Getting Around Alaska

Most Viewed Transportation in Alaska

• traveldave's Profile Photo

Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport

by traveldave Updated Feb 22, 2013

Alaska's main international gateway is Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC), six miles (ten kilometers) southwest of the downtown area. There are numerous connections to many American and Canadian cities, as well as flights to Europe, Siberia, and Asia.

Airlines serving Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport: Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Asiana Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, China Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Era Aviation, Frontier Airlines, Frontier Flying Service, Grant Aviation, Hageland Aviation, Icelandair, Japan Airlines, Korean Air, Pen Air, United Airlines, US Airways, Vladivostok Air, and Yakutia Airlines.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

North Haul Road (Dalton Highway)

by RickinDutch Written Jan 23, 2013

I live in Alaska, but further south in Kodiak where we have moderating marine climate. But I have driven the Haul Road (now called the Dalton) as far as the arctic circle during the summer.
    I'm assuming you've done some research and have made good preparartion for the winter weather that still prevails in March. I'm an experienced winter driver and I wouldn't attempt going north of Fairbanks in March even in my own four wheel drive SUV with studded tires - let alone a rental. March can be the 'tween time this far north. Mostly likely deep winter still but can get freak upsurges in temps, break up and flash floods.
    Here is a good link to find out more if you haven't done the research.
    Good luck!

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Alaska Marine Highway An Alternative to Cruises

by CdnJane Written Nov 4, 2012

My traveling companion did not want to take a cruise, and I didn't want to drive or fly, so our alternative was taking the ferry. I'm glad that we did!
    We caught M/V Columbia's departure of 6pm on Fri Sept 14 at Bellingham, Washington and traveled up to Haines, Alaska. From Friday until early Sunday morning, there were no stops as we cruised through Canadian waters. For us that was perfect, we had a cabin booked - a double outside cabin, with facilities - bunk beds, an ensuite washroom (toilet and shower, with sink in the cabin) and as we didn't have a car with us, all our luggage was in the cabin with us, and it was tight, but doable - and this gave us a chance to catch up on jetlag, sightsee without the stress of driving, and just relaxing. We were impressed with the food services - quality, quantity and price. The Columbia has a full-service (sit-down with wait staff) dining room as well as the cafeteria/snack bar, and a bar/lounge. The dining room was situated near the stern with lovely windows on 3 sides to take in the view as you ate. Since we were past the majority of the summer vacationers, there wasn't a full load on board, and only a few people brave enough to camp out on deck. There were quite a few using the theatre, and forward lounge to sleep. The scenery was spectacular, the pace relaxing. My friend enjoyed the fact that we weren't being organized and group activities, but what a cruise does allow is all inclusive dining/accomodation/travel, with optional tours at the stops. The ferry schedule is dictated much more by tides and weather, so stops are not as regimented as with a cruise. Ketchikan was a nighttime stop (well early morning), and we didn't get out to see it, as was Juneau - too early to get out of bed. So, we didn't see the towns/villages as a cruise would allow - but don't think any or many cruises stop in Petersburg - and that was gorgeous. The other thing is that the ferry docks are not necessarily as handy to town as the cruise docks - at Juneau, the ferry comes into Auk Bay, 13 miles from town. You should arrange for transportation in advance, if possible, to pick you up. Our arrival in Haines, we had been told that there was a courtesy phone for our motel/car rental in the terminal building, which there was and they collected us quite quickly. It would not have been a welcome walk to town from the ferry dock! We did a land trip from Haines, to Haines Junction, to Whitehorse, and then down to Skagway where we caught the M/V Matanuska to return to Haines, and then on to Prince Rupert. We took the car on the ferry for the hour trip, and had time to do a little more sightseeing in Haines, fill up the tank with gas, and return it to Captain's Choice Motel, with their shuttle returning us to the ferry, before its departure. We did get a cabin right from Skagway through to Prince Rupert, which allowed us to store our luggage at Skagway from the car, and not have to transport it into the shuttle and then by foot onto the ferry at Haines. Depends upon how much luggage/baggage you have with you whether you wanted to have that extra expense - a helpful clerk at Skagway saved us some money by changing our reservation when we checked in so that we didnt' have to change cabins or fuss about. Much appreciated!
    The M/V Matanuska was a smaller vessel than the Columbia, but funnily enough, our cabin was bigger - much more space for our stuff. There was only a cafeteria on board rather than the diningroom and cafeteria, but the food was still good. We did experience the uncertainty of travel on the ferry with the delays from weather. We were supposed to have left Petersburg at 4:45am, but due to fog and tides, did not get away until almost 10am. That put all our other stops back, and meant that instead of arriving in Prince Rupert at 12:15am, it was about 3:45am (which was 4:45am Pacific time - the ship runs on Alaska time!) That was a disrupted night, and made for tired travelers for the next few days!
    The time thing is something to remember - when you get on board at Bellingham the departure time is 6pm, Pacific time. The moment the ferry casts off, you are on Alaska time, so it is only 5pm! The dining room DOES open at 6pm, but its an hour later than you are thinking!!!
    I would highly recommend using the Alaska Marine Highway System as an alternative to cruising. You can make it as comfortable as you wish - by booking a cabin, or roughing it. You've the option of having your car along, or renting when you get to your destination - but do book your car in advance as there aren't a lot of rental agencies - or finding other modes of transportation. You should calculate the costs of the car rental plus ferry charges, vs collecting a car and dropping it off along the way. We took the route of renting where we wanted to be driving - the Alaska Circle Tour, and then after Prince Rupert we took the train to Jasper where we picked up another car rental. We didn't want the bother of a car all the time or to pay to move it from place to place on the ferry.
    Will also comment about the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff that we encountered all along the way. We had some nice chats with the staff on the ferry, learning about their lives in Alaska. Oh yes, and they are government employees and are forbidden to accept tips for service on the ferries!!!

• Photography

• The McCarthy Road

by Matyas Updated Apr 4, 2011

Not as big adventure as the James Dalton Highway but beleive me...can be more than enough for humans:)) Just 60 miles but please notice this is a gravel and dirt road and recommended to keep the speed limits.

Better to use a truck or land rover rather than RVs. A one way journey takes about 2,5 - 3,5 hours and at least 4 or more by RVs. Watch for current weather conditions and slow down because ... (picture 1).

At the end of the road, you will find parking area and possible to leave your car here for 5 dollars.

• livinmydreams's Profile Photo

motorhome rental

by livinmydreams Written Nov 11, 2010

I am a life long Alaskan, I used ABC for a winter camping trip and was given the motorhome with a full *hitter.... NOT fun. Alaska has a bunch of people that rent out their motorhome on the side to help pay for it or rent it out all of the time. Try chekcing out Craigslist to see if you can get a better deal that the large shops.

I suggest Clippership if you want to use a regular business:
    5401 Old Seward Highway
    Anchorage, AK 99518-1458
    (907) 562-7051

Let me know if you want ideas on camping places! Camp grounds fill up quickly in teh summer so you may want to make reservations for camping during a weekend.

Christy

• Camping

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Driving Around Alaska by Car

by jumpingnorman Updated May 8, 2009

My sister arrived a day earlier to Alaska than myself and she got a car to rent for 5 days which I booked through Expedia for about $220 (Hertz)- to be picked up from airport (May 2009). She said she paid about $350 though when she arrived because there were some miscellaneous charges and taxes (Alaska is known for high taxes on car rentals at the airport, and we have heard that the tax may be less if you rent at the city of Anchorage itself rather than the airport - we have not confirmed this though).

But having the car was worth it -- we drove over 1000 miles during one of the best springs in Alaska during its 50th year of being a state. Our car was a red humble Ford Focus which was brand new (with only 300 miles on it) and we had no problems whatsoever. The weather was perfect and driving was easy at the time we visited.

When we visited, the snow was already melting and so there were also several waterfalls alone the mountainsides we passed on the road...

Driving times from Anchorage to the following Areas:
    to Cantwell....................................4 hours

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Alaska Airlines

by jumpingnorman Written May 8, 2009

The first time we saw a bald eagle was when my sister and I were driving on our first day in Alaska and I was talking with my wife on the phone, and this huge bird flew over our car, spreading its 7 foot wingspan for us to enjoy! Unfortunately, we did not have a camera on hand!
    But it was funny when I saw an ad saying that the State Bird is Alaska Airlines! Hehehe….true enough this “bird” does fly around 20 cities throughout the state – and I also got the cheapest flights going to Alaska through this airlines. I paid only $10 for my RT ticket from Phoenix (plus $75 processing fee) through my accumulated 25, 0000 mileage with Northwest Airlines (Alaska Airlines is a partner airline!). It was sooooo affordable and my flights were all on-time, owing to good weather.
    However, due to natural weather conditions and situations (like a volcanic spewing about 3 weeks before), flights may of course be cancelled.
    When you arrive in Alaska, you will see all these jets with an “Eskimo looking” man painted on its tail – and don’t be fooled that Alaska Airlines is a small company --- it does fly over the lower 48 states. You can also earn Bonus Miles --- especially when you book through alaskaair.com

• Adventure Travel

• LadyXoc's Profile Photo

The best book to have if driving in Alaska

by LadyXoc Written Sep 14, 2008

If you are doing any driving in Alaska a fabulous book and wealth of info is the book Milepost.
    "The Milepost provides maps, diagrams, photographs, and most of all, an almost mile by miles travelogue of what to expect in driving the major roads of the North Country. The information provided will allow the traveler to locate the next gas station, campground, hotel, or scenic spot. The advertisements allow some advance planning for areas where few hotel beds may be available. Travelers can also plan ahead for fishing charters on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska or the operating hours of visitor centers or the few but sometimes excellent museums that can be found along the roads. In buying the most recent edition of the Milepost, travelers can expect reasonably up-to-date information on major road construction. The Milepost includes some information on major hiking trailheads just off the main roads, but hikers should seek elsewhere for detailed information on off-road routes. The Milepost includes posted schedules for the Alaska Marine Highway System." (from Amazon) I saw this book at BArnes and Noble. I see it is out of stock at the moment on Amazon. It was very helpful. Nothing like knowing which milepost is known to have bears hanging out.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Winter Driving on the Alcan Highway

by RickinDutch Updated Sep 5, 2008

First, buy the Milepost. A great mile by mile resource for the Alcan.

The highway is in good shape (paved) the whole way. Winter is actually better as they aren't repaving portions like they do in the summer, but you do have to worry about ice.

Plan it out so you have a warm place to stay each night - hence the real need for the Milepost. Temps can vary between -40 and +20 in the winter. Remember you have to go a lot further north than Anchorage before you reach Tok and head south again.

If it were me, I wouldn't tow anything in the winter. Start sliding a load on ice and you can't do anything to recover it.

I went for 20 years in Alaska without studded tires and when I finally got some 10 years ago I couldn't believe the difference. Much more control on the ice. And I've driven front wheel, back wheel and four wheel drive. Give me four wheel any day. Front wheel is better than nothing but with all the weight in front, the back slides out from you when braking on ice.
    The key to safe driving on ice is not do anything suddenly - stop, start, or turn.

Keep a set of chains in case you get heavy snow, but they keep the highway well plowed year round for the trucks.

• starship's Profile Photo

"Glacier Express" to Mendenhall Glacier

by starship Updated May 14, 2008

UPDATE: In 2006 the price of the Glacier Express was $6.00 each way for adults.

If you arrive in Juneau by cruise ship, instead of taking an expensive excursion tour, consider taking the "Glacier Express" blue bus to the Mendenhall Glacier and Visitors Center. You can find one of the many which arrive every few minutes at Franklin Street (downtown) near the cruise ship piers. For $5 per person (2003 prices) each way (children were half price) you can have a scenic ride and possibly learn about the area from the driver. Our bus drivers actually gave us quite a lot of information about the Juneau area and wildlife in just the few minutes to and from Mendenhall Glacier. (If you feel that your driver was very informative and helpful, you might want to offer a small tip on disembarking the bus. Our driver was well worth it!) You can then be free to spend as much time as you prefer at the Visitor's Center and Glacier during normal visiting hours. Your bus driver will inform you concerning the time of the last bus departure from the Visitor's Center. "Glacier Express" bus stops are clearly marked.

• Darby2's Profile Photo

Cruising to Alaska

by Darby2 Written Apr 13, 2008

Regarding the Alaska portion of your tour, I'm guessing that your cruise ship will probably make landfall at such ports as Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, Skagway, Valdez, Anchorage. It may also visit ports in British Columbia such as Prince Rupert.

At that time of the year, be prepared for cold, wet weather in Alaska, specially in the coastal areas.
    One thing to remember is that the daylight hours will get longer, the further north you go. So near the early part of May the length of daylight will be nearly 18 hours or more once you reach Anchorage.

I have been in Alaska in June and it was fabulous but my travels were all by road.

• Cruise
    • National/State Park
    • Whale Watching

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Alaska Cruises

by mikelisaanna Updated Apr 13, 2008

The southeastern Alaska coast is very rugged, with mountains coming down right to the shoreline. As a result, there are no roads between the towns along the coast, and the only practical way to see the coast is by air or sea. The easiest way to do it is from a cruise ship, and there are a number of cruise lines that offer Alaska cruises.

We used Holland America for our Alaska cruise. Our ship, the Ryndam, held about 1200 passengers, and was very nice, with two restaurants, a bunch of bars, a library, three theaters, a gym and spa, an indoor swimming pool, a casino, and a kids club. The service was good and we were satisfied customers. The crowd was a bit older (average age > 50), but there were enough younger families on board that our daughter Anna was always able to find someone to play with.

When booking your cruise, there are a few key decisions that you need to make:

1. One way or round trip - Most cruises leave from Seattle or Vancouver. The one way cruises end up in Seward or Whittier, Alaska, and then you take a bus or train to Anchorage for the flight home. If you can afford the extra one-way airfare, we recommend the one-way cruise. The round trip cruises typically don't venture as far into Alaska before turning around to head back south. We thought that the best scenery was in the last three days of the trip (Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Kenai Fjords).

2. Size of Ship - Some Alaska cruise ships carry over 2500 passengers. That seemed to be a little overwhelming for us. While our boat was still big (1200 passengers), it still seemed manageable.

3. Itinerary - We thought that Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord, and Seward (Kenai Fjords) were all worth the effort to see. Make sure that your cruise visits those places. Sitka also sounded interesting, but our cruise did not go there.

4. Weather - Alaska gets a lot of rain. When planning your day trips while in port, have a back up plan if your activity gets rained out.

5. Extra days before and after your cruise - If possible, tack a few extra days ont the front and back ends of your cruise. We spent a weekend in Vancouver and enjoyed it. We also spent a day exlploring Kenai Fljords National Park at the end of our cruise. We would have liked to have had some more time to see Alaska's interior, but ran out of time.

• Cruise

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Gasoline Prices

by AlbuqRay Written Jan 6, 2008

Gasoline prices may be much higher than you are used to. Gasoline was not cheap anywhere in Alaska in Aug 07. Regular unleaded gasoline in Homer was $3.199 and in Seward was $3.209; however, it was $4.799 in Bethel! Unfortunately, I had my gasoline siphoned one night in Homer (the rental car did not have a gas cap lock) when my car was parked behind the Driftwood Inn. I don't think it was by locals. I suspect that it was someone from the RV park next door.

• jemcat's Profile Photo

Car, Rail and Cruise!

by jemcat Written Aug 24, 2007

My experience about traveling around AK is to drive the highways in order to stop and explore. However, you must take a cruise to see the glaziers. The Kenai Fjords cruises in Seward is very rewarding. There are eagles, seals, orkas, puffins, otters and sometimes whales.
    Wear layers because you never know what the weather might be.

• MyHollyDay's Profile Photo

Dalton Highway to Arctic Ocean

by MyHollyDay Updated Jun 5, 2007

Dalton Hwy(360miles)

-The trip can be done in 48 hours. (Fair Banks - Arctic Ocean - Fair Banks)

-SUV not necessarily. If you stay on the road, all you need is a regular car as long as tires are in good condition. If you want to do off roading, a regular SUV is not enough anyway.

-Bring enough food AND water on the road.

-Things to do to avoid a crack windshield: Drive slowly when you see trucks coming from opposite direction. We have noticed that truck drivers also slow down when they see you slowing down, so less chance of kicking up gravels toward your windshield.

It is true the Dalton is MOSTLY unpaved, but the road condition is not all that bad. We drove a rented SUV, Ford Explorer and was able to do an average of 40 miles per hour. It took us around 11 driving hours from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay. We could have probably driven faster since all the trucks were passing us by.

There is no service station along the way except the one right on the north bank of Yukon river, which is at around 2/5 of the way. This is the only place to get gas. You are outta luck after that until your return trip back to this point. Oh, and prepare to pay a premium too. At the time we paid something like $4/gallon when it was $2 in california. Now looking back, it wasn't bad at all given the rise in oil prices. You can get food here also. Not a bad selection give its remote location.

Most people think there is nothing to see. Well, the scenery along the Dalton Hwy is not scenic in a tourist way. It is scenic more in the sense of remoteness and unreachable vastness.

The only thing that disappointed me a little was the industrial setting of Pruhdoe Bay. I would not call it a town since the whole place look more like a heavy industry area. On you own, you can only get to a building where you need to sign up for a guided tour if you want to see the arctic ocean. Apparently, the coastline is restricted area. But hey, I saw the arctic ocean and touched its water...brag brag brag.......

Alaska Hotels

56 Reviews - 70 Photos
Kodiak Hotels
256 Reviews - 446 Photos

Instant Answers: Alaska

Comments

Alaska Transportation

Reviews and photos of Alaska transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Alaska sightseeing.
Map of Alaska