Skagway Favorites

by HispanicYob

Most Recent Favorites in Skagway

Tread lightly

by HispanicYob Written Sep 4, 2006

Some forgotten, others barely remembered

Favorite thing: There's lots of graves in the Gold Rush Cemetery, located at the far side of town. Please respect the dead and watch where you tread. For you could be stepping on one of the few "unknown" graves that are scattered about. Such a shame, that no one remembers these people. But dead and forgotten, that's how it is for most.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

Hiking towards the Dewey Falls

by HispanicYob Written Sep 4, 2006

Favorite thing: If you're on a cruise ship, which most likely you will be, it's a long walk into town. The pier's so far from it. Keep walking towards the right hand side where the mountains are, past the railroad tracks. You'll come to a set of trails, these trails will eventually lead you to Dewey Falls. It's a nice tranquil place. You wouldn't have known there was a lake of any kind here. It's a nice place to kick it and reflect on one's thoughts.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Mountain Climbing

At the dogsledding camp!

by HispanicYob Written Sep 3, 2006

At the camp

Favorite thing: Once we took off from Skagway, the pilot took us up into Denver Glacier. It was here that we landed and proceeded by a special vehicle to the camp. My favorite thing about Skagway was this very excursion I took. It was expensive but worth it. Once you arrive at camp, you're escorted by a short walk to it. You're greeted by the mushers. These mushers train the dogs for the Iditarod dog race. I got to meet some of them before we took our 20 minute ride around the glacier with the dogs. They're very excited dogs, full of energy when they pull the sleds. I admire them and the mushers for all the work they do.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of this place was going on a helicopter for the first time and dogsledding for the first time. The first and probably only Hernandez who will ever do this.

• Photography
    • Eco-Tourism

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Ice cream in Alaska...!?

by Laura_Mexico Written Mar 2, 2003

Downtown Skagway

Fondest memory: One of the best memories I keep is a DELICIOUS ice cream I bought in a parlor located on the main street... I can't remember the name of the shop, but I'm posting here a picture (which I borrowed from a magazine) taken from the bottom of the main street where you can see some of the shops, restaurants and the main hotel of Skagway... If you look carefully, towards the right side of the picture, there is a parlor with an ice cream cone showing on the top of the entrance, and I suspect that is the shop I visited.... I'm not 100% sure of it but you can always try... There aren't many parlors around anyway so try to find it, I highly recommend it!

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Entering Skagway...

by Laura_Mexico Updated Mar 2, 2003

Entering Skagway

Favorite thing: A view of the entrance of the town, coming from the pier... Skagway is a VERY small town, with only one main street where most of the shops and restaurants are located (the street starts here, on the spot shown on the picture). You can't get lost in such a small place!

• RitchiS1's Profile Photo

CROWDED DURING THE WEEK

by RitchiS1 Written Jun 30, 2005
    SKAGWAY CRUISING SHIP

Favorite thing: IF U WANT TO SEE SKAGWAY IT MAY BE BETTER TO SEE THE CITY WEEKENDS , BECAUSE MOST CRUISING SHIPS LANDED DURING THE WEEK

• National/State Park

Instant Answers: Skagway

Comments

Skagway Favorites

Reviews and photos of Skagway favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Skagway sightseeing.