Juneau Local Customs

Juneau Parking and Public Library.
    by shrimp56
    Juneau's Electric Building
    by peach93
    Another Downtown Building
    by peach93

Best Rated Local Customs in Juneau

• Trash Cans

by peach93 Written Sep 22, 2006

Juneau's public trash cans, those on the sidewalks for people to use, are all bear proof. Bear proof means that they are designed so that bears can't get into them and therefore will not come into town trying to get food from them. However, I found that these trash cans are also human proof. They have a handle that you have to push in and then lift up somehow. I stood on the sidewalk looking like an ass for five minutes trying to throw out a gum wrapper. After that I just kept my trash in my pocket and threw it out once I got inside someplace. I wish I had gotten a picture of one of these, but I didn't. Good luck!

• Art Deco Architecture

by peach93 Written Sep 22, 2006

Juneau's Electric Building

Much of Juneau was built in the early 20th Century when art deco-style architecture was in vouge. This is my favorite architectural style, so I found myself taking lots of pictures of buildings. The electric company's office was great as were a few other places. It's funny though because even though art deco is very "modern-looking" in places like Reykjavik and the Hoover Dam, in Juneau it looks sort of "frontier". It could just be the mountainous background, but I thought it was neat.

• Architecture

• KodiakKristine's Profile Photo

Fishing Charter Boat Operations

by KodiakKristine Updated Jun 1, 2008

My son, and many of his friends, have crewed for Juneau fishing charter operators. Beware of the sign on the boat that says "A whale can tip this boat, but only YOU can tip the crew!" A little known fact is that many captains actually make the crew SPLIT the tip money with them! Always carry a couple of $20 bills that you can personally palm off to the crew, if you feel they've done a good job cleaning your fish, etc. (And try not to let the captain see you!)

• Fishing

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Parking Garage and Public Library

by shrimp56 Updated May 29, 2013

Juneau Parking and Public Library.

What a brilliant idea to blend a money maker with a civic service. The library is on top of the garage. The metal sculpture is either a Haida or Tlingt design. This is the downtown branch of the Juneau Public Library.

• AGHIOS's Profile Photo

LOTS OF INDIAN HISTORY, YOU'LL...

by AGHIOS Written Aug 26, 2002

LOTS OF INDIAN HISTORY, YOU'LL SEE LOADS OF TOTEM POLES EVERYWHWERE, NO LITTER ANYWHERE. TAKE YOUR GOLD PAN WITH YOU!APPARENTLY THERE IS MORE WOMEN THAN MEN IN ALASKA(CAN'T SAY THAT I NOTICED THIS)MIND YOU SOME OF THE WOMEN ARE A BIT SUSPECT SPORTING BEER BELLIES AND BEARDS, SO I COULD BE MISTAKEN!

Another red dog pic.

• Alaskarain's Profile Photo

Tlingit art is some of the...

by Alaskarain Written Aug 26, 2002

Tlingit art is some of the most beautiful in the world. It mostly represents local Southeast Alaskan wildlife: the Raven, the Bear, the Salmon. But make sure to buy Made in Alaska things - many downtown shops have fake Tlingit art carved by machine in China.

• globetrott's Profile Photo

...down on earth we could see...

by globetrott Updated Apr 21, 2003

down on earth we could see a village consisting only of mobile-homes of workers who come here only for some weeks to work.

Instant Answers: Juneau

Comments

Juneau Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Juneau local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Juneau sightseeing.