Places to eat in Anchorage

Simply the best calamari $11.95
    by Dymphna1
  • Spinach Ricotta Ensalata - $11.95 - it was great
    Spinach Ricotta Ensalata - $11.95 - it...
    by Dymphna1
  • Restaurants
    by shavy

Most Viewed Restaurants in Anchorage

• shavy's Profile Photo

Johnny Chicago's: Very Good Pizza

by shavy Updated Sep 21, 2015

Our last night in Anchorage, we went for pizza. During this trip we ate too much fish, salmon particularly. We'd like to try this pizza at Johnny's Chicago, they seems popular in the states, so we thought we go for it

When we get inside we were greeted by a young girl who takes order. She was so friendly. There were too many in the menu, after seeing the menu list we're doubting if we still take the pizza, it took a little to make a decision. It was pizza after all

After taking our orders while waiting at it, we're chatting to her. It was quiet anyway, so I ask her if the owner is Italian, she said no but his wife is. The wife is from Sicily Italy.

If you look to the menu, they have other dishes, is not only pizza. Salad and burger is available also. Our order takes so long, it normally take away order.

The meantime while still waiting our pizza, the girl seem like embarrassed because we've waited so long, but there was some kind of misunderstanding in the kitchen. They thought we're coming back to picked-up our order. So, the girl offer us a complimentary ice cream

Because it was too long, she went to the kitchen and ask where is our order. She came out with our pizza, and she was apologizing for the delay. Well, we're fine! we got the ice cream anyway, we thank her for it.

• shavy's Profile Photo

Buffalo Wild Wings: Great Food...Big Portion

by shavy Written Sep 16, 2015

Looking for restaurant in Anchorage is never a problem, almost every corner there is food. I have some list of restaurants in Anchorage, although we have a car, but driving to this crazy place was for us so annoying

We're searching for this particular restaurant that I have in my list, and we didn't found it during our drive. So we decided to take this Buffalo wild wings, this was on our way back and there was plenty of cars, so we didn't know it was crowded

There was a game that night. We have to stand in queue till a table free. It didn't take long a girl escorted us to a table. The girl was very friendly and talkative. She heard us talking our language and was curious where we from. When we say from Belgium she was surprise, how far we came

She immediately give us the menu, looking at the menu was confusing, there were so many choices. We don't know how big the portion was, so we took a Burritos as appetizer. For main dish we took the Buffalo wings, and thought we get our appetizer first, no, they both serve this together

The Burritos was heavily stuffed, and the portion was too big, so as the buffalo wings. We have so much leftover and the girl asked if we take it home. We have a microwave in our room, so we took the leftover

Even how crowded it was, the service was very quickly. I noticed each staffs has their own table. There were many of them serving. Inside there were a few big screen where everyone can watched the game. Is kind of dark interior but is not a problem, probably because the television is playing and they switch off some of the lights

Burritos Buffalo wings

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Fat Ptarmigan: Enticing, but Skip It

by FatesWarn Written Jul 31, 2014

I was drawn in by the pizza menu; I didn't have any places picked out and just chose based on walking by - something I NEVER do.
    The service was terrible; they were slow and despite the fact that we were sitting right next to the water service station, I had to practically get up and block their path to get the attention of a server to refill mine. So it went with placing an order for food and getting the food.
    As for the food itself, I probably should have just chosen a menu pizza, but I decided to build my own because it is rare that a restaurant offers potatoes as a topping, so I was excited about this. I got about 4 slices of potato on the whole pie, sliced as thin as a chip before frying. The crust was boring and tasteless.
    I should have stuck with a second trip to Glacier Brewhouse.

• Cruise

• madmax79's Profile Photo

Moose's Tooth: Spectacular pizza!

by madmax79 Written Sep 5, 2013

Moose's Tooth is very busy and we had to wait 30-45 minutes both times we went. It's a great place to hang with friends and chow down on some pizza (good beer too). The service was good once we got in and we had a large group both times with no issues.

Favorite Dish: Build your own pizza!

• Oatlad's Profile Photo

Johhny Chicago's: Chicago-Style Hot Dogs and much more

by Oatlad Written Jan 8, 2013

It has a franchise feel and a menu packed with fast food fundamentals, but Johnny Chicago's is fast food in look and efficiency only. It does favorites better than the fast food giants, offers a menu filled out by some American fast-food archetypes and delivers across-the-board consistency and quality that all restaurants strive for.

Favorite Dish: Italian Roast Beef a.k.a. “a Beef”

“Gimme a beef hot, sweet, and wet.” That’s Chicago-speak for, “I would like my Italian Roast Beef with hot peppers, roasted sweet peppers, and an extra splash of gravy.”

So, you ask, “What’s the big deal?” Well, in a word, it’s extraordinary. But you’ve tasted roast beef before, how can that be extraordinary? Like everything else “Chicago”, it must have exactly the right ingredients, brought together in exactly the right way, and voila, you have extraordinary. Basically, it’s highly seasoned slow-roasted beef, shaved thin, and awash in a fragrant seven-herbs-and-spices au-jus that we Italians like to call “gravy.” It’s piled into a warm, crusty, stone-oven baked Italian roll and is really great with any or more of the traditional toppings--hot peppers, roasted sweet peppers, grilled onions and/or provolone. Once you’ve tasted one, you know mere words can’t adequately describe “a Beef.”

• Music
    • Hot Air Ballooning

Crow's Nest: Elegant with a great view

by RickinDutch Updated Jun 20, 2012

The Crow's Nest is located atop the Captain Cook Hotel in downtown Anchorage. Fine dining in an elegant setting with a great view of Anchorage and Cook Inlet. Watch the sun set over Mt. Susitna across the inlet and relax.
    It is the only AAA 4 diamond restaurant in Anchorage.
    20,000 bottles of wine to choose from. Excellent meat prepared well. Fresh seafood flown in daily. Dress well and understand this will cost you. Always seems worth the bucks to me.

This was our special occasion spot when we lived in Anchorage and still is when passing through. Sunday Brunch is outstanding as well.

Favorite Dish: Fresh oysters followed by a NY Steak. Bottle of Malbec. Finish up with creme brulee and a glass of port.

Recently had their Lamb Osso Bucco. Wow!

Sunset from The Crow New York Steak Pork Tenderloin & Scallops Bouillabaisse Luna Sangiovese

Bangkok Cafe: Excellent Thai

by RickinDutch Written Jun 18, 2012

This Thai Restaurant was a pleasant surprise. Located downtown just across the street from the Captain Cook Hotel in the parking lot between The Voyager hotel and an office building it isn't that easy to find but worth it.
    Plain decor and excellent food and service. Went for a business lunch in June of 2012 and was a bit worried as no other customers were in the place - not always a good sign. One in our group had eaten here before and insisted it was a good spot.
    It soon filled up though and our meal was excellent. I've spent time in Thailand and this was the real deal.

Favorite Dish: I had the Pad Thai and it was excellent. Waitress talked me out of hot and I settled for mild and was glad I did. Excellent flavors and fresh ingredients. $11.50
    The others in our group each had the Kouy Tiew Nam (Pho Soup) and all raved about theirs as well. $12.50

Bangkok Cafe - Entrance Kouy Tiew Nam Pad Thai

Snow City Cafe: Best Breakfast

by RickinDutch Written Jun 5, 2012

Snow City has been voted best breakfast since 2008 - and it's is a richly deserved title.
    Nothing fancy in the setting, but great food and service.
    Expect to wait 10-15 minutes most mornings, especially on the weekends.
    Open 07:00AM to 3PM on weekdays and stays open a little later (4:00PM) on weekends.
    Portions are huge, menu is inventive, organic, and somewhat healty.

Favorite Dish: Nuevo Huevos or Egg Benedict are both excellent.

Nuevo Huevos

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Jen's Restaurant: European/Scandinavian Wow!

by RickinDutch Updated Jun 5, 2012

Located in a strip mall in midtown and yet inside is comforably elegant with fantastic cooking. The owner, Jens Hansen, is friendly and eccentric and a lover of great food. Always innovative and always delicous. It's all about great eating and a warm atmosphere.

A blend of European and Scandinavian foods and a very deep wine list.

Highly recommended by all the guide books and yours truely. Excellent lunches and dinners. The wine bar is great for eating a full meal or just sipping a glass. After 10PM, Jens cranks up the music and the place gets quite noisy. Closes around midnight.

Favorite Dish: Sauteed strips of Calamari Piccatta, Pan seared Kodiak Scallops on a saffron pernod. And whatever wine Jens recommends.

Returned in June 2012- just as good as ever. Had Foie Gras followed by a port chop.

Foie Gras Pork loin

Kumagoro Restaurant: Decent Sushi

by RickinDutch Written May 16, 2012

Excellent sashimi and sushi, but to be honest - I'm no expert. I liked it and it was an easy walk from the hotel downtown. Went there for lunch and again for dinner. We had a lot of sushi lovers in our group and they seemed to like it.

Kumagoro Restaurant

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Orso Restaurant: Nice Ambiance

by karenincalifornia Updated Apr 4, 2011

Orso is one of the nicer restaurants in Anchorage. It has a dark, kind of reddish bordello-ish interior (or is that just the way my photo came out?) and pretty good Italian food - antipasti, salads, soups, pastas, steak, fish. I guess it is really Italian/Alaskan fusion. For instance, you might get a sirloin steak with a Chianti sauce and mashed Yukon Gold potatoes. (Are Yukon Gold potatoes Alaska food? Maybe this one is stretching the Italian/Alaskan fusion angle.)

OK, how about a Cashew Crusted Halibut with golden raisin-caper sauce, spinach, roasted red pepper couscous? That's gotta be Asian/Alaskan/Californian/Italian/Middle Eastern/Popeye fusion.

The food was pretty good, but pricey. But then, everything in Anchorage is pricey, so just be prepared (with money).

Orso Restaurant, Anchorage, AK
    • Adventure Travel

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Sullivans: Excellent Steakhouse

by vichatherly Updated Apr 4, 2011

I hope your feeling hungry when you go in this place. It serves huge portions of everthing you could possibly want from a steakhouse.

We turned up with no reservation, but fortunately they had on table for two free.

Favorite Dish: Steak of course!

With the steak you get a huge half an Iceberg lettuce wedge with Blue cheese dressing, so there's no real need to order a side salad.

If you're on a budget then don't bother with the wine list!

Cocktails at Sullivans
    • Beer Tasting

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Rumrunners Bar and Grill: People Watch While You Eat

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

It was my last evening in Anchorage, I was alone, and was drawn to Rumrunners by the outside tables. It is in Old Towne, the main tourist area of Anchorage, and a great place to people watch while getting a bite to eat. The only problem is that the service, at least for the outside tables, was very slow and inattentive. Maybe the wait staff was more occupied with the larger inside crowd where there was lots of noise, a dance floor and liquor flowing. While I was dining a panhandler came by and solicited all of the outside diners. And no, he didn't want a bite to eat. I would have given him that.

Favorite Dish: I had the Fish and Chips: battered cod filets deep fried with french fried potatoes and cole slaw. It was OK. My suspicion is that those who dine inside the restaurant with a larger party may get better service and have a totally different experience here than I did.

Photo Lost, Logo Taken from Menu

• Scandic's Profile Photo

Organic Oasis: Good vegetarian and organic food

by Scandic Updated Apr 4, 2011

Organic Oasis is a restaurant and a juice bar! A nice cozy 'living room' feeling and very good food, live music and wireless network. So you can enjoy your wheat grass juice and surf for free here. But do not leave it to that juice, continue with a lunch or even a dinner. This place knows how to cook a delicious vegetarian food. Oh yeah.

And the live music is a nice addition. It is not usually too loud.

Favorite Dish: Portobella mushroom burger with feta cheese! Yummy!!!!

Monday 11:30 to 7pm
    Tues, Wed, Thurs 11:30 to 9:pm
    Fri, Sat 11:30 to 10:pm

This has nothing else to with OO than the name..;)

• toontown's Profile Photo

The Crow's Nest Restaurant: Fine dining high above the city

by toontown Updated Apr 4, 2011

While in Anchorage I went to the aptly named Crow's Nest only once, however, the food, wine and service was exceptional (although correspondingly pricey) and I would highly recommend the experience to anyone who wants to treat themselves to an evening of gourmet cuisine and great wine selection. High atop the Hotel Captain Cook, the restaurant has a spectacular view of the Cook Inlet and city. The group of 12 I was with were all very impressed with the service, particularly when the entrees were served. Somehow the wait staff brought out all 12 dishes covered in silver domes, placed them in front of the correct person (without peaking) and lifted all 12 domes off in unison. Now that's what you call team work.

They all have a little bar next to the restaurant, where you can get great canapes and cocktails before dinner.

Favorite Dish: I can't remember the gourmet name of the dish, but it was essentially surf and turf, with filet mignon and Alaskan king crab and asparagus. Absolutely delicious.

• Business Travel

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Marriott Anchorage Downtown

Instant Answers: Anchorage

Anchorage Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Anchorage locals.
Map of Anchorage