Theodore Travel Guide

Restaurant
    by grandmaR

Theodore Things to Do

• Water Features

We walked down to the docks, but the boat tours were not running and they are no longer available at any season. I sat at the top and Bob went down to take photos of the water features - they had water running down the hill there between the stairs. I have a photo I took looking down at him, and he took one looking up at me.There were many...

• Bellingrath House and Garage

When we got to the gardens, we had to decide if we wanted to see just the gardens or the house and gardens. The Value Package no longer includes the 45 Minute River Cruise along Fowl River aboard the Southern Belle River Cruiser so the two prices are nowGardens and Bellingrath Home PackageAdults: $20.50Children: (Ages 5 - 12) $12.50Children Under...

• Greenhouse

There is a little greenhouse on the property where they have the orchids, It is behind the rose garden but because it was January the rose garden had scarcely any blooms. Inside were mostly the tender plants and things like orchids and not an overwhelming number of those. The Elephant Foot tree was a little different and interesting.

• Japanese Garden

Apparently they now call this the Asian American Garden. This garden is the only garden that was not present during the Bellingrath’s time. The addition of this garden began as as a suggestion from Edward Marshall Boehm. This section is full of islands and little arched bridges that are reflected in the water. I short-cutted that part and just...

• bellingrath gardens

pictured is one of several small lakes and ponds in the 65 acre garden. these ponds are used to inhance the flower displays.

• bellingrath gardens

bellingrath gardens are set on 65 acres of small hills, ponds, and marsh land. bellingrath gardens are planned to have flowers blooming year round. since bellingrath is one of the finest azalea gardens in america i would suggest visiting in late march or early april. call their toll free number to find out when the azalea's will be in full bloom.

Theodore Restaurants

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Updated Mar 11, 2007

We ate before we left Dauphin Island because I wasn't sure if we would get to Bellingrath Gardens in time to eat at the cafe. And sure enough, it was closed when we got there at 10 of three.

If it had been earlier, we could have had soup ($2.95), salads $2.95 to $3.95), sandwiches ($4.95), drinks ($1.00) and desserts ($1.50) starting at 11:00 a.m. The Café also offers afternoon refreshments and snacks

Front of the building with Cafeteria sign Buffet line and sign
    • Eco-Tourism

Theodore Shopping

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Updated Sep 3, 2006

Up until April 2006, when I visited a garden I always looked for a gift for my mom with the iris flower on it. When I was at Bellingrath Gardens, I bought her a T-shirt. Unfortunately, she went into the hospital just before I got home, and although I gave her the T-shirt, she died very shortly thereafter. I gave the T-shirt (photo 5) to the American Iris Society for their auction by which they raise money for the society. The AIS was one of my mom's favorite organizations.

What to buy: Their shop website says: "a variety of gift and souvenir merchandise specializing in Coca-Cola, gardening accessories and porcelain treasures. Throughout the year, the Gift Shop features gifts and accessories to compliment what is in bloom throughout the Gardens. From seasonal plants to rose gloves, from Mother's and Father's Day gifts to the perfect holiday gift and everywhere in between, the Bellingrath Gift Shop has a wonderful display of gift merchandise. "

It does not appear to be available on-line.

Night lights and sculptural plaques View of the gift shop Night lights and Iris artifacts Display in the patio area T-shirt with iris from gift shop
    • Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Theodore

Comments

Explore Deeper into Theodore
Theodore Travel Guide