blueberry Pancakes or Yankee Pot Roast, then travel down South for Country Ham n' Grits or Fried Catfish Fillet and Hushpuppies. Later in the week you may find yourself in the Midwest where you can select Loaded Baked Potato Soup or Charbroiled Ham Steak. Over to the Southwest you have the option of Huevos Rancheros, Tortilla Soup or Chicken and Cheese Enchilladas. Finishing up in the Northwest, enjoy Grilled Chipotle Salmon with a side of Wild Mushrooms and Rice

Favorite Dish: I had a skillet breakfast and Bob had a hamburger.

TravelCenters of America has more than 150 locations nationwide plus at least one in Canada. (no centers in Maine, Vermont, Montana or North and South Dakota). They not only have regular "American" food at a good price, but they also have regional and seasonal specialties. Some places also have carving stations called "A Fork in the Road"

Instant Answers: Montgomery

Comments

Montgomery Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Montgomery restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montgomery sightseeing.