Top of the World Tundra Tours
For the average person the most practical, and least expensive, way to see Barrow is to take one of the tours offered through Alaska Airlines from either Anchorage or Fairbanks. Either a day tour or overnight tours are available.
Upon arrival in Barrow you will be greeted by your tour guide/driver who will take you on a bus, like the one shown, to see the sights of Barrow and environs. On your tour you may:
* See snowy owls, eider ducks and others of the 230 bird species who summer here.
* Touch the Arctic Ocean; walk on tundra and permafrost.
* Stand in a whale bone arch and inside the skeletal jaws of a bowhead whale.
* See the original village site mounds, which date back to 1,200 A.D.
* Experience and take part in traditional Inupiat dancing and see other demonstrations including a blanket toss.
* Have time on your own for lunch and shopping.
* And much more. To put all the components of this tour together on your own would be very difficult and the cost would be much higher.
Will Rogers - Wiley Post Memorial Airport
No roads led to Barrow. Water transportation is limited to a few weeks when the ice receeds on the Arctic Ocean during the short summer. Therefore, air is the only practical way for most people to reach Barrow. The airport is within easy walking distance of all three downtown hotels.
Alaska Airlines provides two flights daily to Barrow from Fairbanks, 450 air miles to the south. Flight time is about an hour and fifteen minutes by modern jet. Flights are occasionally cancelled by the Arctic weather, including dense fogs in summer.
The Will Rogers - Wiley Post Memorial Airport is named for both the famous humorist and the renowned aviator who crashed and were killed 11 miles west of Barrow in 1935. Many small airplanes connect Barrow with outlying villages on Alaska's North Slope.
I was also interested to learn that the airport in Barrow was manufactured in the deep south, Eufaula, Alabama, and shipped to Barrow where it was erected on site.
Alaskan Airline from Fairbank - Barrow - Ancourage.
i> Air Ticket from Fairbank - Barrow - Ancourage : US$ 680
ii> Air Ticket from Fairbank - Barrow - Ancourage + 1 night at Top of the World Hotel + Day trip around Barrow + free dinner + free breakfast + free mid night sun tan : US$ 585
WHY cheaper ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Cab, Walk or Tour Bus
There are many cab companies here in Barrow, but they are pretty costly. There are no longer any bus services. So you'll either have to rent a car which is about 100$/day or make reservations with one of the local tour buses (Top of The World Hotel/Northernmost Tours).
- Family Travel
- Business Travel
- Adventure Travel
Air travellers can fly to...
Air travellers can fly to Barrow from Anchorage via Fairbank. The ticket is expensive. It costs almost US$600 just for the flight. It is wise to take some of the package tour that include airfare and day tour.
It is really funny to see the...
It is really funny to see the bus driving around, empty of any passengers, driving right by you as you try to hail them down, as if they didn't see you. Yet Barrow does have taxis and if you are patient and have nerves of steel, it is possible to get around.
FLIGHT FROM FAIRBANKS TO BARROW
WE FLEW FROM FAIRBANKS TO BARROW, THE NORTHEST POINT OF USA BY ALASKAN AIR.EVRYTHING IS AIR-LIFTED TO BARROW. THE COST OF THINGS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE. EXAMPLE: GAL OF MILK IS USD$8
- Adventure Travel
- Save up to 60% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices