Fun things to do in Anchorage

• Chugach Mountains
  • Portage Glacier
  • Portage Glacier

Most Viewed Things to Do in Anchorage

Alaska Aviation Museum

by Dymphna1 Updated Jan 23, 2015

This is a good place to see the history of aviation in Alaska. Alaska was actually on the cutting edge of aviation as it is needed to get around the state. There are many different videos on how aviation has changed Alaska, but the best one was on how Japan held parts of Alaska during WWII. I had know that Japan had attacked Alaska during the war, but did not realize that they had held a few islands of Alaska for a period of time.

There is also a place to be able to watch the planes take off and land from both the main airport, but also from the lake next to it.

There is a free shuttle to and from the airport to the museum and luggage storage. There is also a AAA discount.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Wildlife - Moose

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 30, 2014

Moose are the largest of the deer family and are distinguishable by their large antlers (the males, while the females have none) and their characteristc long faces. Although they had a wider range in habitat, currently they can only be found in northern hemispheric territories like Alaska, Canada, Russia and Scnadanavia. Unlike other deer members, moose are solitary animals and are not found in herds.

I had hoped to get a glimpse of a large male with their huge antelors as Alaska does have a large population of moose, but sadly that would not be the case. I had two sightings. The first was at night while I was driving. A mother and her calf ran across the road and by the time I grabbed my camera she was already in the woods and out of sight.

My second sighting was more fruitful. I was driving along Highway #1 back from Whittier when I spotted a bunch of cars parked along the road. There was a large partial of land and far off in the distance was this moose. His antelors were small, which I would guess means that the moose was a younger male.

Although I have a 135mm zoom lense, the moose was so far off that I had to crop the pictures in order to get a better look at the moose. This is how I saw the small squiggly antelors :)

He knew we were looking Just grazing So far in the distance A little closer A turn to graze on this end
    • Photography

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Wildlife - Dall's Sheep

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 30, 2014

Dall's sheep are native to northwestern North America and can be found in subarctic ranges of Alaska, Yukon and Northern British Columbia. They can range in color from white to a light brown. The males have the large thick curling horns, while the female have smaller thinner slightly curved horns. Males reside in "bands" and only come in contact with females during the mating season.

It is said that at mile marker 107 on the Seaward Highway #1 is the only place in the world where Dall's sheep can be seen at sea level from the road. I followed this tip and to my surprise, there they were along a small slopping cliff in plain view of moving motorist.

I parked my car at the lookout and walked along the road to get a better look and there they were. A small group of females grazing in the thicket. One particular sheep decided to make my viewing even more pleasant and climbed up another outcrop of rocks and just stared at me.

It was a nice experience to get to see these beautiful beings in their natural environment.

Hey, I see you :) Just grazing under the thicket Making her way to the top I'll stop so you can take a pic :) Making their way around the thicket
    • Photography

Anchorage Museum

by Dymphna1 Written Oct 27, 2013

This is a great museum for culture. But my tour through here was extraordinary. My uncle is an archeologist and my aunt is an anthropologist. They are experts on Eskimos, my Uncle Bill Workman is considered to be the world's authority on Eskimos. As we were going through the museum I asked if anything in there was his. He pointed to the beads below and said, "That is one of mine."

Musuem This is a lamp, an early lamp in good shape coat made from intestines Beads from Uncle Bill's dig  site in Chugachik Is.
    • Archeology

Planet walk

by Dymphna1 Written Oct 27, 2013

Throughout the city there is a planet walk, starting with the sun on G St. From there the planets are marked by signs from the sun at equal distances. Mercury is first and then so on to all 9 planets, and yes I think Pluto is a planet no matter what they say.

Starting at the sun Beginning explination of walk Mercury Juperiter

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Alaska Experience Theatre & Earthquake Exhibit

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Alaska Experience Theatre and Earthquake Exhibit are two different attractions in one location. Tickets may be purchased for either one individually, or you will save money by getting a combination ticket for both.

The Alaska Experience theatre with planetarium seating and a 180-degree wraparound screen almost 3 stories high. A 40 minute film is show which features stunning vistas and wildlife, and made me wonder what it was doing there in a dark theatre when I should be out seeing those things in person.

The Earthquake Exhibit has several exhibits which tell the story of the Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964, and then you will be shown a film while sitting in seats that rumble and shake to simulate the effect of an earthquake. It was informative and fun.

Hours:
    Summer: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
    Winter: Noon - 6 p.m.

Alaska Theatre Experience
    • Theater Travel

• kusiqstutik's Profile Photo

Doing Advance Research?

by kusiqstutik Updated Apr 4, 2011

Here's an excellent local reference, put out by the Anchorage Daily News. The ADN also publishes, each Friday, the 8 Magazine, which we all grab because it's a great compendium covering ALL kinds of outdoor and indoor activities for the next week or two.

• deenie169's Profile Photo

Anchorage Museum

by deenie169 Written Feb 22, 2011

We really enjoyed visiting the Anchorage Museum. They have a Smithsonian Arctic Studies exhibit which is specifically about the Native People of Alaska-Beautiful artifacts and information about the language and cultures in Alaska.

There is also a large exhibit on Alaska history with displays and lots of content on the fur trade, the pipeline, the earthquake, Russian influence, etc. Informative!

Sunday drive

by balhannah Updated Sep 9, 2010

A most beautiful drive is from Anchorage to Seward.

We saw wildlife, (Moose, Dall sheep) and the most beautiful scenery.
    Stop off at Windy point to see the Dall sheep on the roads edge and on the cliff edges. If you are lucky, at Beluga point, you may see the Beluga whales, we weren't lucky enough.
    Stop at Girdwood, and go up the Gondola at Alyeska resort for magnificent views of Turnagain Arm. Further on, we saw large lakes frozen over. Scenery was good the whole way.

A really enjoyable days outing with lots to see, so leave plenty of time.

Check out the website below for what you see on the drive............

A large frozen lake beginning of Summer

Girdwood - Alyeska Resort

by balhannah Updated Sep 9, 2010

On your drive down the Kenai Peninsula, you will come across a signpost saying "Girdwood" Take the turn, and pull in at the Alyeska Resort.
    This Resort is open Summer and Winter. We were there in the Summer.

Take the Tramway to the Summit, its only a 7 minute ride, but the views are fantastic! There is an Observation deck and Cafe, 2300feet up. The views from here are the best, Mountains, Glaciers, Turnagain Arm, Forests, just beautiful. Telescopes are at the Glacier Terminal viewing deck.

Tram ride (2009) is $18 Tram ride and including the Meal $28. We did the ride with the meal [ the meal wasn't the best], it may have improved by now.

Open May to September 9-9pm October 1 - 18th, 10 - 6pm,
    March 15 - April 26th 10.30 - 5.30pm

View from the deck Looking down onto the Resort

Moose sighting

by balhannah Updated Sep 8, 2010

KINCAID PARK is a 1400acre park, and is
    HOME TO ANCHORAGE'S LARGEST MOOSE POPULATION.

If you want to see moose in the wild, go to Kincaid Park in Anchorage early morning or early evening. Here, you see Moose in the wild and feeding on the road edges.
    We saw three females, the photo is of one of them.

Other wildlife you may see here are...... lynx, bear, fox, eagles, porcupines, and others.

The park gates are open seven days a week from 10:00am until 10:00pm.

Moose in Kincaid Park  Anchorage

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo

Flightseeing Alaska

by Tugboatguy Updated Apr 4, 2010

Alaska is so vast filled with wondrous mountain ranges including Mt. McKinley, or "Denali", our highest at 20,320 feet, huge glaciers, rivers, almost uncounted lakes and forests that can only be appreciated fully by air. The vastness of Alaska can be traversed most efficiently by aircraft hired to show you the beauty of Alaska's nature, its wild animals, its glorious vistas and more. Many great fishing resorts are only accessible by bush planes either on floats, tundra tire wheels or skis, depending on the season and weather.

Rust's Flying Service is a pioneer, flying Alaska since 1963 with vast experience and an excellent fleet of aircraft including their sister company, K2 Aviation, which offers special mountain flightseeing. Rust's is based at Lake Hood Seaplane Base in Anchorage, the world's largest seaplane base which is a good place to plan a flying vacation around Alaska personalized to your individual wishes and needs. They operate everything from Piper Super Cubs with one passenger seat to DeHavilland Otter turboprop aircraft seating 12 -14 passengers.

I rented a DeHavilland Beaver floatplane with seasoned and skilled bush pilot having 24 years commercial flight experience. This is an radial engine 450 horsepower aircraft that can seat 7 or 8 but alone I was able to fly in the copilot seat-a great thrill. My flight experience as a pilot goes back 45 years, but this seaplane flight in Alaska was a long-overdue first for me. Rust has regular tourist flights, too, or tailor your own as I did for fly-in fishing, nature scenery or seaplane flight demonstrations.

Rust's N4444Z Beaver That I Flew In Rust's N929KT Cessna 206 Turbo Caravan K2's N4361A Piper Super Cub Rust's N68083 Beaver Near Splashdown Rust's N2899J Otter About to Land
    • Fishing
    • Adventure Travel

BIGGEST Chocolate Fountain!

by jumpingnorman Updated May 9, 2009

Okay, okay..we are chocolate lovers and I am sure a lot of VTers are as well. This Wildberry Park has the biggest Chocolate Fountain in the world! Of course, you are not supposed to touch or eat the chocolate when you see it because that choco has been flowing since time immemorial. They have a stack of 10 pound bars - totalling 500 pounds of choco. Yummy!

There was a stair at the back of the fountain and I went up it but it was the offices - so basically, the choco shop is just one level. Right in the middle are glass windows where you can see chocolate actually being made - a real chocolate factory. They do sell a complete choco package for $199 but then I prefer to choose the choco myself. Unfortunately, the prices are a bit exorbitant and may be uinaffordable to some - but there is free chocolate to be had on the counter! I grabbed three samplers, hehehe --- yummy...

My sister and I both agreed that there is a little bit of aftertaste with the choco there and it might be the characteristic of this particular choco factory...so she preferred to buy the fruit jams instead.

For chocoholics, a place to be! Not to mention that it is right across the Sourdough Mining Company which we found out later was a great place to eat at --- I had reindeer sausage (restaurant tip!)

Oh and if you want to be picked up from your hotel to be brought to the Wildberry Park, then just call 563-2272

Biggest chocolate Fountain of WORLD, Anchorage Chocolate Factory in Anchorage, Alaska Big bears at the Wildberry Choco Factory Chocolate Factory and Store, Anchorage You can see the choco made in store, Anchorage

AK Aviation Heritage Museum, Anchorage

by jumpingnorman Updated May 8, 2009

So, we just got back from the Earthquake Park and we were driving down an airport road and saw a sign leading to an Air Museum! Cool!!

It was basically composed of three hangars and the lady at the front desk was very nice - saying we can take pics as much as we want as long as we don't use them for advertisment on the web. We paid $10 per adult.

We watched a little film first on some of the pioneers in Alaska, but then we did not finish it because I wanted to see the old planes. We were the only people at the Museum at the time and so my sister and i goofed around the exhibits where you can sit ona toy wooden plane, a makebelieve cockpit, and pose with several old planes.

There is even an interactive "flying modulator" so the computer can guide you through how you can land and fly a plane - but there was no instructor at the time and I did not know how to use the equipment.

Outside was an outdoor exhibit with a huge Alaska Airlines jet and so I had myself photographed uner the tail. My sister preferred to pose with the older green plane.

Aviation enthusiasts would love this and they also sell nice stuff at thegirfty shop, include old gauges which were from actual planes.

Playing around with sister at Aviation Museum, AK BOMB at AK Aviation Heritage Museum, Anchorage AK Aviation Heritage Museum, Anchorage outside at AK Aviation Heritage Museum, Anchorage inside at AK Aviation Heritage Museum, Anchorage

Earthquake Park

by jumpingnorman Updated May 8, 2009

So my sister just had fresh fish shipped to her San Jose, California home from the 10th and M St fish store (they ship for you) , and I wanted to start exploring during that morning. On the map I saw the Earthquake Park was close and so we decided to drive to it.

In 1964, Alaska had a 9.2 earthequake that was so great that it moved the ground several feet (17 inches I think) and even underwater fish died and scallops and mussels got suffocated by the displaced mud! It was so catatstrophic, and it is said that Alaska will have more such earthquakes in the future and so the state is building better buildings and facilities.

The Earthquake Park is a good reminder of the forces of nature and there is an outdoor exhibit around the stone memorial which explains the dynamics of the earthquake and how it affected the ecosystem. There is a very long walking/jogging paved trail around the park.

Entry is of course free and it is nice to spend about 15 minutes here and take pictures with the monument and the view from the waterside.

Note that there is actual footage from the 1964 quake that can be watched at the Alaska Channel in your hotel.

Earthquake Park in Alaska - about 1964 guake Earthquake Park in Alaska - about 1964 guake Earthquake Park in Alaska - about 1964 guake Earthquake Park in Alaska - about 1964 guake Earthquake Park in Alaska - about 1964 guake

Anchorage Hotels

Homewood Suites by Hilton Anchorage
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Marriott Anchorage Downtown

Instant Answers: Anchorage

Comments

Anchorage Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Anchorage locals.
Map of Anchorage