Bethel Warnings and Dangers

Can You See What Is On My Forehead?
    by AlbuqRay
    Strange Tundra Beast
    by AlbuqRay

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Bethel

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Watch Out for This Strange Tundra Beast

by AlbuqRay Updated Sep 3, 2007

Strange Tundra Beast

I managed to photograph this strange tundra beast. It may even be a new species. It looks like it could be dangerous. I think I saw it eating unripe cranberries. Anything that can do that must be tough.

• Eco-Tourism

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Be Ready for Mosquitoes

by AlbuqRay Updated Aug 21, 2007

Can You See What Is On My Forehead?

Alaska is known for its mosquitoes, so I was ready. I treated my clothes with permethrin before I went. I had repellent, a hat and a hooded raincoat to cover my neck. BTW, today's "hoodies" look a lot like the adikey(?) that Natives wear to protect themselves if they are not wearing a fancy no-see-ums jacket.

Okay, I go out by myself on the tundra near my friends' house to take a picture of the sunset. There are plenty of mosquitoes around but I seem to do okay with all my protection. I wanted a picture with me and the sunset, so I took one of those arms length pics. This is what I got! That is a giant mosquito on my forehead. It was so big, that it would have sucked me dry if it had bitten me. The good news was that it did not bite me. I guess my repellent actually did work. The bad news is all the teasing I get for not even knowing it was there and thinking I was safe.

For the record, sunset was at 10:34 PM on 15 Aug 07.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Bethel

Comments

Bethel Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Bethel warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bethel sightseeing.