What to pack for Alaska

bear glacier and boat
    by PA2AKgirl
    He thinks I couldn't see him.
    by Ourada
  • He sees everything while have to squint at him
    He sees everything while have to squint...
    by Ourada

Most Viewed What to Pack in Alaska

• Scandic's Profile Photo

Mosquito Repellents and covering clothes

by Scandic Written Nov 5, 2004

Luggage and bags: There are mosquitos in Alaska. That is a fact. Some people sya that they are biggest in Alaska. Ok, might be. But not just mosquitos, there are too beating flies, which are even more nastier. After one wonderful hike in Fox island, I was beaten up by these nasty nasty little creatures, which were all over me. I was wearing tank top and shorts, because I was running. Say what you say, running attracts these horrible animals even more.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If the weather is not too hot, wear long sleeves and long pants when going to bush. Hat is a good too and if you can bother the smell, wear repellents. Do not forget it. If you don't want to be a breakfast/lunc/dinner/dessert for those little nasty insects.

• johndale's Profile Photo

LAYER

by johndale Written Dec 3, 2003

Luggage and bags: BRING THE LARGEST SUITCASE YOU CAN FIND--GREAT FOR BRINGING BACK ALL THE SOUVENIRS

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: TAKE MULTI LAYER CLOTHING. THE WEATHER CAN CHANGE SUDDENLY, AND VARIES FROM DAY TO DAY. AND MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PACK YOUR WINTER COAT IN YOUR LUGGAGE WHEN YOU COME UP.

• Business Travel

• Sassy417's Profile Photo

Better to be Safe than sorry

by Sassy417 Written Nov 16, 2003

Luggage and bags: I traveled with a backpack on plane and along the way. My purse was inside the backpack, money, etc. easy to get too, and much easier to keep up with. We were told to pack both winter and summer clothes as the weather in Alaska can be temperamental. We departed from the South in the summer of July and reached our destination bringing record breaking temperatures in the 90's with us. However, the night air can be very cool. So it's always best to layer your articicles of clothing. It's easier to peel off, than not have enough on to protect you from the elements.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Hiking boots a must* comfortable tennis shoes for daytime walking. Lightweight jackets, lined w/hoods, gloves. Mostly we packed jeans, and layered. Tops consisted of sweatshirts and flannels with teeshirts underneath on cooler days outside touring the area.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Shampoo, hair dryer, makeup, etc. Shaving gear for hubby. Deoderant. That's all.

Photo Equipment: Take LOTS of film* Trust me.....you will need it. I took 15 rolls of film and still ran out. Had to buy more once there. So much to see and so much to do in Alaska. you want to capture all you can on film for the adventure and memories of a lifetime****

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: We rented a huge Buddy special RV and drove from Anchorage to Barrow, which the RV was new and ultra nice. So we had great gear inside the camper. We stocked it well with groceries before we left town.

• Jeannette1's Profile Photo

No need to pack and unpack daily...

by Jeannette1 Updated Jun 16, 2003

Luggage and bags: You do not have to carry your suitcases once you show up at the dock. It's great not having to pack and unpack all the time.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: rain gear and good walking shoes. Also a nice outfit for the 2 formal nights (out of 7)

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: bonine and/or a patch for people who tend to get sea sick.

Photo Equipment: a wide angle lens; binoculars.

Miscellaneous: If you are on a cruise, it's best to mark your luggage with large colorful posters or belts. It makes it so much easier to retrieve it after your disembark and you see dozens of suitcases that all look like yours :)

The Star Princess Ship
    • Cruise

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Wherever you go in the state, prepare for rain

by goingsolo Written Mar 5, 2003

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring waterproof clothing (fleece) and shoes and rain gear (a hat and maybe even rain pants)

Photo Equipment: Very necessary. Before my trip to Alaska, I never took pictures. I bought two 24 exp. disposable cameras (big mistake) before my trip, thinking I'd never use that much film because I hate to take pictures. This camera-phobe shot seven rolls of film! So get yourself a decent camera, even if you hate taking pictures.

• Adventure Travel
    • Eco-Tourism

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

survival list

by call_me_rhia Written Feb 25, 2003

Luggage and bags: a backpack is a necessity

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: hiking boots - and a wind-breaker if going to the arctic ocean (the temperatures dropped significantly)

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: if you are camping do NOT bring perfumes, and please also avoid perfumed deodorants and soap. Anything with a smell attracts bears - toothpaste too, but one can't really be without it.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: a food canister to hang up on trees and keep bears away - it's also a good store place for your toothpaste

Miscellaneous: mosquitos... they are voracious. Bring strong mosquito reppelent and be aware that it won't protect you from bites - it'll just let you avoid some. I tried a combination of DEET repellent on my naked skin - all over the body - topped with another weaker repellent all over my clothes. Occasionally I even wore a headnet. Moral of the story: 2 weeks and 58 bites.

useless repellents...
    • Adventure Travel

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Too much water -- Too much RAIN!

by Laura_Mexico Written Feb 25, 2003

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Make sure you have a raincoat or an umbrella when you visit mostly any of the ports of call in Alaska... it will rain at least half of the time! And even though it's a light rain, you'll need something to cover yourself if you don't want to get all wet! This is particularly useful if you plan to take any tours (kayaking, visiting a glacier, biking, hiking, etc.) while not on board of the ship! A light sweater or sweat shirt will be useful too, as the weather is sometimes cold no matter you visit Alaska during the summer (especially if you go visit a glacier!!).

• Cruise

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

by richiecdisc Written Sep 11, 2002

Luggage and bags: Backpack is essential especially if you don't have a car.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Top quality boots, you'll often be hiking off trails. Rain gear is essential, it can be a very wet place.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bug repellant and suncreen, por favor.

Photo Equipment: Wide angle for the expanses, zoom for the wildlife. I had a 300mm and it really wasn't enough. Tripod is important for wildlife as you are often in poor light situations.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Put the money out for a good tent. You will save so much on rooms and you won't mind camping so much if you're dry and not being eaten alive by mozzies. ;-)
    A big tarp is very handy to eat under and give you a little more space, important if you're camping for five months.

Miscellaneous: If you think you need it, bring it. You're not backpacking from Amsterdam to Paris here. One more plus for the car is you can bring whatever you want. We brought A LOT of stuff and used everything, but the spare car parts.

• youc0001's Profile Photo

by youc0001 Written Sep 8, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring RAINGEAR for summer visits. Also, long underwear may be useful in May and August if you are camping out.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Summer camping: 20 (F) degree sleeping bags. Tent MUST have a rainfly. The rainfly should extend to the base of the tent on all sides. Bug spray with deet.

Winter camping: -20 (F) degree sleeping bags. I have a 0 (F) degree bag, but I wouldn't camp in the winter unless it is above 0. 4 season tent.

Miscellaneous: (Photo Shoup Glacier Valdez)

• youc0001's Profile Photo

by youc0001 Written Sep 8, 2002

Luggage and bags: Backpacking: Internal frame backpack.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: 3-4 season tent, depending on season. thermarest sleeping pad. 20 degree (F) sleeping bag for summer and warmer for winter. Long Underwear. Gore-tex (or equivalent breathable) Raingear. Sturdy, hiking boots. I recommend hiking boots with minimal seams like montrail (one sport), all leather (goretex a plus). You will be likely hiking through water at some point and you want your boots to be completely waterproof. To test them, put them on and step into a puddle or your bathtub with 3-5 inches of water. If they leak, get a better pair. Pepper spray for bears (optional).

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bearproof canistor if in bear country. You wouldn't want your entire food supply trashed by a bear.

Water Filter. Water bottles. You could probably drink straight from a high mountain stream, without worries, but I would recommend a filter just in case.

Miscellaneous: For an off the beaten path--- Try something different besides Denali! Visit the Wrangells. Or if you are really hardcore, try the Brooks Range.

Be prepared for tough hiking in rough terrains. In general, there are few trails. It may be easiest to do a trip where there is a trail. Such as the Chilkoot trail out of Skagway, or there are some trails in Denali State Park and the White Mountains Rec. Area near Fairbanks.

by nrdnryspider Written Sep 8, 2002

Luggage and bags: Get a good quality pack that will put the load where it belongs, because it might get heavy! I used a lightweight nylon tent and had a good down mummy bag for a change. Don't skimp on this trip!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It's not as cold as you might think if you go in the summer, but summers are short! Bring lots of layers, because it's cool at night. Back in my day, the minimum you had to spend on clothing to survive (and I do mean survive) a winter was $1,000. Good boots are a must, because you're going to do a lot of walking. I liked my down vest instead of a jacket, because it kept me warm but not too warm, and I still had plenty of mobility in my arms. I'd bring plenty of longjohns and polar tek if some miracle happened and I could go back again.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Don't forget the bug repellant! I've seen worse mosquitoes in Texas, but they were still bad enough to make me look like I had the measles. That didn't exactly make me more appealing to my rides, but I got plenty anyway.

• Bryfred's Profile Photo

by Bryfred Written Sep 2, 2002

Luggage and bags: A May/June trip to Alaska requires every level of clothes, from shorts and tee-shirts, to heavy jackets. It is best to bring along items that can be worn in layers, so you can add or remove as the weather changes. Remember to bring along rain gear, as they do normally have a lot of rain. We were very fortunate in not having any significant rain for the two weeks.
    We were cautioned to bring along insect replellant, and we did see large swarms fo misquitos at times, but we must not have been their type, as we were not bitten.

by scooter3 Written Sep 2, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Take warm clothing.. No matter what time of year it is in Alaska, it is generally fairly cold.

Photo Equipment: You'll want a camera as there are so many beatiful places and things to see in Alaska

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Plenty of it, and make sure you're careful with your food. There are many bears and other animals here..

• wilsonjw's Profile Photo

by wilsonjw Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: My wife and I always travel with our backpacks. After a trip to hike the Wonderland Trail around Mt Rainier, we decided to get big duffel bags to protect our packs. We don't travel without these duffel bags anymore.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Camping

Miscellaneous: We bring mosquito/fly head nets on trips to the north (Alaska and Yukon Territory). It's much better than insect repellant -- you can just slip it off when you don't need it any more.

by elbrumf Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Light weight and as few as possible.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Weather is changeable, They say, 'If you don't like the weather wait 15 minutes and it will change.'
    Wear layers easy to take off and easy to put on. Bring rain gear.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: All that you use.

Photo Equipment: your cameras if you like to pack them

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: All that you use.

Alaska Hotels

256 Reviews - 446 Photos
Sitka Hotels
174 Reviews - 278 Photos

Instant Answers: Alaska

Comments

Alaska What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Alaska what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Alaska sightseeing.
Map of Alaska