Fun things to do in Anchorage

• Chugach Mountains
  • Portage Glacier
  • Portage Glacier

Most Viewed Things to Do in Anchorage

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Wildlife - Moose

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 5, 2014

Moose are the largest of the deer family and are distinguishable by their large antlers (the males, while the females have none) and their characteristc long faces. Although they had a wider range in habitat, currently they can only be found in northern hemispheric territories like Alaska, Canada, Russia and Scnadanavia. Unlike other deer members, moose are solitary animals and are not found in herds.

I had hoped to get a glimpse of a large male with their huge antelors as Alaska does have a large population of moose, but sadly that would not be the case. I had two sightings, the first was at night while I was driving. A mother and her calf ran across the road and by the time I grabbed my camera she was already in the woods and out of sight.

My second sighting was more fruitful. I was driving along Highway #1 back from Whittier when I spotted a bunch of cars parked along the road. There was a large partial of land and far off in the distance was this moose. His antelors were small, which I would guess means that the moose was a younger male.

Although I have a 135mm zoom lense, the moose was so far off that I had to crop the pictures in order to get a better look at the moose. This is how I saw the small squiggly antelors :)

• Photography

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Wildlife - Dall's Sheep

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 5, 2014

Dall's sheep are native to northwestern North America and can be found in subarctic ranges of Alaska, Yukon and Northern British Columbia. They can range in color from white to a light brown. The males have the large thick curling horns, while the female have smaller thinner slightly curved horns. Males reside in "bands" and only come in contact with females during the mating season.

It is said that at mile marker 107 on the Seaward Highway #1 is the only place in the world where Dall's sheep can be seen at sea level from the road. I followed this tip and to my surprise, there they were along a small slopping cliff in plain view of moving motorist.

I parked my car at the lookout and walked along the road to get a better look. There was a small group of females grazing in the thicket. One particular sheep decided to make my viewing even more pleasant and climbed up another outcrop of rocks and just stared at me.

It was a nice experience to get to see these beautiful beings in their natural environment.

• Photography

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

Anchorage Museum

by Dymphna1 Written Oct 27, 2013

This is a great museum for culture. But my tour through here was extraordinary. My uncle is an archeologist and my aunt is an anthropologist. They are experts on Eskimos, my Uncle Bill Workman is considered to be the world's authority on Eskimos. As we were going through the museum I asked if anything in there was his. He pointed to the beads below and said, "That is one of mine."

• Archeology

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

Planet walk

by Dymphna1 Written Oct 27, 2013

Throughout the city there is a planet walk, starting with the sun on G St. From there the planets are marked by signs from the sun at equal distances. Mercury is first and then so on to all 9 planets, and yes I think Pluto is a planet no matter what they say.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Alaska Experience Theatre & Earthquake Exhibit

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Alaska Experience Theatre and Earthquake Exhibit are two different attractions in one location. Tickets may be purchased for either one individually, or you will save money by getting a combination ticket for both.

The Alaska Experience theatre with planetarium seating and a 180-degree wraparound screen almost 3 stories high. A 40 minute film is show which features stunning vistas and wildlife, and made me wonder what it was doing there in a dark theatre when I should be out seeing those things in person.

The Earthquake Exhibit has several exhibits which tell the story of the Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964, and then you will be shown a film while sitting in seats that rumble and shake to simulate the effect of an earthquake. It was informative and fun.

Hours:
    Summer: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
    Winter: Noon - 6 p.m.

• Theater Travel

• kusiqstutik's Profile Photo

Doing Advance Research?

by kusiqstutik Updated Apr 4, 2011

Here's an excellent local reference, put out by the Anchorage Daily News. The ADN also publishes, each Friday, the 8 Magazine, which we all grab because it's a great compendium covering ALL kinds of outdoor and indoor activities for the next week or two.

• deenie169's Profile Photo

Anchorage Museum

by deenie169 Written Feb 22, 2011

We really enjoyed visiting the Anchorage Museum. They have a Smithsonian Arctic Studies exhibit which is specifically about the Native People of Alaska-Beautiful artifacts and information about the language and cultures in Alaska.

There is also a large exhibit on Alaska history with displays and lots of content on the fur trade, the pipeline, the earthquake, Russian influence, etc. Informative!

Sunday drive

by balhannah Updated Sep 9, 2010

A most beautiful drive is from Anchorage to Seward.

We saw wildlife, (Moose, Dall sheep) and the most beautiful scenery.
    Stop off at Windy point to see the Dall sheep on the roads edge and on the cliff edges. If you are lucky, at Beluga point, you may see the Beluga whales, we weren't lucky enough.
    Stop at Girdwood, and go up the Gondola at Alyeska resort for magnificent views of Turnagain Arm. Further on, we saw large lakes frozen over. Scenery was good the whole way.

A really enjoyable days outing with lots to see, so leave plenty of time.

Check out the website below for what you see on the drive............

Girdwood - Alyeska Resort

by balhannah Updated Sep 9, 2010

On your drive down the Kenai Peninsula, you will come across a signpost saying "Girdwood" Take the turn, and pull in at the Alyeska Resort.
    This Resort is open Summer and Winter. We were there in the Summer.

Take the Tramway to the Summit, its only a 7 minute ride, but the views are fantastic! There is an Observation deck and Cafe, 2300feet up. The views from here are the best, Mountains, Glaciers, Turnagain Arm, Forests, just beautiful. Telescopes are at the Glacier Terminal viewing deck.

Tram ride (2009) is $18 Tram ride and including the Meal $28. We did the ride with the meal [ the meal wasn't the best], it may have improved by now.

Open May to September 9-9pm October 1 - 18th, 10 - 6pm,
    March 15 - April 26th 10.30 - 5.30pm

• Hiking and Walking

Moose sighting

by balhannah Updated Sep 8, 2010

KINCAID PARK is a 1400acre park, and is
    HOME TO ANCHORAGE'S LARGEST MOOSE POPULATION.

If you want to see moose in the wild, go to Kincaid Park in Anchorage early morning or early evening. Here, you see Moose in the wild and feeding on the road edges.
    We saw three females, the photo is of one of them.

Other wildlife you may see here are...... lynx, bear, fox, eagles, porcupines, and others.

The park gates are open seven days a week from 10:00am until 10:00pm.

• Hiking and Walking

Alaska zoo

by balhannah Updated Sep 8, 2010

The Alaska zoo is a little different to other Zoos, as it takes in sick and injured animals and rehabilitates them. We had a look at the Zoo as its too hot in Australia to see the cooler climate animals. Most Alaskan animals are here, some are Polar Bear, Brown Bear, Glacier Bear, Black Bear, Wolves, Wolverine, Seals & Otters, Moose, Caribou, Lynx, and of course the Musk Ox.

The Musk ox at the Zoo decided to charge at me, gave me a shock, even though I was behind a fence. They are huge animals.
    We enjoyed our visit, it was a way for us to get acquainted with animals that are found in Alaska.

Admission in 2009 $12
    Open from 10 - 5pm daily.

• Zoo

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo

Flightseeing Alaska

by Tugboatguy Updated Apr 4, 2010

Alaska is so vast filled with wondrous mountain ranges including Mt. McKinley, or "Denali", our highest at 20,320 feet, huge glaciers, rivers, almost uncounted lakes and forests that can only be appreciated fully by air. The vastness of Alaska can be traversed most efficiently by aircraft hired to show you the beauty of Alaska's nature, its wild animals, its glorious vistas and more. Many great fishing resorts are only accessible by bush planes either on floats, tundra tire wheels or skis, depending on the season and weather.

Rust's Flying Service is a pioneer, flying Alaska since 1963 with vast experience and an excellent fleet of aircraft including their sister company, K2 Aviation, which offers special mountain flightseeing. Rust's is based at Lake Hood Seaplane Base in Anchorage, the world's largest seaplane base which is a good place to plan a flying vacation around Alaska personalized to your individual wishes and needs. They operate everything from Piper Super Cubs with one passenger seat to DeHavilland Otter turboprop aircraft seating 12 -14 passengers.

I rented a DeHavilland Beaver floatplane with seasoned and skilled bush pilot having 24 years commercial flight experience. This is an radial engine 450 horsepower aircraft that can seat 7 or 8 but alone I was able to fly in the copilot seat-a great thrill. My flight experience as a pilot goes back 45 years, but this seaplane flight in Alaska was a long-overdue first for me. Rust has regular tourist flights, too, or tailor your own as I did for fly-in fishing, nature scenery or seaplane flight demonstrations.

• Adventure Travel
    • Fishing

Alaska Zoo

by jumpingnorman Updated May 9, 2009

I have read about the Alaska Zoo here on VT so I was not going to pass up the opportunity! It was our last day in Anchorage and we have seen quite a bit of wildlife but we wanted to get close up and personal with the bear.

We did not get disappointed at the zoo -- two big bears were moving around the clayish ground of their enclosure and we can here the rasping of their clawed padded feet against the floor - we were that close. I don't know why they were pacing around too much - must be a ritual. But there is a famous bear named OREO and I was not sure if we were looking at Oreo then. I also learned that there were several kinds of these bears - brown, black, blue...did I also read maroon?

The entrance for us adults were $12 and of course, seniors and kids pay less. This amount seems very reasonable considering the nice number of native animals that they have. The cashier was not too friendly thoguh and did not smile much - but then she was pregnant and might not be feeling well at the time. It was drizzling a little bit and despite the previous sunny days we had, our last day was marred slightly by the unexpected cold. But not to worry, we had our jackets with us!

They also have a polar bear pool and their famous polar bear is named AHPUN.

Then, I did enjoy looking at weird-looking animals -- names of which I forgot already like that one which looked like a cross between a bison and a goat. Now I know what a caribou looks like and I would not mistake the moose we saw on the road with a caribou.

Surprisingly, they also have a tiger with a huge enclosure.And ofcourse, the Bald eagle was so nice to go up close too....we saw so many of them during our hikings and cruises but not this close. Owls, ravens, peregrines (?) and other birds were there as well...

Parking also seemed adequate although in the parking lot, it is confusing that when you are driving in -- two arros meet you and you get kinda confused where to park at. Maybe better signs and directions?

Open 9 AM - ^PM, till 9PM Tues and Friday
    $4-10 entrance(based on age), 2yo and under free

Overall, a very enjoyable zoo - worth spending an hour or two at. We did not pass the gift shop anymore because the entrace to it, we missed. They should put more signs leading to it.

• Zoo

BIGGEST Chocolate Fountain!

by jumpingnorman Updated May 9, 2009

Okay, okay..we are chocolate lovers and I am sure a lot of VTers are as well. This Wildberry Park has the biggest Chocolate Fountain in the world! Of course, you are not supposed to touch or eat the chocolate when you see it because that choco has been flowing since time immemorial. They have a stack of 10 pound bars - totalling 500 pounds of choco. Yummy!

There was a stair at the back of the fountain and I went up it but it was the offices - so basically, the choco shop is just one level. Right in the middle are glass windows where you can see chocolate actually being made - a real chocolate factory. They do sell a complete choco package for $199 but then I prefer to choose the choco myself. Unfortunately, the prices are a bit exorbitant and may be uinaffordable to some - but there is free chocolate to be had on the counter! I grabbed three samplers, hehehe --- yummy...

My sister and I both agreed that there is a little bit of aftertaste with the choco there and it might be the characteristic of this particular choco factory...so she preferred to buy the fruit jams instead.

For chocoholics, a place to be! Not to mention that it is right across the Sourdough Mining Company which we found out later was a great place to eat at --- I had reindeer sausage (restaurant tip!)

Oh and if you want to be picked up from your hotel to be brought to the Wildberry Park, then just call 563-2272

AK Aviation Heritage Museum, Anchorage

by jumpingnorman Updated May 8, 2009

So, we just got back from the Earthquake Park and we were driving down an airport road and saw a sign leading to an Air Museum! Cool!!

It was basically composed of three hangars and the lady at the front desk was very nice - saying we can take pics as much as we want as long as we don't use them for advertisment on the web. We paid $10 per adult.

We watched a little film first on some of the pioneers in Alaska, but then we did not finish it because I wanted to see the old planes. We were the only people at the Museum at the time and so my sister and i goofed around the exhibits where you can sit ona toy wooden plane, a makebelieve cockpit, and pose with several old planes.

There is even an interactive "flying modulator" so the computer can guide you through how you can land and fly a plane - but there was no instructor at the time and I did not know how to use the equipment.

Outside was an outdoor exhibit with a huge Alaska Airlines jet and so I had myself photographed uner the tail. My sister preferred to pose with the older green plane.

Aviation enthusiasts would love this and they also sell nice stuff at thegirfty shop, include old gauges which were from actual planes.

Anchorage Hotels

Latest: Apr 8, 2014
Marriott Anchorage Downtown
Latest: Apr 11, 2014

Instant Answers: Anchorage

Comments

Anchorage Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Anchorage locals.
Map of Anchorage