Togiak Travel Guide

Arial view, January
  • Togiak

Togiak Nightlife

by mcpangie Written Jan 1, 2004

November 2002 - Only in the winter am I up early enough to catch the sunrise. In November it is about 8:00 AM when it is time to be going to work. The sun was just rising over Togiak Bay. This far north, it seems like night time well into the day!

Togiak Sunrise

by mcpangie Updated Jan 1, 2004

There are no restaurants, movie theatres, or adult spots. Togiak is a dry town, which means there isn't a place to buy alcohol there (legally).

However, there is plenty to do in the evening. One is enjoy the beauty of a sunset, or the northern lights. I took this picture up on a hill at the local landfill.

----------------------------------------

The sun sets; dreams pass...
    And now I smile, alone.
    I wonder if you know,
    I never understood.
    A bridge, it spans eternity,
    Forever holding, so fragile.
    And I wonder if you understand,
    That I never knew.
    What's the future now?
    What sun will set for my dreams?
    Where can I go?
    Now, that I've lost my life,
    I've lost you...

- 2/12/1986

• Eco-Tourism

• Togiak Hotels

0 Hotels in Togiak

Togiak Transportation

by mcpangie Written Oct 23, 2002

Pretty much the only way into Togiak is by small plane. There are several small air taxi that operate - two out of Togiak actually. Pen Air Village Flights offers regularly scheduled service from Dillingham.

The Pilot is a Togiak Local

by mcpangie Written Oct 23, 2002

Someone will undoubtedly offer you a ride if you're walking around with heavy suitcases - and it just might be on one of these machines.

Hondas at the Round House

• Don't Forget Insurance

If your current health insurance doesn't cover you while your abroad, you should consider getting international travel insurance just in case something should go wrong.

Togiak Local Customs

by mcpangie Updated Jan 1, 2004

I've included a tiny picture of the sea gulls so that you can actually see some details. The other picture of the seagulls showed quantity, not quality.

This picture was cut down so small that you need to click on it to see the better version.

They Got Tired Of Swimming
    • Birdwatching
    • Fishing

by mcpangie Written Jan 1, 2004

November 2002 - This time of year the locals go "smelting", which is fishing for tiny fish called smelts. They are often eaten friend in breading - they are friend whole as they are so small it is difficult to clean them until after they are cooked.

People aren't the only animals who love to go smelting. My dad used to say that "its nice to see wild sea gulls, doing what sea gulls are supposed to be doing". Most people only get the chance to watch sea gulls eating trash that human's left for them. But these sea gulls were out in Togiak Bay smelting.

That day I took several pictures of people smelting too, but none of them came out.

Wild Seagulls
    • Fishing
    • Birdwatching

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Togiak? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Togiak

Comments

Togiak Travel Guide
Map of Togiak