Gwennies, Anchorage

Huge Pancakes
    Reindeer Sausage and Eggs
    Reindeer Sausage Omelette
    by AlbuqRay
  • Gwennies: Food Poisoning more then once!

by dashjohnson907 Written Mar 6, 2011

I had food poisoning there and when I called and complained they were beyond rude. My boyfriend talked me into going again and then got terrible food poisening and they denied it and refused to do anything about it, even with the doctor's note.

• phil5897's Profile Photo

gwennies: Big portions, OK food

by phil5897 Written Sep 13, 2009

Just went there for the first time today. I've read the reviews and have had locals recommend this place. It's Sunday eveneing so not crowded, ordered the chicken fried steak. It was a huge portion but nothing to rave about. Nothing significant about the flavor. I'm pretty sure the mashed patatoes were instant. My buddy had the reindeer sausage and eggs and he loved them. During our meal we were greeted by a few mice upstairs in the corner. Waitress asked us what we were looking at then in so many words said thats "normal". It is after all Alaska right! Besides the mice, overall the meal was another meal, not bad. Decorations were cool and the staff were nice.

Favorite Dish: I cant say I've tried anything else but the huge chicken fried steak. It was tender and tasted as expected.

• sdpryde's Profile Photo

Gwennies: ...old & tired...

by sdpryde Written Jan 9, 2009

Gwennies is somewhat of a local Anchorage landmark. I've had breakfast there. As one (or two) other reviewers have offered, it's old & tired.

The portions are huge; but the quality is no better then your typical greasy-spoon diner.

The atmosphere is interesting. It's very Alaskan in it's decor and atmosphere. It can also be very busy (especially in tourist season).

Favorite Dish: none

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Gwennies: Famous for Breakfast But Overrated

by AlbuqRay Updated Oct 14, 2007

Because Gwennies is famous for their breakfasts and it was only a couple of miles away from the Elderberry B&B, we decided to have a breakfast VT meet there on my first morning in Alaska. You can tell it used to be a Chinese restaurant by the eaves over the windows. The inside is decorated with Alaskan artifacts and knickknacks, including a stuffed brown bear to greet you at the entrance. I classify myself as omniverous but as far as Gwennies' food is concerned, I think it is highly overrated. I must say that the servings were as huge as advertised; SpringPrincess almost had to sit at another table because her pancakes were so big. The reindeer sausage was good but the potatoes were a little soggy in spite of being overcooked. My omelette with reindeer sausage ($11.25) had Velveeta or some other kind of "cheese" sauce that had kind of an artificial taste. However, the company was good and we had fun getting to know each other. That is really what counted.

BTW, we have a similar place in Albuquerque in the South Valley near the airport. It is called the K&I Diner. If you would like to know how good Gwennies could be, try the K&I. Believe it or not, the servings at the K&I are bigger than Gwennies' and the prices much cheaper.

Favorite Dish: Extremist made the best choice. She had the reindeer sausage and eggs with potatoes and toast. There was enough leftover for a whole other meal.

Outside Entry Reindeer Sausage and Eggs Reindeer Sausage Omelette Huge Pancakes

• uaamom's Profile Photo

Gwennies: Overrated and Tired

by uaamom Updated Oct 12, 2007

Funky, native stone interior and yes, a bear.
    The service and presentation seemed tired. We had an early evening supper. The salmon tasted fishy and was served with plain boiled carrots, which while good for you, had no charm. Sort of flopped onto the table by our seemingly bored or annoyed waitress who was not busy. I'd like to suggest a crispy, tart cabbage slaw, or at least some dill on the carrots. My companions (locals) both had the substantial biscuits with reindeer sausage gravy, which again was no presentation piece, but was by far the better choice. They both had leftovers and I am talking about large hungry college students here.

Favorite Dish: Stick with the biscuits and gravy. One serving was so huge, we took part back to my son's apt and split it as a side dish to our lunch the next day. It warmed up fine in a microwave.

• masonbryant's Profile Photo

Gwennies: Alaska sized portions

by masonbryant Written Jan 13, 2006

The atmosphere at Gwennies is far from impressive, but the diner style food is hard to beat. You can get all of the fuel you'll need for the day of hiking from this dusty old diner. Be sure to take a picture with the stuffed bear that is sitting in the middle of a cesspool of stagnant water and looks like it hasn't been dusted since it was originally placed there. Atmoshpere aside, the raindeer sausage was quite nice. Notice the huge boat of it in the picture.... that was a side order!

• platypusak's Profile Photo

Gwennies: A Really BIG Breakfast

by platypusak Written May 9, 2005

People may go here for other things, but we go to Gwennies for breakfast. It's one of those places where you would be happy to eat breakfast for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you decide to go on a weekend or during the summer tourist season, be prepared for a wait...Gwennies is always busy. The place used to be a chinese restauruant...the walrus out front are chipped away, repainted dragons. Local legend has it that the upstair which is now part of the restaurant, used to be a brothel. Gwennies is chock full of Alaskan stuff....some actually authentic. But you don't come here for the ambience...you come here for BREAKFAST!

Favorite Dish: Absolutely try the reindeer sausage.

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

Gwennie's Old Alaska Restaurant: Don't Miss The Reindeer Sausage!

by mcpangie Updated Nov 29, 2003

You can sit and read about old-time Alaska, looking at historic Alaskan photos, and lots of other memorabilia. This is a place the local's in Anchorage love! If you are in Anchorage for just a few hours, it is a few dollars in a cab. Lunch and dinner menu is available, but Gwennie's is famous for breakfast! They make breakfast like it should be made, and give you more than you can eat at one sitting.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the reindeer sausage, eggs, and home fries. But I also love their Monte Cristo. Umm, umm good. For those that enjoy alcohol, they serve some of the best bloody marys I'm told, but I never have tried.

Don't Forget To Take Your Free Bumper Sticker
    • Photography

• kaloz's Profile Photo

Gwennie's Old Alaska Restaurant: Anchorage Tradition

by kaloz Written Oct 31, 2002

If you are hungry, this is the place. Very popular for breakfast, they also have a lunch and dinner menu. Alaskan decor make this a must see.

Favorite Dish: Sourdough pankakes and Reindeer sausage. $6.

Sourdough Pancakes

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Gwennies: gut busting breakfast

by goingsolo Written Sep 24, 2002

this is a local institution. The portions are huge and the service is friendly. And the breakfast is great.

Favorite Dish: try the reindeer sausage omelet.

Instant Answers: Anchorage

Comments

Hotels Near Gwennies
2.5 out of 5 stars