Clam Gulch Travel Guide

Clam Gulch Things to Do

• tessharm's Profile Photo
    Rafting down the Glacier Fed Ninilchik River 4 more images

by tessharm Written Jun 10, 2008

Fishing, boating, rafting, hiking. The fun never stops when you hang out around Clam Gulch. We Summer there every year.

• Fishing
    • Horse Riding
    • Beaches

Clam Gulch Hotels

Clam Gulch Nightlife

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Luau on Clam Gulch

by herzog63 Written Jul 30, 2004

On July 17th there was an Authentic Hawaiian Luau held at the Clam Shell Lodge. We didn't have time to stay for it as we had an 8:00 P.M. baseball game to attend. But I'm sure it was a blast!! Other than that there isn't a whole lot of Nightlife in Clam Gulch. Of course an evening stroll down the beach to enjoy the sunset can't be beat!!

Clam Gulch Local Customs

• Boat contraption

I love to observe different fishing techiques wherever I travel. Even though Clam Gulch is only about 100 miles from where I live the style of fishing is different than it is in Kodiak. We don't have these strange looking boat trailers. But for the guys working the beaches of Cook Inlet they work out great. The back the trailer into the water with...

• Kayaking in Cook Inlet

There are a few places that give guided tours or you can rent Kayaks and go by yourself. Beware of the Tides and the weather!! But if you're a Kayaker you know this already. We watched a couple guys come in through the waves and it sure looked like fun.

• Etch your name in time

When you get to the beach look at the bluffs and you'll see the cliffs etched with names of visitors to the area. I'm sure the cliff is slippery after a good rain. And of course the cliffs aren't for everyone. But the kids that were with us were 13-14 years old and they love this sort of thing.To tell you the truth I don't know what kind of stone...

Clam Gulch Warnings and Dangers

• Spruce Bark Beetle

Here you see the dead trees from that invasion of some sort of Spruce Bark Beetle. The warning isn't really for humans ......just the poor trees....well, actually it does create a hazard for humans as whole areas of the forest end up dead and the trees are very dry so one spark from a camp fire could cause a forest fire!!

• Rough beach

Walking barefoot on the Clam Beach is hard on your feet at the waters edge. I don't walk barefoot much anymore.....not like I did when I was a kid. So a good pair of beach slippers might come in handy if you want to swim here or walk in the water. I'm such a wimp that I had to put my shoes back on! hahaha

• Clam Gulch Hotels

1 Hotels in Clam Gulch

3 Reviews and Opinions

Clam Gulch Off The Beaten Path

• Clam Gulch Parking and Camping

After we figured out that we couldn't park at the beach for free with our Rented Mini-vans due to soft sand we went back to the Parking/Camping area and asked if we could have a discount for parking as we were a visiting little league baseball team and would only be at Clam Gulch for a couple of hours.....the guy was very nice and didn't charge us...

• Small trails

CIam Gulch State Park is quite small in area so don't think there is much for hiking possibilities here but we managed to find a small trail. The park is bordered on both sides by private land. Most people just come here for Beach activities and the great views over Cook Inlet with Mount Redoubt being the highlight. Be careful if you're hiking near...

• Clam Gulch State Recreation Site

If you go to Clam Gulch State Recreation Site and want to walk to the beach don't drive all the way down to the beach unless you have a four wheel drive vehicle!!! The sand is very soft!! There is only a very small place to turn around at the bottom of the hill. So you will want to park your vehicle at the top of the hill and walk down. We found...

Clam Gulch Sports & Outdoors

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Kodiak Baseball Team

by herzog63 Written Jul 31, 2004

Here is our team taking a break at the beach. For other sports that are done in the area fishing, Clamming, Hiking, Kayaking, Hunting would be the most popular activities.

• National/State Park
    • Adventure Travel

Clam Gulch Favorites

• Local info

At the State Park in the parking area near the road as you go down to the beach you can see a sign board that has lot's of local information that is quite useful.

• Bald Eagles

If you would like to see Bald Eagles just search the bluffs and you can spot them. The only one that was close enough for me to photograph was this young eagle. He was down on the beach feeding on a huge King Salmon Carcass.

• Views of Mount Redoubt

On Clear days you can see Mount Redoubt which is a 10,197 foot high Volcano. In 1989 and 1990 it sent clouds of Ash into the sky and it disrupted many airline flights in and out of Anchorage. There was some haze on our visit so it wasn't so clear. You will have to enlarge my photo in order to see the volcano.

Instant Answers: Clam Gulch

Comments

Explore Deeper into Clam Gulch
Map of Clam Gulch