Fairbanks Shopping

Co-op Plaza on Second Avenued
    by Stephen-KarenConn
  • Checking out some X-mas decorates at Gottschalks
    Checking out some X-mas decorates at...
    by Scandic
    My moose keeps my head warm enough.
    by Scandic

Most Recent Shopping in Fairbanks

• Inner Knit Cafe: Poor service in Inner Knit Cafe at Fairbanks

by Widow Written Apr 5, 2011

We had a great visit to Fairbanks and found the Co-Op a nice little place full of interesting things. I would suggest a visit should you be in the area. I would however avoid a store called the Inner Knit Cafe. They sell yarns and wool and teach knitting etc. However the owner is a little un-helpfull and condercending to say the least. They offer on-line sales, but don't return calls or E-Mails at all. I did not really enjoy my visit to the store but still tried to purchase from them by phone. I did not get any replys at all. I think the owner thinks her goods are just too special to sell to some people.. Not a good experience at all. All our other contacts and shopping were fantastic and I would advise anyone to visit Fairbanks. Fairbanks is a wonderfull place!

• Music
    • Photography

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Co-op Plaza: A Little of Everything in One Place

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Co-op Plaza on Second Avenued

The best place I found to buy souvenirs in Fairbanks was the downtown Co-op Plaza. It is a delightful emporium of shops, boutiques and more including the New Co-op Diner.

The concrete building which houses the Co-op Plaza was built in 1927 as the Empress Theatre, and later became Co-op Drug and then Co-op Plaza.

What to buy: All kinds of Alaskana, local and regional crafts, gifts, souvenirs and sundries.

• Aurora907's Profile Photo

Fred Meyer: One-Stop shopping

by Aurora907 Written Jan 6, 2006

Save yourself some time by stopping at "Freddy's" for all of your food, clothing, and sporting needs. This is a good place to go for last minute fishing and camping gear, as well as your food and beverages.

What to buy: DOn't forget the mosquito repellant!

• Tanana Valley Farmers Market: Buy local produce

by AKteri Written Jan 5, 2006

The Tanana Valley farmers Market operates about May - September.
    Vendors offer local and organic produce as well as bakery, preserves and craft items.

Its definitely worth a stop especially at the new larger location on College Road

What to buy: One lady makes wonerful Eastern European style baked goods. I love the Almond cakes.
    Also don't pass up Basically Basil. she makes the best vinegars that are so palatable, you can drink them.

A good place to get some gifts of more personal quaility.

• fairbankschic's Profile Photo

The Knotty Shop: Alaskan Gift Shops

by fairbankschic Written Apr 13, 2004

Hand made gifts galore at this easy to find place. Owners are long time alaskans who are knowlegable and personable. Prices are average but gifts are very unique. Many items are made from Spruce Burl, an anamolie found in the Northwest. A must see for the shopper if you're going along the Old Rich Highway(which I'd reccomend in general for outdoorsy people). Just past North Pole on the way to Salcha on the right if coming from Fairbanks.

Beavers Sport: Sport equipments and clothes

by Scandic Written Jan 18, 2004

Beaver's Sport is a big sports equipment store near UAF. It is good and quality of goods is excellent, but prices...Uh...You'll cru when you check out the prices of warm and nice winter gears. That is why it is easier to order stuff from Internet, definetely yeah.

Beaver's doesn't offer sales regularly, butI manage to find my water-proof running shoes from there with reasonable price.

What to buy: You might want to check around here, but maybe it is not a good idea to buy anything if you are travelling with low budget.

What to pay: Warm hats start from 20 bucks.

For example from Fred Meyer's: Chemical Hand Warmers

by Scandic Written Jan 18, 2004
    My moose keeps my head warm enough.

You may find out that gloves are enough in cold Fairbanks winter, so good tip is wear chemical hand warmers. Yes, I knwo when I first time heard about thses, I was like, what a heck, I'm from Finland I can tolareta anykind of wetaher. But why bother? These chemical hand warmers are such a wonderful thing! Juts add each of to your socks or gloves and feel the warmness!!! Lovely.

What to buy: Warmers are pretty cheap too, you get on epair at one dollar, so enjoy the winter with these small miracles.

Gottschalks: My favourite place

by Scandic Updated Dec 17, 2003

Checking out some X-mas decorates at Gottschalks

There is no good shopping places at Fairbanks, which is just a good thing, but Gottschalks is not bad at all. There is lots of clothes and prices are very reasonable ones.

What to buy: I like to buy Ck clothes or Tommy Hilfiger as well as underwear and jeans from here. It is best place to find everything you need and spend your money.

What to pay: My casual Hilfiger jeans were 38 $

Instant Answers: Fairbanks

Comments

Fairbanks Shopping

Reviews and photos of Fairbanks shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fairbanks sightseeing.