Wildlife, Anchorage

Know about this? Rate It!

do you see what I see?
    by raevnzno
    They think the street is theirs
    by raevnzno
    and they weren't afraid of us, either
  • PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

Many Moose Milling About

by PA2AKgirl Updated Sep 23, 2006

Favorite thing: If you talk to people from here, they seem so blasé about moose. Not me. I haven’t lived here a long time, but there’s no way I’ll ever get tired of them. They are so large and fun to watch that spotting one (which is not really spotting since they walk through parking lots and your yard or stand in intersections) it always exciting for me. I can watch most animals for hours but who knows when we’ll get to opportunity to watch moose after we leave here. They do cause accidents of course (just as deer do but with greater damage) but if you’re aware that they are going to be around and are constantly looking for them, you should be okay. Strangely enough, we see many more moose in the city than we do in parks.

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo

Learn about Wolves around the...

by EdinburghRoc Written Feb 25, 2003

Mayors House 1917

Favorite thing: Learn about Wolves around the corner from the State Trooper Museum which is on 6 ave.
    Go to the Saturday Market which you will find near the State Mon ,Anchorage hotel.

Fondest memory: Learning about the Brown Bears on 4th Ave in Public Lands Info. It's close to the info centre. Belive me it's a great film.

• Eco-Tourism

• zrim's Profile Photo

Belugas

by zrim Written Mar 9, 2003

whale habitat

Favorite thing: One of the more exciting aspects of the drive along Turnagain Arm of the Cook Inlet was our viewing of a pod of Beluga whales. Sadly no photo opportunity was available. They swam by much to quickly and were arching above and below the surface of the water. So it was not feasible for an amatuer like myself to get a shot. Yet the thrill was there all the same. Belugas are the cutest of the whale species.

• Whale Watching
    • Hiking and Walking

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

The Alaska Zoo

by mcpangie Written Jan 20, 2004

Trumpeter Swans

Favorite thing: A lady I know came to Alaska one summer to attend a wedding. She went camping for a few days up at Denali, came back and went to the Alaska Zoo and was a little disappoint that she'd seen more wildlife there. But, that makes sense. The animals at Denali National Park aren't in pens waiting for visitors. So, if you are coming to Alaska to see some wildlife like these beautiful trumpeteer swans in their natural habitat, stop by the Alaska Zoo just to make sure you get to.

Fondest memory: Incidentally, these trumpeter swans are wild, they live at the Alaska Zoo however.

• Birdwatching
    • Eco-Tourism

• raevnzno's Profile Photo

M R Dux

by raevnzno Written May 7, 2006

do you see what I see?

Favorite thing: M R NOT, M R Geese!!!

While exploring the city on Saturday afternoon, we spotted these geese wandering down the street. It was about 1 in the afternoon, and there obviously was very little traffic around. We felt almost like we were the only visitors that day, until we spotted these guys.

• zrim's Profile Photo

Spying Wildlife

by zrim Written Mar 9, 2003

Becky spying Belugas in the distance

Favorite thing: We encountered so much wildlife on a daily basis in Alaska. Bears, whales, eagles, marine mammals, caribou. Keep your eyes open and the binoculars handy. In this photo Becky was watching the pod of Belugas head up channel towards Anchorage.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Whale Watching

• Wildlife is everywhere!

by AlaskaGirl03 Updated Sep 7, 2003

Favorite thing: Moose, bear, fox! All have been seen in my back yard! It's incredible! (I need to find my pictures!)!

Fondest memory: The first night in my new house, I was closing window blinds and thought to myself "I don't remember seeing a tree outside this window......" and looked closer and there was a HUGE bull moose with a huge antler rack! I could've reached out and touched him! Amazing!

Instant Answers: Anchorage