Juneau Restaurants

Salmon on the grill
    by grandmaR

Best Rated Restaurants in Juneau

• starship's Profile Photo

The Alaskan Hotel and BAR!: Vestige of the Gold Rush Days!

by starship Updated Jun 9, 2008

Inside Alaskan Hotel Bar

I can't say that the Alaskan Hotel & Bar is actually a place that you would go for a good meal. Rather it is an atmospheric place with a beautiful, old wooden bar that serves light fare and has reasonably priced beer! Stained-glass lamps hang over the bar. Take a seat at one of the the wooden tables or the bar itself. Live music is a great addition when in session. Service is friendly.

If you stay long enough, you may just have the opportunity to see one of the legendary ghosts of the hotel coming down the steps of the back balcony.

I liked this place alot more than the "Red Dog Saloon." The Alaskan Hotel & Bar had a more genuinely historic feel to it and people weren't pushy.

Favorite Dish: The Alaskan Hotel Bar is better know for its been then its food. Reviews I've read rate the variety of beers offered as very good, but I would suggest eating at one of the other restaurants around town unless you're trying to stave off drunkeness!!

Twisted Fish: Top Rated Seafood & Wine

by RickinDutch Written Mar 14, 2006

Located just at the base of the Mt. Robert's Tramway at the water's edge is one of my favorite Juneau restaurants. Noted for their seafood and wine, they also serve pasta, burgers, salads and pizzas. There are always 30 wines to choose by the glass and 5 beers on tap. Large, open and airy and decorated in what the owner told me was nuveau Italian? Lots of cedar and woodwork, a large fireplace and an outdoor area for those rare sunny days in Juneau.

Open 11AM to 10PM, April thru October. The Twisted fish is so popular with locals that they'll brave to cruise crowds in the summer to come down for dinner. The owners are so happy with their success they are thinking of staying open year round.

My only complaint would be the noise level - hard to carry on a normal conversation when it's packed (and it's packed most times).

Favorite Dish: Red salmon on a cedar plank. Wow!

Doc Water's Pub & Restaurant: Dining Outdoors

by RickinDutch Updated Nov 28, 2006

Doc Water's

A hard place to write a review of - one time the food is fantastic and another it was really bad. Been three times now - 2 great meals and one poor one.
    A great place on a sunny day as it is one of the few restaurants in Juneau you can eat outdoors. Located right next to the cruise ship docks, you can people watch, soak up the sun and eat some great food.
    A full bar and friendly service, the bar area has sports on TV full time. Gets smokey but there is a quiet (smokefree) room off to the side or you can go outside in the summer.

Favorite Dish: Twice roasted pork chops with apple chutney.

Hanger on the Wharf: Best Water View & Best Beer

by RickinDutch Updated Mar 15, 2006

The Hanger at Lunch

One of my favorite places for lunch or dinner is The Hanger. It is on a historic seaplane wharf right over the water with large view windows. Look out over Gastineau Channel and Douglas Island across the way. Watch the cruise ships, tugs and small fishing boats come and go. The kind of place you want to linger after a meal. The food is good (great at times), lively atmosphere and busy with locals, legislators, and tourists intermingled. Some of the best serving staff in the capital.

A decent sized bar area with live acoutical music most nights. Four pool tables upstairs. A friend was telling me the last time I was in here that it is the most popular hangout for 25 to 45 year old crowd. As I looked around I saw he was right. Their beer selection is huge - over a 100 varieties with at least 20 on tap.

Located inside the baby blue painted Marine Way Mall it is easy to find. Reservations are a good idea.

Favorite Dish: I haven't had a bad meal here. My two most favorite meals are the halibut tacos and the Jambalaya. Crab cakes are great as well. Getting hungry just writing this! And to drink - Alaskan Smokey Porter!

• Beer Tasting

• Colewade's Profile Photo

Fernando's Mexican Restaurant: Fernando's Mexican Restaurant

by Colewade Written Oct 10, 2003

Building Next Door to Fernando's

This is rated Juneau's best Mexican restaurant at Dine-site.com. It was awfully good. The food had a clean freshly prepared quality. There were a few more unusual items on the menu such as the tortilla con queso chowder. Nice beer selection. When they bring you the two salsas for your chips, beware of that course hot blend. I like hot, and this was hotter than habanero!

Favorite Dish: Combinations were well prepared. Tortilla corn chowder was especially tasty.

• Colewade's Profile Photo

Chans Thai Kitchen: Chans Thai Kitchen

by Colewade Written Oct 10, 2003

The restaurant is in a weathered gray building directly across the road from the beautiful Auke Bay Boat Harbor. The decor is that of a 1970's diner with thin, wood grained paneling, and a "Touch of Thai" on the walls. It's the kind of place where the pantry spills out into the cash register area.

People don't come to Chans Thai Kitchen for the nice view or the ambience. The food keeps them coming. The halibut red curry was only $9.95. It was the daily special. Nicely spiced. I will eat here on my next visit to Juneau.

Favorite Dish: Red Curry with Halibut
    This spicy coconut milk concoction was served with fresh halibut and vegetables, and a large side of jasmine rice. I was stuffed!

Red Dog Saloon: Around the Cruise Ship Docks

by grandmaR Written Jun 5, 2011

Red Dog from the bus

Everyone who comes to Juneau seems to know this place. Our tour guide/driver pointed it out to us. The Red Dog has been recognized by the Alaska Legislature for being the oldest man-made tourist attraction in Juneau. For a time, "Ragtime Hattie" played the piano in white gloves and a silver dollar halter top. Later, in territorial days, the owners would often meet the tour boats at the docks with a mule that wore a sign saying, "follow my ass to the Red Dog Saloon." So it is historic.

At least the original one is. The original Red Dog Saloon was located next to the Juneau Cold Storage and the Coca-Cola bottling operations. In 1951 the Red Dog sat on the west side of the street and not on the corner. This one was probably built here for the cruise ship trade.

Favorite Dish: But we didn't eat here.

• The Mesa Grill: Local Food

by peach93 Written Sep 22, 2006

The Mesa Grill

In spite of its name, the Mesa Grill is not just Mexican. It is also a fish and chips place located downtown. It's cheap and its yummy. It's also pretty much located in a shack which is next to a giant, gaping hole in the ground where its new building will soon be built, but don't let that deter you! It's a great place for lunch.

Favorite Dish: Their specialty: Halibut and fries.

Garden Cafe: In Juneau Gardens

by grandmaR Written Jun 5, 2011

Canned chili in a paper cup from the microwave

We were on the Grand Tour of Juneau. But they weren't going to feed us on this tour and went way past lunchtime.

The Cafe in the gift shop had hot and cold beverages, cookies and various snacks.

Favorite Dish: So when we got to the visitor's center, Bob got chili, which proved to be out of a can and heated in a microwave for $4.25. He shared

If I had read the menu (photo 4) carefully, I would have opted for a hot dog ($3.25)

The place we ate was full of flowers (photo 2) and sometimes people book weddings in the gardens - even cruise ship weddings.

• Eco-Tourism

McDonalds: Even Here

by grandmaR Updated Jun 5, 2011

McDonalds from the bus

Tour guides in every city seem to want to show us that even in Alaska, they have things like Wal-Mart. And McDonalds. There were always stories about McDonalds.

Actually Juneau has two McDonalds. One at 130 Front Street and this one on Trout Street.

They both have wireless internet, but the Trout Street one has a Play Place and a Drive Through.

• Elli99fh's Profile Photo

The Breakwater: Great Food

by Elli99fh Written Jul 26, 2004

The Breakwater

We had dinner here one evening as well as breakfast another day. I enjoyed the food both times. I am normally not very picky about food, but I was pretty unimpressed by most of the restaurants we tried in the Juneau area. I would definitely go back to the Breakwater, though. The food was great, as was the service. Next time we go to Juneau I will try some of the other places recommended on VT!

Favorite Dish: I had salmon, and Jeff had steak. We both really enjoyed the food. The breakfasts we had a couple days later were also delicious.

• ajhillery's Profile Photo

El Sombrero: Best Mexican Ever!

by ajhillery Written Nov 11, 2007

On the main strip in downtown Juneau is a little, locally owned resteraunt, El Sombrero. The service is great, they treat you just like family! The food is awesome. I've not had better Mexican food, ever. We look forward to going back year after year.

Olivia's de Mexico: Authentic Mexican

by RickinDutch Written Jun 26, 2006

Down in the basement of a historical office building right downtown, Olivia's always seems busy at lunch. But they find you a spot fairly quickly. During cruise season, most of the ship's Mexican crewmembers come here, walking past several other closer mexican places in the process. I have always enjoyed the food and good service.

Favorite Dish: Posole - a meat and hominy stew - mmmmm!

• junogirl's Profile Photo

The Hangar: Heritage Building, Killer View & Great Food

by junogirl Written Oct 10, 2006

I moved to Juneau six weeks ago (from Australia) and have been to quite a few restaurants around town, but keep coming back to The Hangar because I love eating overlooking the water and the food is just so good. There's different menus for lunch and dinner ... you can expect to find stock standards like burgers and steaks, but they also features lots of seafood (tonight I had a yummy seafood lasagne). The building (named the Wharf) used to house the float planes (hence the restaurant's name) and so it's interesting from that point of view as well. The food is fresh, the place is clean, the service is efficient and friendly and it just has a great atmosphere. I would say the Hangar is great value for money ... you can eat for less in town, but if you compare quality with quality, then you can't go wrong here. Oh yeah, there's some pool tables upstairs (smoking area) and also a bar area at one end as well.

Favorite Dish: I love the Jambalaya ... available in lunch and dinner sizes.

• Adventure Travel
    • Skiing and Boarding

• squidly2's Profile Photo

Best seafood I've ever had...: Another vote for the Twisted Fish!

by squidly2 Written Apr 27, 2006

I think this is my favorite restaurant of all time. It's not too fancy to come in your hiking clothes. There's a woodsy feel, but it's very open and light. It's near the water.
    Now for the food: Phenominal! We ate 3 meals here, over a weekend stay. They serve Alaskan Amber which became my favorite beer (and our waitress even sold us our Alaskan Amber pint glasses for $5 when we asked - my favorite souvenier from the trip

Favorite Dish: Everything with salmon and halibut is good. If I were to go back for one meal I would get the salmon grilled on the cedar plank.

Instant Answers: Juneau

Comments

Juneau Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Juneau restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Juneau sightseeing.