Watch for Poison Ivy
We noticed an abundance of poison ivy along the trails at Russell Cave National Monument. This beautiful green plant can cause a nasty rash or even more severe allergic reactions. The danger is from the oils or resins in the plant. Don't touch it and you will be OK. If you do touch the plant accidently, immediately rinse the affected area with water. Clothing which has contacted poison ivy should be washed in warm soapy water. Poison ivy can take the shape of a trailing vine, or it can grow into a shrub or small tree. Look for the distinctive three leaves to identify it.
There is also a slight chance of encountering a poisonous snake along the trails. Two types of pit vipers, rattlesnakes and copperheads, both live in this area. Just stay on the trails and watch where you step and you should have no problems. Snakes generally prefer to avoid people and will escape unless threatened.
- Adventure Travel
- Hiking and Walking
Take only pictures; Leave only footprints!
Do not remove or disturb any item in this National Monument. The Archeological Resources Protection Act specifies serious felony and misdomeanor charges for the removal or disturbance of archeological or historical artifacts on federal lands.
- Historical Travel
- National/State Park