Glacier Gardens Rainforest Adventure, Juneau

7600 Glacier Hwy Juneau, AK 99801 (907) 790-3377

• Roots of trees with gardens up in the air
    Roots of trees with gardens up in the...
    View from the top
    chain saw sculpture
  • RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Glacier Gardens Rain Forest Adventure

by RickinDutch Updated Mar 13, 2006

View from the top

We were feeling especially touristy one day and decided to go to Glacier Gardens Rainforest Adventure. Not sure if it was the high prices or the attraction itself, but it just seemed like a tourist trap to me. I post this in "things to do" because my wife thought it a worthwhile activity. So, for $20 each, you join all the cruise ship passengers for a ride up Thunder "Mountain" on roads carved out of the rain forest. Nice view from a look out at 580' up and the flowers down at the bottom were nice - but worth $20? I didn't think so. Seemed more like a greenhouse trying to make ends meet after the growing season to me.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Juneau Gardens

by grandmaR Updated Jul 30, 2011
    Roots of trees with gardens up in the air

After the glacier we went to Juneau Gardens, which had upside down trees - due to a landslide that blocked the road, all the debris and logs were pushed onto this property and the man (Steve) who owned the property conceived the idea of sticking the top down in the ground and putting plants on the roots that were in the air. They took us on a tram ride up the hill and then we walked up to a platform to see out over the Juneau.

Then we went back to the garden center. There I saw that I could have had a wheelchair. They had a little cafe there and Bob and I got some chili (came out of a can and was heated up in the microwave) as we weren't getting back to the ship until afternoon. They also had a web cam of their eagles nest.

Under construction

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Eco-Tourism

• 2Cities1Love's Profile Photo

Go and see the upside down garden

by 2Cities1Love Written Aug 1, 2009

Buggy rides to the look out

I had fun walking around the gardens even tho it was raining.I also found the ride in the buggies up to the look out fun.

• Seniors