Wanna be a local hero on a small pocketbook? Walk into the Fairview in the last afternoon when only a few locals are drinking and ring the bell! Congrats, you've just bought a round for everyone! Drink prices are very reasonable, so talk to your new friends!
Hudson Air was there before all of the others. Even their logos trigger those of the 1940's. They have served this town as transportation since, and have spent more years putting people on the mountain (and, more importantly, bringing them OFF of it!) than any other flight service in the area. A Talkeetna Icon. One pilot in particular, who goes by the name of Jock, is the one to ask for from this crew. He's dependable, smart, safe and an amazing pilot...I speak from personal experience. Grew up nearby, has been flying these mountains since he was a teenager.
We read about this from a local paper over lunch in the Roadhouse and it sounds like one hell of a marathon. It was a pity we couldn't see the race in action.
This is a race between the local mothers
1) Sprint with grocery bags across logs and rock, simulating a river crossing
2) Chop log into quarters
3) Put logs in wheelbarrow and run to archery range
4) Blow up balloons and fire arrows at them, time points for each one burst
5) Wash diaper and hang up to dry with pegs
6) Make cherry pie making sure all tops went on jars
7) Hammer 4" nails into hardwood
8) Cast fishing rod into 4ft wide area from 30 ft away
1st Prize: Fishing rod with all the accessories
2nd Prize: Handmade local bowl
3rd Prize: Local hanging basket
The lady who won in 2006 was obviously a hardy soul as she had won it for the 6th time!