Haines Restaurants

Lunch time on the bakery's patio
    by Jefie
  • Selection of pizzas and pastries (there's more!)
    Selection of pizzas and pastries...
    Mountain Market & Cafe in Haines, Alaska

Most Recent Restaurants in Haines

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Village Bakery: Get your sourdough bread and much, much more!

by Jefie Updated Jul 1, 2013

There aren't too many options when it comes to eating out in Haines Junction. Our friends asked us to choose between Frosty Freeze, a burger joint they really like, or the Village Bakery, and I'm soooo glad we chose the latter! Of course the bakery sells delcious homemade bread, including the traditional sourdough bread, and an amazing selection of pastries, cakes and pies. But there's also a deli section from which you can order sandwiches, pizzas, meat & veggie pies, quiches, salads and so on. If you add a delicious bowl of homemade soup and a cup of freshly brewed coffee, you've got yourself a full meal at a pretty reasonable price. You can order it to go if you're anxious to hit the road again, or you can eat it out on the patio while you admire the majestic scenery offered by the St. Elias Mountains.

Favorite Dish: The soup of the day was a curry lentils soup, served with a sourdough bun - it was very good and quite filling, perfect before going on a hike!

Lunch time on the bakery's patio Selection of pizzas and pastries (there's more!)

Sarah J's: Decent place for breakfast

by Jefie Written Jun 29, 2013

This tiny coffeehouse is located in the historic Fort Seward area. They offer an interesting selection of breakfast wraps and sandwiches, along with homemade bagels, muffins, smoothies and great coffee. There's some room to eat but space is very limited. Staff was nice and friendly, but a little mixed up - they probably could have used a shot of their own espresso that morning!

Sarah J's coffee shoppe in Haines, Alaska

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Mountain Market & Cafe: Good place to pack a lunch!

by Jefie Written Jun 29, 2013

This little grocery store specializes in organic food and local products (including wine, beer and spirits). It also includes a deli section, which has a nice selection of sandwiches, salads, soup, and coffee. There's a small cafe on the spot, so eating there is an option, but you can also order your meal to go, which is what we did. If you're taking the midday ferry to Skagway like we did, stopping by Mountain Market to buy a delicious, healthy lunch that you can later eat on the ferry is a great option!

Mountain Market & Cafe in Haines, Alaska

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

33 Mile Road House: Reports of Cinnamon Rolls

by CdnJane Written Nov 5, 2012

Had read that their cinnamon/sticky buns were supposed to be amazing. They were fresh, they were big, we inhaled them it seemed, but I wouldn't say they were the best I'd ever had. We did try both the plain and pecan buns, and they were equally good... just not great. Maybe if they'd been heated a bit.
    The restaurant is located in a place to get traffic - that's the only place to stop in miles. Found the owner friendly but somewhat overworked.

33 Mile Roadhouse With pecans and plain cinnamon rolls Those were big cinnamon rolls
    • Motorcycle

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

The Bamboo Room Restaurant and Pioneer Bar: The Bamboo Room Restaurant and Pioneer Bar

by jamiesno Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Bamboo Rom is a family owned business for over 40 years now, it was named for the bamboo curtain that used to separate the restaurant from the bar.

The pricing at the Bamboo room was good and the quality of food was very good. You will also see lots of local people with local knowledge.

The bar is in the same building and has big screen televisions if you are interested in watching sporting events.

Favorite Dish: Club Benedict Breakfast

The Bamboo Room
    • Adventure Travel
    • Fishing
    • Sailing and Boating

The Bamboo Room: A Bamboo Breakfast

by Colewade Updated Apr 4, 2011

This historic diner shares half it's building with the Pioneer Bar. In fact, the smoking section is the Pionner Bar. The old black and white photos of the diner's early years are a scream. I read somewhere that this was Charles Kuralt' s favororite Haine's watering hole. I enjoyed an excellent breakfast here. It was a pretty standard breakfats menu, but the portions were quite generous. They are busy most mornings. I f had it to to do over again I would also try the Bamboo Room for lunch or dinner.

Favorite Dish: The huge breakfast combinations. You may not even need lunch after one of these combinations. For lunch they are famous for their halibut fish and chips. Other items include: expresso, milkshakes, homemade soups, garden burgers, popcorn shrimp, teriyaki chicken salad, and dinosaur fries.

Logo from menu

Hotel Halsingland: Best Dinner House in Haines

by RickinDutch Written Oct 26, 2005

We ate two dinners here and were very impressed. The food was excellent and the wine list deep and broad. I had steak both nights and Aimee had linguini cabanera one night and a chicken caeser salad the next. Very well prepared.
    Nice casually elegant atmosphere with brilliant views of Lynn Canal.

Lighthouse Restaurant & Harbor Bar: Right on the water

by RickinDutch Written Oct 26, 2005

Located right on the water with great views of Lynn Canal and the Small Boat Harbor, we stopped here for a lite lunch after a long walk up to the camp ground and back. Looked fairly new, but the food was great and service personable and friendly.
    We had the place to ourselves at 2 in the afternoon, which was good since our grandson was unusually rambunctious. He settled down as soon as his fish and chips came.

Waitress said they were open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Harbor Bar was doing a brisk business for 2PM on a weekday.

Mountain Market: Great Natural Foods

by RickinDutch Written Oct 26, 2005

A short walk from our Hotel, we discovered this small coffee/natural foods/bakery shop our last day in Haines. With only 7-8 small tables, this place was packed with locals starting their morning. Highly recommend this spot for any meal.

The Bamboo Room Restaurant & Pioneer Bar: Great Breakfasts

by RickinDutch Updated Oct 26, 2005

Kept coming back to the Bamboo Room for breakfast. Large servings at good price. Lots of locals (always a good sign) just being themselves (and nice to the tourists).
    The bar is right next door - large & popular.

Favorite Dish: Omelettes were great.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

The Lighthouse Restaurant: The Lighthouse Restaurant

by jamiesno Written May 31, 2004

The service at this restaurant is good and has the best view in the community. On a nice evening it is a great place to eat and enjoy the view.

Favorite Dish: I ate the steak sandwich but if you are in a fishing village like this I was suggest if I had my time back I would have tried the fresh halibut or salmon!

Lighthouse Restaurant & Harbor Bar
    • Fishing
    • Water Sports
    • Sailing and Boating

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

Grizzly Gregg's: Bring Your Own Ketchup Packets

by mcpangie Updated Dec 22, 2003

On the corner is Grizzly Gregg's where I ate a expensive lunch that I wasn't at all impressed with. The ketchup bottle reminded me that flu season was upon us because it was greasy and refilled without being washed so often it was disgusting, so even though I'd had a flu shot I gave up on the idea of eating my French fries. So all I got for over $16 was 3 pieces of fried halibut an a cup of rubbery clam chowder. Since this isn't that favorable, I want to at least say that the locals seem to like the place and I haven't heard of anyone in Haines dying from eating there and I've lived in Alaska all of my life until now. I'm just picky when it comes to "double dipping" with people I don't want to share food with and I am a firm believer that restaurants should offer patrons ketchup packets. The upper loft had video games that the children in town seemed to enjoy.

Favorite Dish: The halibut was good. Just cost a lot considering I wasn't happy with the meal. I've spent less in Craig, Alaska and people said that is expensive.

Downtown Haines, Alaska

33 Mile Road House: Alaska's Best Burgers with one it's Best Drives

by Colewade Updated Sep 25, 2003

This real log cabin is located exactly where it's name suggest: at the 33 mile marker on the Haines Highway. It is the last place to buy gas before gas before entering a stretch of wilderness so vast that few of us have any concept of in the lower 48. I enjoyed a great cup of coffee and a good conversation with the locals who run the place. The burgers looked delicious and were completely homemade. The homemade pies also looked awesome. I am almost sorry that I wasn't hungry. One other customer swore that the "Best Burger" motto is the absolute truth.

Favorite Dish: hamburgers, homemade pies, and cakes.

33 Mile Roadhouse

• Colewade's Profile Photo

The Lighthouse Restaurant: The Lighthouse: Waterfront View with Dinner.

by Colewade Updated Sep 22, 2003

Seafood with a great view is the specialty here. The view of the small boat harbor is quite nice and the service was above average. I had the Captain's platter for dinner which included very large portions of fried seafood. I thought it a safe bet, but on the whole it turned out average. Generally, I enjoy good fried seafood , but the salmon on the platter came fried as well. IMHO the only way salmon should be fried is in croquets served with biscuits and syrup. The portions were large. They are quick to point out that you only get one trip to the salad bar with your meal. The salad bar was very tiny, but did offer some unusual items such as a cold curry carrot salad and green jello with nuts on top. One trip was enough. The brown carpet and other fixtures appeared rather tired, but were probably as clean as they could get them.

Favorite Dish: Seafood rules the menu though there are other items.

The prices were on par with the Wild Strawberry and Hasingland. The quality was not.

The Wild Stawberry: Wild About Wild Strawberry

by Colewade Updated Sep 22, 2003

This gourmet restaurant is located in a new building with the main dining room upstairs affording views of the Lynn Canal and the boat harbor which are located about 1/4 mile away. The menu is very creative and the food is excellent judging by the crowds that gathered while I was there. The salmon was caught by one of the staff's husband the day before. The menu seems runs the gamut with a concentration on fresh seafood, chicken dishes, as well as a few pastas. The homemade desert itmes and locally roasted coffee are a real plus.

Favorite Dish: We had a halibut taco salad for lunch. Before you gross out completley imagine this: very fresh grilled halibut over a bed of fresh wild greens, served in a fried corn shell bowl, and topped with a creamy chili spiced avacado dressing. The best taco salad I have ever had. It is the best place in Haines to get good coffee. They roast their own beans. The bakery items are also awesome.

Instant Answers: Haines

Comments

Haines Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Haines restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Haines sightseeing.