Anchorage Transportation

Alaska Railroad from Anchorage
  • Boarding the Alaska Railroad in Anchorage
    Boarding the Alaska Railroad in...
  • Intently Reading or Trying to Sleep Standing Up
    Intently Reading or Trying to Sleep...

Most Recent Transportation in Anchorage

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Rent a car and get out there and explore

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 13, 2015

I pre-arranged my car rental from home before my arrival. I really don't care what company I use regarding rentals as long as it's convenient and I get the best rate possible. Because I have no loyalty when it comes to rental, I use one of the many search engines on line. I've used Orbitz, Priceline and the likes. I secured my car rental for less than $25 a day which I picked up at the airport.

Anchorge Rental Car pick up is one of the easiest airport pick ups I have done. The car rentals are all located inside the airport which is convenient, no need to wait for a shuttle to take you off site. Once you've picked up your luggage (if you checked bags), make your way down to the lower level and follow the signs. After you're given the keys, make your way back upstairs and follow the signs to your rental car company's parking area.

• Photography
    • Eco-Tourism

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Anchorage Airport (ANC)

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 13, 2015

Anchorage airport is one of the nicer airports that I have flown into. The first time I flew into Anchroage was on my way to Thailand over 7 years ago and I believe they started removations in 2006. The airport is very clean, modern and efficient. Native and Alaskan art work can be found throughout the airport.

Arrival on domestic flights are at the South Terminal and there is a variety of shops and places to eat. I found that Anchorage is quite easy (on domestic flights) to navigate either upon arrival or departure. The security lines were quite short and moved quickly.

I flew American Airlines into Anchorage, which has limited flights daily, but it's my airline of choice. The car rental is located within the airport downstairs through a long corridor. I found this to bite very convenient is there is no need to leave the airport to catch a shuttle to the rental company.

For more information on the airport and its services, check out their official website.

Tarmac view from the gate windows More art work Gates Interesting art work Passage way to the car rental
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Photography

Alaska Railroad

by FatesWarn Updated Oct 13, 2014

The Alaska Railroad for tourists is more about getting to see a different view of the sites rather than efficient public transportation; I don't think there's any route that you would be better off taking the train over driving if time was a concern. We took the train because we love trains and wanted to see the sites from the railroad.
    We took the Anchorage to Seward ride, which can be done as a quick day trip, or a multi-day trip as we did. The only thing I seriously disliked about this ride was the 6:45am departure that requires you to arrive an HOUR before boarding. Ugh! That said, it was still worth it.
    For the daytrippers, this early morning departure allows you the most time at your destination and allows for some of the shorter cruise tours from Whittier and Seward.
    We went with the Gold Star Class; probably not worth it for everyone, but I don't like fighting crowds for anything, so having our own dedicated dining car and seating for the whole ride in a glass-domed car was worth it to me. The Adventure Class car has limited access to a public glass-domed car (I think you're only allowed in there for 20 minutes at a time - not sure how they police that), and the dining car has to serve a larger group of people, so they may resort to "festival style seating" (my tolerance for eating with strangers typically depends on whether or not it was my choice)).

Alaska Railroad from Anchorage Boarding the Alaska Railroad in Anchorage Alaska Railroad Anchorage Depot Intently Reading or Trying to Sleep Standing Up
    • Trains

Hertz Rent-a-Car

by FatesWarn Written Aug 2, 2014

Be advised that your #1 Gold status means pretty much nothing here. Ultimately, I got a great car out of the deal that I reserved , but not without a TON of hassle.
    The rental counters close in the wee hours, so if your flight is late, you might have to take a cab and then come back in the morning - this is what happened to me (see "Don't Fly United") when I arrived at 3am.
    In addition to not being full-service, Hertz got real scheister-like about my rate, which I reserved about 10 months in advance, because they had since hiked the rates threefold. This was happening when I called the national number though, when I finally called the Anchorage location, they had my booked rate and assured me there would be no problems.
    Now because I was #1 Gold, they had already checked me in for my arrival and when I didn't show up before closing time, they cancelled my reservation - I was assured that it was good for 24 hours, and it WAS, but not without more hassle.
    There was only one girl at the counter when I arrived (by hotel shuttle) and she had to manually add everything in as if I was a walk-up and then over-ride the rate with my reserved rate. For some reason she, as a Hertz employee, was unable to look up my #1 Gold number, so I had to do that for her through my phone.
    While this was all going on, there was a whiny and impatient group forming behind me and loudly commenting about how long all of this was taking (I know there was someone in the back room because I heard the girl at the counter talking to them when she went back there), so that just added to my frustration.
    Ultimately, I wound up paying less than $500 for 10 days with a Jeep Patriot, when I reserved a full-size sedan. Not too shabby, but it would have been nice if I didn't have to work so hard for it.
    A note on returning: it's weird. There's no one there and the signage is NOT clear - basically, you just drive your car into the packed lanes of other returned cars and leave it there and then tell the rental counter people where you left it when you get inside.

• Business Travel

Don't Fly United!!

by FatesWarn Written Jul 5, 2014

I am fairly loyal to United, so I planned a trip to Alaska using my miles. Long story short, we arrived in Anchorage exactly 24 hours after our friend dropped us off at the Philadelphia airport (at that rate, we could have flown to Sydney...). When I told the story of our troublesome travel day to any Alaskan, they all reacted in with a knowing shaking of their heads upon learning that we flew United. They all recommended Alaska Air. I looked up the prices, they are definitely a little more expensive (along the lines of Virgin Air prices), but if they get you there on time and you don't miss anything you scheduled for your trip then it's worth it.

Not What You Want to See When You Land Firetrucks to Greet Our Unscheduled Landing
    • Business Travel

Alaska Railroad

by RickinDutch Written Mar 26, 2012

I've lived in Alaska for 33 years and didn't realize the train ran in the winter. Went on line and sure enough - they be running. Weekends only.

I've made the run in the summer, both north to Fairbanks and south to Seward. Very pleasant trips and a great way to sit back and enjor the scenery without worrying about hitting a moose or a patch of ice while driving.
    The railroad has upgraded their cars in the past 10 years or so, as cruising gets more popular in Alaska. Very nice.

• liusia's Profile Photo

Get out of the city!

by liusia Written Apr 8, 2011

If you are here for any appreciable length of time, you will definitely want to rent a vehicle and get out exploring on your own. Even just a drive on one of the state highways can be a memorable experience - and they are well-maintained and about as safe as they can be, given the climate and conditions!

view from the shoulder of highway 1

• RitchiS1's Profile Photo

WALKING THROUG THE CITY

by RitchiS1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

WALKSING THROG THE CITY , IF YOU WANTTO SEE THE NICE PANORAMA OF ANCHORAGE AND THE SOUROUNDING MOUTAINS .

FOR THOSE WHO WNTS TO MAKE ONLY A SHORT TRIPP BY FEET AND SSE THE MOST INTERESTING POINT , FOLLOW THE FOOTPRINTS ANT THE INFOCENTER

ANCHORAGE
    • Beer Tasting

• balhannah's Profile Photo

cruise to Vancouver

by balhannah Updated Sep 9, 2010

We did a 7 day cruise from Whittier, Alaska, to Vancouver, British Columbia.
    Our ship was the "DIAMOND PRINCESS'

Boarding at Whittier went smoothly and quickly on a very miserable day.
    On board, and we had an inside cabin which was very nice, always kept clean and tidy by our nice steward.
    Meals were excellent, and we had a huge choice. Entertainment was very good as well.

The Cruise directors can make or break a cruise, and ours on this cruise were excellent, laughs galore with them. There were plenty of things to do onboard if you wished, lots of people to mix with, and great ports for full days of sightseeing, etc.
    We had no complaints, everything ran smoothly, and nothing was too much trouble for the crew.

Would definitly sail with them again.

inside cabin cruise ship pool area pool area pool area
    • Cruise
    • Luxury Travel

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

People Mover Bus Transit

by jumpingnorman Written May 8, 2009

My sister and I rented a car from Hertz from the airport and did not have to use public transportation. But I felt I needed to write about this amazing public transpo service they have in Anchorage.

This local transit system is at 6th Ave between G and H St and can take visitors to specific atraction and activities. The Buses run on the hour and one way fares are as follows:

Adults $1.75
    Youth 5-18 yo $1.00
    Unlimited day pass available for adult and youth at $4. These can be bought on the bus, but bring exact change.

You can get route and schedule info straight from a phone system (push-button) at 343-6543 (24 hours service). Live operators are available M-F 8AM-5PM.

This a great service that Anchorage has for its thousands of visitors, especially during the winter when people may be more uncomforatble about driving. Lucky for me and my sister, we visited during the spring - and would do so again in the future!

near Anchorage, Alaska

Excellent Bus System

by RickinDutch Updated Jul 1, 2008

The People Mover System, as the local bus service is known, is actually quite good. The current mayor has put a lot of effort into improving service and it shows. If you are in Anchorage for a bit you can get just about anywhere in town by bus. The main hub is right downtown on 5th street next to JC Penneys and the 5th Ave Mall and is not a very safe spot for the lone traveler. Schedules vary depending on who main the route is with frequency anywhere from every 15 minutes to every hour.

Fare is 1.75 one way, or .50 for seniors 60+ and handicap. All buses are handicap accessible now and most have a rack for bicycles.

Parking downtown can be hard to find and expensive, so many workers leave their cars at home and take the bus. With the price of gas above 3.50/gal ridership is growing.

A downside (or upside depending on your outlook) is that you will experience a cross slice of humanity rarely seen by tourists. There is a large number of folks just struggling to find their next meal and you most likely will run across them on the bus.

From their website

Rent a Car

by RickinDutch Updated Jul 1, 2008

A rental car is almost a must to see all that Anchorage and the surrounding areas have to offer, especially if you are an independent traveler and plan on seeing more of Alaska.
    A few tips:
    -- There is a large tax that applies to all rental cars rented in the state. It is a long story, and involves politcal paybacks, etc. Just be sure you know whether it has been included in the price quoted.
    -- It used to be that you could rent from a company away from the airport and avoid some of the airport surcharges. Some of the major brands have branches downtown and if you go thru them there they don't charge the airport surcharge. With the completion of the rental car parking garage at the airport, all the majors are there now. The walk from the baggage claim to the rental car counters at the new facility is a long one. I'd suggest sending someone to get the car rather than dragging all your bags if you aren't traveling light. But remember that if you plan on driving the car you have to be at the counter and show your driver's license.
    -- Shop around for the best rate. I've been using Orbitz.com and Expedia.com lately (02/2008) and they seem to be finding lower rates. It is a different company each week. Last week Avis this week Thrifty.
    -- Avoid Rent-A-Wreck and other offbrand companies in the winter. Nothing worse than having your clunker break down in sub-zero weather - no matter how much you save.

• uaamom's Profile Photo

Last Wilderness Train

by uaamom Written Oct 12, 2007

Particularly because it was off season- a fabulous trip. Really lets you experience how vast and wild Alaska is. The train made local "whistle-stops" (you can wave the train down with a white handkerchief) at places where there are no roads. At this fall season, only 1 car for passengers, the last weekend with a dining car and the train stopped to let us photograph the spectacularly clear (rare) views of Denali and a few other things.
    During the fall/winter season it only runs Anchorage to Fairbanks on Saturday and Fairbanks to Anchorage on Sunday. No runs to Seward in the winter.
    We stayed at the Dome Home B&B in Healy. That was cozy, Alaskan and cheerful.

• Trains
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Renting a Car at the Anchorage Airport

by AlbuqRay Updated Sep 16, 2007

Renting a car at the Anchorage airport is not an easy thing to do. To start with, it is a long walk from the Main Hall to the new rental car building. You can also forget Avis Preferred. They do it the old-fashioned way. Counting the time I spent stading in line, it took an hour to get my contract and then I had to go inspect my car in the gargage and come back to add all the dings (esp. on the windshield) to the contract. To top it off, the low oil warning light came on while I was in Homer (thank goodness I was near a service station). The car was two quarts low and the oil was filthy. For sure that car had not had an oil change within 5000 miles. Anyway, it all turned out okay. Just don't expect the same Avis service as in the Lower 48.

Start Here Hall to Rental Car Building Come Out Here Get Contract Here

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport

by AlbuqRay Updated Sep 16, 2007

The Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport is a very nice, modern airport with beautiful common areas and even a Native art gallery upstairs, although most of the art is presently covered up to prevent sun damage. Concourse C already services Alaska and American Airlines (the ones I flew) and Northwest Airlines. It is being remodeled so that all the domestic airlines can be consolidated there. Just a thought... does Veco Corporation do airport remodeling as well as houses? [sorry Catalysta].

Anchorage was a common stopover for passengers flying to East Asia from the 1960s to the 1980s because US, Asian, and Western European aircraft could not fly over Soviet airspace, and because they did not have the range that modern-day aircraft have. Today, many cargo carriers continue to use Anchorage for cargo heading to and from the Far East. It is anticipated that this business will grow as trade with China, Russia and other Far East countries expands.

Two things to know about the airport: (1) there is a really good visitors' information center located near the baggage claim area, and (2) the new rental car building is connected by a tunnel to the main terminal but it is a long walk, especially if you are carrying luggage.

Main Hall and Escalator Down to Rental Car Tunnel Alaska Airlines' Check In Area Concourse C Entrance Other End of Concourse C Upstairs Art Gallery

Instant Answers: Anchorage

Comments

Anchorage Transportation

Reviews and photos of Anchorage transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Anchorage sightseeing.