Healy Things to Do

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Mt McKinley in summer

by herzog63 Written Nov 19, 2003

Mt McKinley

Most people visit the Healy area in the summer to go the Denali National Park to check out the fantastic wildlife, go hiking and hope to get views of Mt McKinley (North Americas Highest Peak at 20,320 ft) We didn't see Mt McKinley from Healy as it was totally dark out when we arrived. And in the morning the clouds had rolled in when we got up in the morning.
    You can see Mt McKinley through the clouds in the photo...I actually took this photo about 115 miles from Healy when the clouds broke for us and allowed us to see the mountain. It had been cloudy and grey for the past 75 miles. So it was a real treat to have the clouds break and actually get to see the mountain and then enjoy the sunset a short time later. Not everyone that visits the area gets to see the mountain. In the photo you can't see the peak very well. We had stopped and watched the clouds move around and gave us different views but the Peak didn't show up until we started back driving down the road and I was too lazy to stop and take more photos!! hahaha

• National/State Park

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Get up early to catch a sunrise

by herzog63 Updated Nov 22, 2003

First light in Healy

It really depends on what time of year that you visit Healy but in October you wouldn't have to get up real early to catch the sunrise....It just seemed early to me as I had gone to bed around 5 am after watching the Northern Lights all night....so sunrise came quite quick for me!! hahaha My wife thinks I'm crazy...stay up all night to watch the Northern Lights then up at the crack of first light...but I didn't want to miss these two great times of day!!

• RELAX!!!!

by birdmanimal Written Nov 10, 2007

There's not a whole lot to do in Healy, which is really a part of its charm. It's far enough North from Denali Park to keep crowds and prices down, but still only minutes away. It's a great place to relax and unwind. Have a drink at the Totem Lounge, a home-cooked meal at Rose's Cafe. Drive or hike Stampede Road and see the beauty that Chris McCandless saw as he left Healy for his final trip "Into the Wilds." Go there now....McCandless' story as told in the film "Into the Wild" is going to turn this place into a "destination," and probably not for the better.

• National/State Park

• madmax79's Profile Photo

Denali Outdoor Center

by madmax79 Written Jul 24, 2012

Denali Outdoor Center offers a variety of activities. We chose to do the Canyon White Water Raafting tour. Our guide (nickname: Chicago) was great and went above and beyond our expectations.

Rafters are suited up in a dry suit to protect them from the cold (36 degree water). With a couple layers of clothing underneath, the cold wasn't too bad, even for a Florida Boy.

The Canyon has great views and nice whitewater. A very fun experience overall!

• Rafting

Instant Answers: Healy

Comments

Healy Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Healy things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Healy sightseeing.