Places to eat in Ketchikan

• Restaurants
    by brewjohnson
  • Area where the two food stands are - with Duck
    Area where the two food stands are -...
    by grandmaR
  • Annabelle's Keg & Chowder House - Ketchikan
    Annabelle's Keg & Chowder House -...
    by starship

Most Viewed Restaurants in Ketchikan

• starship's Profile Photo

The Fish House: A Little Confusing or Amusing Seafood Restaurant

by starship Updated Mar 9, 2013

UPDATE: Although I certainly do not remember the Fish House as having any kind of dining room, the "restaurant's website states that it is a seafood restaurant and also says "Our exclusive dining room recreates the ambiance of an elegant 1940's stateroom." As it has been sometime since we visited Ketchikan, obviously the business has expanded. The website states that reservations are required. As there is no picture of the interior of the restaurant, it may be that only a small group of people are admitted and dinner prepared for each night. Although no menu is listed, the site does mention wild salmon, halibut, black cod, and Dungeness crabs. The restaurant's site does mention also "Alaskan Chef's Luncheon Table," and Alaskan Chef's Dinner Table as "custom seafood dining" for private dining experiences.

My previous description of the Fish House was as follows: The people in Ketchikan are not blind to the fact that the rest of us in the lower 48 states really like our coffee. There are several little coffee stands right on the cruise ships piers which attest to this fact. However, one of the more novel little spots we came upon was the somewhat novel name of, "Fish House." This cute little building by the waterfront (almost next door to the "Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show" stadium/arena) housed not a seafood restaurant, but a coffee shop and all the accoutrements! Great little place for a morning pick-me-up, but sadly it had no tables and chairs to enjoy while having your coffee and a little treat outside. I think business would have been a little brisker if people understood what this place really was and had a place to sit and enjoy it!

• Sushi Fever: Terrific Japanese cuisine

by fujiifam5 Written Feb 23, 2013

We went in for lunch and we had some great Japanese food. We both had udon and ordered some appetizers. The tempura soft shell crab was really good. The summer roll we ordered was beautiful to look at and delicious. The udon arrived very hot and tasty. We would there again next time come in to Ketchikan.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• O'Briens Pub & Eatery: (previously New york cafe: great food for start of day

by fujiifam5 Updated Feb 23, 2013

We are here in the off season, but we stopped by for our first breakfast in Ketchikan. We had the corned beef and egg bagel and it was delicious. The bagel was really light and the egg, cheese, and corned beef were a perfect blend to start out the day. We also ordered a couple of lattes that were terrific with a light crema of foam on top.
    We were also made aware that Saturday night they have a live band and we attended that for dinner. We had the turkey pot pie, which was filling and delicious. The jazz band and singer were terrific! The pub really has a nice hometown feel to it.

We don't think you will regret eating there and relaxing for a bit.

• Singles
    • Beer Tasting

• O'Briens Pub & Eatery: O'Briens Pub (previously New York Cafe)

by HockeyJohn1 Written Aug 13, 2012

As a local, this is my favorite place to eat or have a brew, but it is also popular with the cruise ship folks who stop here in Ketchikan. The Fish & Chips is the best I've had in town (in my humble opinion) and the 'Salmon Balls' with a berry/chipotle sauce are also excellent. The host, Willie O'Brien gives the place a very friendly atmosphere and the wait staff are very attentive. Of course, the fact that this place has Guinness on tap makes O'Briens a favorite for quite a few locals who enjoy a real Irish brew, but it's also great for the morning expresso and bagel. For anyone visiting Ketchikan, I highly recommend it. And it's easy to find, right off the Creek Street boardwalk and next to the New York Hotel. If you make it there, tell Willie that Hockey John sent you there.

Favorite Dish: Fish & Chips - without a doubt. The batter is excellent.

• Cruise

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Grizzly Grill and Alaskan Surf Halibut & Chips: Recommended for Lunch

by grandmaR Written Jul 1, 2011

We would have eaten at one of these two food stands, except that we started out so early that I ran out of energy before lunch time. But our Duck guide Lily said that both of them were good local places to eat. You have to eat outside, which is good in nice weather.

Favorite Dish: They have elk burger and buffalo hot dogs.

• Cruise

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

COFFEE SHOP: WHAT KIND OF HOT DOG!!!

by travelgourmet Updated Mar 9, 2009

While walking around Ketchikan's Creek Street, the aroma of foods cooking on the grill, awaken your taste buds. Going into one of the smaller food restaurants, I found the scent I was following. Cooking on the grill were reindeer hot dogs.

Now, I'm not about to say that I condone eating reindeer, but I was informed that the herds are culled every now and then for not only the benefit of the land but for the strength of the reindeer, so order up, and find out what kind of hot dog, reindeer meat makes.

Favorite Dish: Oh yeah!!! Now I'm hooked on reindeer hot dogs, and I don't know where else to get them, except in Ketchikan. So much tastier than the chicken, beef, turkey varieties. Juicy, snappy, and sweeter. Yummmy!!!

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

Burger Queen: Halibut Burgers!!!

by brewjohnson Written Aug 29, 2008

Our float plane pilot recommended the Burger Queen as a great place to eat. At first I was skeptical, as I saw the place when we arrived in town and didn't think it looked like much. Boy am I glad we took his advice, as we found out that the place is a local institution. Don't expect any elaborate or unique offerings, but if you want basic and delicious food, stop in and grab a halibut burger. Our pilot told us they were the best in town and I would be shocked if you could find better. This has to be the best value in town (and maybe all of Alaska). Super fresh halibut on a bun with tartar sauce and cabbage. No frills goodness at its finest (apparently, everything from chicken to regular halibut is great).

Our pilot also recommended that we get our burgers to go and take them across the street to the Arctic Bar (see "nightlife" tip) so we could grab a beer while we ate. Great advice on all counts.

Favorite Dish: Halibut Burgers - the best in town! Incredibly fresh halibut on a bun. Delicious and cheap!

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Burger Queen: Chowfest!

by HispanicYob Written Sep 4, 2006

This is a small diner located next to the only tunnel in town. It's a quaint little place that serves some great food. There's tables outside but I'm assuming you'll eat inside since it's pretty rainy here at times. A great place to eat.

Favorite Dish: The chicken tenders with their yummy honey mustard sauce. Also try one of their vast variety of milkshakes.

• Study Abroad

• azkermit's Profile Photo

The New York Cafe or The Other Place: Best food in AK

by azkermit Updated Jun 1, 2006

The restaurant has many names and much history. I was told it is the oldest continually oprerated restaurant in AK. My server told me stories of how her Grandfather used to bring her father to the place when he was a boy and her dad brought her here for food when she was a child. Anyway besides the cool interior, and history the food is incredible. It is located next to Creek Street, which is a major tourist area. I stopped in for an AK amber (beer) and was wowed by the great $5 menu. Yep everything on the menu (well almost everything) was priced at $5.00 I was told it is supposed to be like a tapas bar. Order a couple things and share them. I wish I had time to try everything.

Favorite Dish: Everything was tasty, I was told the menu is always changing. They try to use fresh and local when possible.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

West Coast Cape Fox Lodge: Nice View & Good Halibut Chips

by mcpangie Written Jan 14, 2004

This is place is located in a fancy hotel ontop the hill over downtown Ketchikan. To get there you can take the tram from Creek Street and get a nice view of the Tongass Narrows.

Favorite Dish: They had this seafood salad that was really good, but kind of messy to eat. I'd eat seafood there, they do that really well. They have great fried halibut appetizer.

• ocicat's Profile Photo

Dockside Diner: Great view

by ocicat Written May 10, 2003

On the water, at one of the seaplane & boat docks. There is a covered porch with tables, and also a large window inside facing the water.

Favorite Dish: The food was average, tho after walking in the Ketchikan drizzle the hot beverages were very welcome!

Ketchikan Hotels

Latest: Apr 9, 2014
Best Western Landing Hotel
Latest: Mar 27, 2014

Instant Answers: Ketchikan

Comments

Ketchikan Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Ketchikan locals.
Map of Ketchikan