Ketchikan Shopping

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

KetchiCandies: Made in Alaska

by grandmaR Updated Jul 1, 2011

Store window

One problem in Ketchikan is that the cruise ships bring in the Diamonds International and Tanzanite stores (photo 5 from above), staffs them with outsiders, and the stores are only open for the tourist season Then when fall comes - the stores close, the people and the money all leave.

So it is important to shop at local stores and not the big international jewelry stores.

We needed a thumb drive (which those touristic stores on the waterfront don't carry) so Bob walked out to the business center in town and bought one. Then he walked back to the ship. I had gotten my scooter off the ship and was scootering around town. I stopped to look in this store. Bob came up behind me outside the candy shop where he had bought some fudge - he had watched them making it there but did not, of course, take any photos.

What to buy: fudge, chocolates and other candy

What to pay: For fudge, their website says
    Choose from; Plain Chocolate, Chocolate Walnut, Chocolate Pecan, Chocolalte Peanut Butter,
    Plain Peanut Butter, Chocolate Mocha, Vanilla, Penuche (maple) plain or with nuts.
    $11.95 per lb.

• Cruise

• Chinook and Company: best smoked and canned salmon in Ketchikan, Alaska

by shellyq Written Jun 6, 2011

This shop is amazing! The proprietor sells her family's own brand of smoked and canned salmon.....way better than the stuff you get closer to the cruise ship docks. Friends of the family make jam, jelly and syrup locally and its also available in the store. Great boutique shop. Best tasting salmon I've ever tasted in my life!

What to buy: Salmon and Jelly and syrup and unique art

What to pay: Canned is bet 3.00 and 4.50 based on qty. 7 or 8 bucks for various sizes or samplers of jam and syrup.

• Luxury Travel

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Salmon Market: All Things Salmon

by BigBlueOne Written Jul 21, 2010

This little shop right in the main drag of the tourist area has all things salmon. Salmon jerky, salmon in cans, salmon smoked, whatever you would like.

Quick and easy and the employees are very helpful.

What to buy: I'd say salmon.

What to pay: Anywhere from $5 - $35 depending on what you're looking for.

• Cruise

• Wild Smoked Salmon

by peach93 Updated Oct 18, 2006

If you like Salmon and you come to Ketchikan, you owe it to yourself to buy some to take home with you. As I mentioned on the homepage, the best salmon I've ever eaten in my life comes from here. And though I've tried since I've gotten home, I can't find Ketchikan salmon here anywhere. I highly recommend the variety of smoked salmon that comes in whole filets rather than the thinly sliced kind. I think it tastes better and has a nicer texture. You can buy smoked salmon literally everywhere in town, but prices are much higher in touristy gift shops. Shop around a bit if you are going to buy a lot of it. I wish I had bought more!

What to pay: Anywhere from $8 to $20 a box, depending on the size and where you buy it.

• Good God: Hungry? Need seafood? Caribou? Musk ox??

by RblWthACoz Written Jan 5, 2006

Good God is a small shop owned by a fisherman and his wife. I bought some smoked salmon there that was canned by a friend of his (I still have some left that I am saving to eat). Besides seafood, they also sell a lot of other really unique things. Need kangaroo? Rattlesnake? Turtle? Musk ox? Caribou? They sell it online!

What to buy: Anything seafood or exotic meat. Oh yes. Salmon too!!

What to pay: prices seem a little higher than normal online...but the stuff I bought at the store was not expensive at all

• Eagle Spirit Gallery: Hardcore Native Alaskan Art Gallery

by RblWthACoz Updated Jan 5, 2006

When I am somewhere, I want to go see the most extreme of local specialties as I can. I want to get as native as possible. Eagle Spirit Gallery goes well beyond the little things you would find in a store and takes things to a higher level by showcasing and offering items extremely well crafted with time, care, and the love of Alaskan culture. This is the type of place where you buy that "one special thing". The thing that you will display in the best spot of your home, and wait for someone to ask you about it. Beyond that, it is a beautiful store that shows the depth of Alaskan culture and heritage.

What to buy: hand-crafted native Alaskan art

• Scanlon Gallery: Gotta love the art and knick knack stores

by RblWthACoz Updated Dec 21, 2005

It's been said that I am notoriously picky. Truth be told, I am. And as far as art goes, I don't buy something unless I am moved. I actually did buy something at this gallery (a print for $120), even though most of the place was not exactly my style. I will say that if you are going to buy knick knacks and gifts that this is a good place to check out because their quality of products is good and their variety wide. I especially appreciated the art there that had a native Alaskan tone to it.

Instant Answers: Ketchikan

Comments

Ketchikan Shopping

Reviews and photos of Ketchikan shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ketchikan sightseeing.