Theodore Travel Guide

Restaurant
    by grandmaR

Theodore Things to Do

• Water Features

We walked down to the docks, but the boat tours were not running. I sat at the top and Bob went down to take photos of the water features - they had water running down the hill there were many fountains, and some little canals which I guess are from irrigation.

• Japanese Garden

Apparently they now call this the Asian American Garden. This garden is the only garden that was not present during the Bellingrath’s time. The addition of this garden began as as a suggestion from Edward Marshall Boehm. This section is full of islands and little arched bridges that are reflected in the water. I short-cutted that part and just...

• Greenhouse

There is a little greenhouse on the property where they have the orchids, It is behind the rose garden but because it was January the rose garden had scarcely any blooms

• bellingrath gardens

pictured is one of several small lakes and ponds in the 65 acre garden. these ponds are used to inhance the flower displays.

• bellingrath gardens

bellingrath gardens are set on 65 acres of small hills, ponds, and marsh land. bellingrath gardens are planned to have flowers blooming year round. since bellingrath is one of the finest azalea gardens in america i would suggest visiting in late march or early april. call their toll free number to find out when the azalea's will be in full bloom.

• bellingrath home

the bellingrath home located in the middle of bellingrath gardens is open to the public for a fee. this 1935 home is on the national list of historic places. you have several options when visiting bellingrath. you can buy a ticket to tour the gardens, the home, and a river cruise on the fowl river together or just buy a ticket for one of the...

Theodore Restaurants

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Front of the building with Cafeteria sign 1 more image

by grandmaR Updated Mar 11, 2007

We ate before we left Dauphin Island because I wasn't sure if we would get to Bellingrath Gardens in time to eat at the cafe. And sure enough, it was closed when we got there at 10 of three.

If it had been earlier, we could have had soup ($2.95), salads $2.95 to $3.95), sandwiches ($4.95), drinks ($1.00) and desserts ($1.50) starting at 11:00 a.m. The Café also offers afternoon refreshments and snacks

• Eco-Tourism

Theodore Shopping

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Night lights and sculptural plaques 4 more images

by grandmaR Updated Sep 3, 2006

Up until April 2006, when I visited a garden I always looked for a gift for my mom with the iris flower on it. When I was at Bellingrath Gardens, I bought her a T-shirt. Unfortunately, she went into the hospital just before I got home, and although I gave her the T-shirt, she died very shortly thereafter. I gave the T-shirt (photo 5) to the American Iris Society for their auction by which they raise money for the society. The AIS was one of my mom's favorite organizations.

What to buy: Their shop website says: "a variety of gift and souvenir merchandise specializing in Coca-Cola, gardening accessories and porcelain treasures. Throughout the year, the Gift Shop features gifts and accessories to compliment what is in bloom throughout the Gardens. From seasonal plants to rose gloves, from Mother's and Father's Day gifts to the perfect holiday gift and everywhere in between, the Bellingrath Gift Shop has a wonderful display of gift merchandise. "

It does not appear to be available on-line.

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Theodore

Comments

Explore Deeper into Theodore
Theodore Travel Guide