Akutan Warnings and Dangers

• I was here off and on for 3 days... not fun
    I was here off and on for 3 days... not...
    by HasTowelWillTravel
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by LizSitka

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Akutan

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Beware the Weather

by HasTowelWillTravel Written Sep 9, 2008

I was here off and on for 3 days... not fun

To get to Akutan, you must take the seaplane. It is a low-flying affair, and thus is very susceptible to weather conditions. Any low clouds or fog and the flight will be cancelled or pushed back. In July I spent 3 days trying to get from Dutch Harbor to Akutan, eventually I had to give up and move on with my work. Even in September, this last trip, I spent a day in Dutch because of cloud cover.

So, make sure you budget for this in your travel. Be flexible with plane schedules, for you might be in Dutch a while, or stuck in Akutan trying to get back. Both places are nice places to be stuck, much better than other areas I can think of, but still, be warned, so you don't lose your head.

• LizSitka's Profile Photo

This place is straigtforward....

by LizSitka Updated Oct 4, 2002

This place is straigtforward. It's expensive and sometimes the rooms at the Bayview are full. The weather is awesome, so be prepared. This is a picture of seismic monitoring equipment being installed near the volcano.

Instant Answers: Akutan

Comments

Akutan Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Akutan warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Akutan sightseeing.