Humpys, Anchorage

by kaloz
  • Alaska-ski's Profile Photo

Humpy's Alehouse: Humpy's: Less crowded in off season

by Alaska-ski Written Nov 14, 2013

Humpy's represents Anchorage well with the quality of it's dishes. The "Specials" are beyond the pale and a very good value. That's why they are called specials.

Humpy's has a downtown location so parking can be an issue of parking on the street or going to a parking garage or private lot.

There is a nice balanced mix of locals and visitors who are staying in nearby posh hotels. There is an advantage to sitting at the bar and making new friends.

Your mileage may vary for the quality of service. The place usually has a good buzz gleaned from a well run operation. The wait people are usually on the run and can be difficult to solicit their attention. I can say they hire "preppy" types for wait people/bartenders/bar maids. They can appear as snooty/arrogant and above the fray. They will get to you when they get to you. If you don't like their attitude, then Glacier Brewhouse is right across the street. One can be guaranteed good service there. I can say I usually get good enough service that rivals Sea Galley. Can't complain.

I come here mostly for the pub grub and beer. The entertainment can range from mediocre to fantastic. The dance floor is small as is the performing stage. It seems like a popular chill spot for college kids with money. The people watching is above average here. As a result it can get pretty loud and difficult to be heard above drone of the crowd.

Favorite Dish: Healthy grilled halibut, burgers, and any listed "pub grub" special that comes out at 5 pm Hamburgers are supreme and well worth the price.

I think the food is good because the staff are gastro-nomes who really care about the quality of their product going out to the diners. Some executive chef is doing a great job. I don't know where the pressure or the expertise comes from. I have never had a dish here that I absolutely hated.

I quit frequenting here for awhile because of it's popularity that made it difficult to get a table or a seat at the bar.

• Singles
    • Cruise

• madmax79's Profile Photo

Humpy's Great Alaskan Alehouse: Great food and great beer!

by madmax79 Written Sep 5, 2013

We visited twice while in Anchorage. The first time, we sat outside on a beautiful Alaskan summer evening. We had a large group and the accomodated us nicely. The was one problem with an incorrect order out of 14 people but they corrected it.

The second time, only four of us went and we sat inside. It had the atmosphere you'd expect at an alehouse (loud and busy) but it was fun and right up my alley!

Favorite Dish: 1. The halibut fish and chips
    2. The fish tacos

• livinmydreams's Profile Photo

Great local brews and food

by livinmydreams Written Nov 17, 2010

Hump's is a great local ale house that keeps a wide variety of micro brews from here in Alaska. Their food is wonderful, the health nut halibut is my favorite and the bear battered halibut is my #2! The salmon spread is good as well. Good atmosphere, relaxed, nice people and really great food and beer.

A ton of locals hang out here after work, Sunday morning (check out their bloody mary bar) as well as the weekend.

Favorite Dish: Health Nut Halibut

• uaamom's Profile Photo

Humpys: Halibut & Chips to Write Home About!

by uaamom Written Oct 12, 2007

Local Pub & Sports Bar filled with locals kids looking like they just came in from the bush or off the fishing boat. I don't know if you can beat the Halibut & Chips here. Being a cider drinker, I tried and liked the Moose's Tooth (another tasty & cheerful Anchorage venue) apple ale.

Favorite Dish: Hot, flaky, crispy halibut and chips. Currently about $14.95. Tasty apple ale. Average for Anchorage prices.

• hersheybar's Profile Photo

Humpys: recommended by locals

by hersheybar Written Oct 8, 2007

I received a recommendation from a local business to try this place out and I was not disappointed. While it was a sports bar like atmosphere there is also a restaurant there and a stage for a band.

Favorite Dish: The salmon dip appetizer with accompanying french bread! I actually did not order this however a person I met in the next table said I had to try it out! Next time I'll know what to order!

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Humpys: Don't miss the Alaskan beer!

by vichatherly Updated Aug 29, 2006

Humpys is a great place to relax and have a few beers and a meal. There is nothing pretentious about this place, just good old honest values.

We did find it difficult to get a beer at the bar as it was quite busy when we first visited it on a Saturday night. You’re better off getting yourself a booth or a table and then letting the waiter/waitresses get around to serving you.

They have a great range of Alaskan micro beers, although the IPA and ales were a little bit too cold for my liking.

Favorite Dish: Nic and I couldn't get enough of the halibut; Nic especially liked the halibut burger.

The 3lb and 4lb crab pots looked really interesting and if there had been more than jus the two of us I think we would have had ago at them.

Beers to look out for:

Alaskan Amber - This was my particular favourite
    Alaskan Summer - Excellent ale
    MooseTooth Polar Pale Ale - A bit too cold for my liking
    IPA Humpys Sockeye Red - A bit of an aftertaste and far too cold again

Nic had an excellent bloody Mary, and you can even build your own on Sunday mornings from 9am!

Humpys T-Shirt Design

• Humpys: Good Food Good Brew

by worleyite Written Aug 5, 2005

More like a bar than a pub. Outstanding selection of local brews. I took the waiter's suggestion and tried Moose's Tooth Polar Pale Ale. He was spot on - it was great! The food runs the gamut from pub grub to quasi-Pan Pacific flavors. Waiter was great - food was tasty. No worries! I highly recommend Humpy's.

Favorite Dish: Special - Grilled Salmon Burger. Very tasty and generous side of fries. You won't leave here hungry!

• kaloz's Profile Photo

Humpy's Great Alaskan Alehouse: Good Food, Good Beer, . . .Good Times

by kaloz Updated Sep 13, 2002

This is a place where people go to have a good time, not too expensive, and plenty good spirits. If you like it a bit quieter, opt for the deck out back.

Favorite Dish: I recommend the Blackened Halibut Salad. Attractively priced at $11. Most menu item are under $15.

Humpy's

Instant Answers: Anchorage

Comments

Hotels Near Humpys
3.5 out of 5 stars