Homer Restaurants

by AlbuqRay

Best Rated Restaurants in Homer

Captain Pattie's Fish House: Eat Your Own Catch

Captain Pattie's

Captain Pattie's is where we ate our dinner. If you come to Alaska, you must try the fresh seafood, and at Captain Pattie's you can even eat your own catch! Just bring in your fish (filleted) and they will prepare it (deep fried, charbroiled, or baked) your fish is served with vegetables, rice or fries.

We didn't fish so we ordered off the menu.

The tables are covered with nautical charts, so you won't get lost during your meal.

Captain Pattie's has a comfortable feel, you needn't dress up.

Favorite Dish: There are so many good things on the menu at Captain Pattie's including frsh Halibut, fresh Salmon, King Crab, Alaskan Scallops, Jumbo Prawns, and don't forget the clam chowder.

A wine is suggested for each entree, so if you are not familier with what kind of wine goes with what, life is simple.

Duncan House Diner: Local Charm

Duncan House Diner

The Duncan House Diner is my choice for breakfast in Homer. It is located in town on Pioneer Ave, and has a sign that says "Time to Eat" in front.

It is sort of a thrift shop of diners. That sounds wierd! The cups don't match, the napkins are well used and washed maybe a thousand times, the decorations are collectable, and you just don't know what you will find.

Favorite Dish: I usually go to Duncans for breakfast.
    Sourdough pancakes, reindeer sausage, or whatever you like to have for the first meal of the day.

Boardwalk Fish and Chips: Fish and Chips

by kaloz Written Jan 19, 2004

Fish & Chips

"Where the Fish comes on a Stick" Well if that isn't a recommendation, I don't know what is.

We were only in Homer for an evening, and didn't sample the fare at this place, so I can't tell you how good it is. But how do you screw up fish and chips?

Favorite Dish: Fish on a Stick. with chips.

Even though we didn't eat here, it smelled wonderful.

The shops are built on piers as this is a tidal area. It is very picturesque, but you will have to get out of your car and walk.

• Cruise

Finn's Pizza: Wood Fired Pizza

by kaloz Written Jan 19, 2004

Finn's Pizza

I am not exactly sure how a wood fired pizza would taste, but Alaskans like to smoke things, it is a regional custom. So this might be worth trying, we just didn't have time to sample the wares at all the places.

Favorite Dish: Smoked Pizza! A wood stove doesn't mean that the smokey flavor will go into the food, so it probably tastes like pizza you are used to. If you are travelling with children, they will eat pizza, they may not eat the stuff we think is yummy, like halibut.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Cafe Cups: Typical funky Homer eatery

by karenincalifornia Updated Aug 9, 2005

Cafe Cups, Homer, AK

The owners of Tutka Bay Wilderness Lodge recommended Cafe Cups to us as a great place for lunch in Homer. As soon as I saw the huge plaster teacups hanging from the rafters outside the front door and the gawdy mosaics and teacup basreliefs, I knew I was gonna love this place.

Favorite Dish: The caesar salad and seafood are all delicious. They also served creative sandwiches and wonderful desserts.

• wildgreen's Profile Photo

Duggans' Galley in Duggans' Irish Pub: Great Pub Grub!

by wildgreen Updated Nov 18, 2002

Duggans Galley is a great little cafe inside a great Irish Pub. Local and imported live music Friday and Saturday nights and many other nights as well. Located on the Waterfront in Homer the view is awesome! Great place for visitors and locals alike. Pool tables and dart boards make for a pleasant evening. Duggans' Galley offers appetizers from fries to Rocky Mountain Oysters to Calimari and Fresh Local Halibut. Sandwiches and a dinner menu including steaks and seafood as well make it a great place! Breakfast served only on Sunday morning for football untill 2:00 pm.

Favorite Dish: The cheesesteak Hoagie made with fresh Duggans' roasted beef on a fresh baked hoagie served with golden fries or salad makes a great meal- very filling and delicious!

• jumpingwithnorman's Profile Photo

The Chart Room Restaurant: Great view from Land's End on Homer's Spit

by jumpingwithnorman Updated May 12, 2009

This is located right by Land's End and they've come up with their Alaskan version of sophisticated dining. This is NOT rough dining at all but tablecloths & napkins are de rigeur. Due to the recent volcanic activity from Mt Redoubt, a sign was posted on the door of the restaurant asking that patrons make sure the door was closed to prevent Volcanic Ash from entering the building. In early May, the sign was still up even though there was no evidence of ash drifting from the volcano.

El Pescador Bar and Grill: Not to our liking

Not our kind of place

So many choices of where to eat. We decided to try El Pescador. We went in, the place was nearly empty, not a good sign. It was well lit and clean. We were seated well in the back, and then ignored for a long time.

We decided that the place just wasn't for us, so we took our leave.

We went to Captain Pattie's instead, and had a wonderful time.

Favorite Dish: We didn't stay to taste the fare, the service was awful, and we just didn't like it.

If you go there, I hope you have better luck.

• fishtaco's Profile Photo

The Saltry: worth the ride

by fishtaco Written Sep 10, 2007

You have to take a boat to Halibut Cove--about 8 miles or 35 minutes to get to the Saltry. it was well worth it. The only drawback is they kinda mislead you when they say you can stroll through the art galleries when you are done. There are a total of TWO. You get a hour and a half at the restaraunt and then an hour and a half to stroll till the boat picks you up again.

Favorite Dish: I got the halibut and you just know it was fresh

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Captain Pattie's Fish House: Worth the Wait

by AlbuqRay Updated Nov 25, 2007

Entrance

I had seen a good review of Captain Pattie's Fish House on VT and wanted to try it. It is located just to the right of the Central Charter office on Spit Road. I went around 7 PM and had to wait ~20 minutes to get in; however, I got a table by the windows and the view of Tutka Bay was great. I even saw a sea otter swim by on its back.

Favorite Dish: I ordered Pattie's Baked Halibut ($24) and the clam chowder ($4). The chowder was actually only $1.00 since I substituted it for the salad that came with the dinner. Both the halibut and the chowder were quite good.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Duncan House Diner: Try the Hearty Homesteader Oatmeal

by AlbuqRay Updated Oct 14, 2007

Look for the Totem Pole

The Duncan House Diner was recommended on VT. I tried it the second morning I was in Homer. It was the windy day when all the charters got cancelled. They were very busy (lots of boat captains there) and understaffed, so the service was slow; however, a couple more servers arrived before I left and it got better. I thought I was going to Seldovia on M/V Discovery and I wanted to eat light to prepare for the rough seas.

Favorite Dish: I decided to get the Hearty Homesteader oatmeal ($8). It was one of the best I have ever had, but it was not so light since it had blueberries, cranberries, raisins and nuts with brown sugar, half-and-half, and wheat toast on the side. LOL, I ate it anyway and it was delicious. It turned out to be a good decision since the boat was cancelled.

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo

Happy Face Restaurant: Happy Face Restaurant

by worldtrekker Written Sep 7, 2002

Small place with some covered seating outside. The food quality is excellent although I only ate a burrito. Very filling! This isn't a fish and chip type place, but more for the health conscious.

Favorite Dish: The fat burritos!

• wildgreen's Profile Photo

Duncan House: Duncan House

by wildgreen Written Sep 5, 2002

Duncan House sits in downtown Homer with a view of Kachemak Bay. It is filled with antiques. It is great fun to wander through the restraunt and look at the antiques and photos of patrons taken through the years. Every table has a game to play and it is a very homey local restraunt. It is average priced and affordable. Somewherebetween Mcdonalds and the $25.00 per plate seafood places.

Favorite Dish: Chicken fried Steak or Steak.

• Fat Olives: Watch out for Sharon Osbourne look-alike

by vengeful_customer Written Aug 16, 2008

After three other groups were seated in front of us that came AFTER us, I went into check what was going on. The owner/hostess didn't even let me say anything and told me our table was ready. After sitting down (and let me remind you that I never once said anything to her) she slapped the menus down in front of us, and turned to me and sarcastically asked if I would like to do her job. She continued on that I "obviously would do a better job than her". This all happened, I am assuming, because I came in to ask why we had been passed up three times! I was in complete disbelief that I was being approached like that. Both my girlfriend and I started saying that we could not believe how rude she was, etc. She said we could get out of her restaurant ... WHAT!?!?! We walked out and made sure that others knew of the treatment we had received on our way out. We also let her know that we would make every attempt to let others know about the horrible service.

Adding insult to injury, she followed me out to the car. She then completely changed her tone and apologized. She said that the family that had been seated in front of us had a diabetic child and they needed to be seated before us! Are you f?#!ing kidding me? I pulled the insulin pen out of my pocket and waved it in her face. I hope she felt like an idiot!

I could go on and on about the specific details of the encounter, but I won't. Just know that the owner of this restaurant is an evil person, and is not deserving of your money.

Never underestimate the power of a vengeful customer, Lisa!

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Finn's Pizza: Awesome Thin Crust

by HasTowelWillTravel Written Dec 17, 2008
    Yummy!

Located on the Spit, Finn's Pizza is a must-stop. They whip up fresh, hot thin-crust pizzas using natural ingredients, and the pizzas are made fresh multiple times a day. They use a wood-fired oven to make sure the pizza is crisp and hot. You can just grab a slice, or order one of their pies to be made on the spot (takes about 20 minutes). There are a selection of bottled sodas to choose from.

Favorite Dish: Plain ole cheese pizza. It is hot and delicious. Baked super thin on a wood oven so it is crispy like a cracker, this is terrific with a ginger ale.

Instant Answers: Homer

Comments

Homer Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Homer restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Homer sightseeing.