Know about this?
Beware the Wave
In the past century, Kodiak has been hammered by two natural disasters, the 1912 Novarupta eruption on the mainland and the 1964 earthquake/tsunami. Effects from both catastrophes are still visible today. The Sitka spruce trees that make this part of the island so gorgeous are not native to the area. . . the 1912 eruption deposited millions of seeds and several inches of volcanic dust on the island and around town. The 1964 tsunami crushed many of the buildings on the waterfront and farther inland. Today's reminders of the 1964 wave are the ubiquitous signs telling of evacuation routes (in case of a repeat occurrence) and the landlocked fish cannery on the wharf, a relief vessel that docked in 1964 to sustain the industry in its darkest hour.
- Family Travel
Tsunami party central
Tsunamis (tidal waves) are a very serious event. The town was wiped out in 1964 after the Good Friday Earthquake. Fortunately, my house is in the "safe" zone. In the event of a tsunami, meet at my house, we will be serving martinis and watching from the safety of my living room. All are welcome.
Get to higher ground!
If you hear the Tsunami siren anytime except 2:00 PM on Wednesday (which is the test time). Get to ground over the 100 ft level! Sometimes we have false alarms but it is better to be safe than sorry. As the downtown part of Kodiak was wiped out in the 1964 Good Friday earthquake and the Tsunami that followed it!! Kodiak has just installed these new signs to remind people if the situation occurs.
There are sirens placed...
There are sirens placed throughout Kodiak to warn you of the danger of a Tsunami. If you hear the siren go off anytime except 2:00 PM on Wednesday you should head to higher ground. (over 100 ft at least) Downtown Kodiak was wiped out in the 1964 Good Friday Earthquake.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 60% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
Kodiak Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Bukit Batok Town Park Hotels
- Male Island
- Ausable Chasm Hotels
- Batu Kawan Hotels
- Beas Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
- Singapore Warnings and Dangers
- Ko Samui Warnings and Dangers
- Hurghada Warnings and Dangers
- Lisbon Warnings and Dangers
- Philadelphia Warnings and Dangers
- Be aware of Call Girls
- Reno Warnings and Dangers
- Manila Warnings and Dangers
- Places to Avoid
- San Antonio Warnings and Dangers
- Lombok Warnings and Dangers
- Atlantic City Warnings and Dangers