Seward Tourist Traps

by frankcanfly

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Seward

• Godwin Dog Sled Tours: alert, they are thieves

by Poesken Written Oct 23, 2010

We had a reservation for 2 for a helicopter flight followed by a Dog Sled Tour on Godwin Glacier (Seward, AK) for the 2nd of August 2010, paid in advance by VISA ($ 900.00). The Tour was cancelled because of the weather. The owner assured us he would refund our money on our VISA Card. We didn’t get our money back and we tried to reach them by phone, as well by email every day during the last 2 months. After a complaint at the Chamber of Commerce they sent us an email saying we would receive our money before the end of September. At the end of October still no money. On Trip Advisor we saw that we are not the only ones! People call them thieves.

Unique Suggestions: Don't make a reservation, they will not pay you back if the tour is cancelled. Do not trust them.

Fun Alternatives: Make one of the other trips you can do departing from Seward.

• Adventure Travel

• 850prc's Profile Photo

The Alaska Sealife Center, Seward, AK

by 850prc Updated Mar 27, 2009

Alaska Sea Life Center, Seward

OK, back when I first started these pages, I put the Alaska Sealife Center down as a tourist trap. Today in retrospect, as I finally finish writing the pages (ten years after our trip to Alaska), I am feel pangs of guilt. Tourist trap MAY be a little harsh. It's more of a statement that it's over-rated. Perhaps having visited worldclass aquariums and sealife facilities all over Florida and the world, I found the Sealife Center to be kind of "small potatoes", so to speak. And at the time, I remember thinking the admission fee was kind of high for what you see. (I can't remember what we were charged)

The Alaska Sealife Center was actually constructed using monies collected from Exxon after the infamous Exxon Valdez oil slick disaster of some twenty years ago. In my mind, and it's only one man's opinion, I'm not sure that they couldn't have found better ways to spend the money. Then again, even though the settlement was in the billions of dollars, I'm sure that the thousands of lawyers involved in the process cut out their piece of meat before all was said and done.

Anyway, I am amending my comment about tourist trap, and am going to alter it slightly to "not a big deal", or perhaps, "not as big a deal as it's made out to be".

Enjoy.

Website/info:
    www.alaskasealife.org

Address:
    301 Railway Ave
    Seward, AK 99664
    (You can see the Sealife center from the Seward harbor area)

Phone:
    (907) 224-6300

Instant Answers: Seward

Comments

Seward Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Seward tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Seward sightseeing.