Uganik Island Favorites

Uganik Sunset

Most Recent Favorites in Uganik Island

Classic Kodiak Fisherman

Kodiak Fisherman

Favorite thing: It seems that most Kodiak Fisherman have a beard and kind of look like this! This guy was the second guy on the crew and I was the low man. But he quit and that moved me up to second man but I was still the low man as my captain didn't hire a third guy. Which worked out good as I worked on a percentage basis and the captain gave me a bigger percentage after this guy quit.

A shot of Me and our fish! $$$

Counting my $$$

Favorite thing: In my mind as we were picking fish out of the net I new (But don't remember now) how much each fish was worth to me into my pocket!! I just loved the days that we caught lot's of Red Salmon. The Pink Salmon were the least valuable. So we had to catch 10 times more to make the same money as catching the Reds!

Sorting the salmon

Me and the Captain!

Favorite thing: For the style of fishing that we did we used a small skiff to pick the fish from the net then we brought them to the holding skiff. As we took the fish out of the pick skiff we would count and sort the fish by specie into the holding skiff. Red Salmon were the fish that we were paid the most money for so we were happy to have the Red Salmon bins full each day!!

Fondest memory: I'm on the left...My skipper is on the right. He was a great guy as he treated me very well and was patient to teach the skills that I needed! I didn't know anything when he hired me!! LOL

Beautiful sunsets in late August - September

Uganik Sunset

Favorite thing: After we start losing more of the daylight that we have in the summer we can see more spectacular sunsets. From our spot on East Point we had wonderful sunsets everyday as long as the clouds weren't hiding the sky from us! This is a scan of one of those sunsets. Sorry about the quality as it has a couple scratches on it. I wanted to share what I saw back in 1986!

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Banya - Great place to relax!!

Banya

Favorite thing: We didn't have time to take a Banya eveyday but every few days we would fire up the Banya and get a good steam Cleaning. It is such a great feeling to relax in the hot steam after working so hard.
    The stove was a 55 gallon drum with beach rocks sitting on top. Word of warning: If the stove is super hot don't put a large amount of water on the rocks at the same time! You'll burn your body!! Just do it gradual so you body can adjust. Unless you have very tough skin and are experienced then go ahead and pour the water on! LOL

Set Netting - a form of Commercial Fishing

Setnetting in Uganik Bay

Favorite thing: Here in the photo you can see how the net is set. There is a beach net that is attached to the beach that runs about 300 feet from the shore to the Main fishing net. It is built from a tougher style of fabric and doesn't actually catch the fish it just keeps the fish from passing by and they will swim up along the net until they reach the gill net and that's where they will be caught. The 2 nets are connected at about the spot of where the skiff is. You can see the 2 styles of floats on the net.

Lupines

Favorite thing: As with every where else on Kodiak Island the Lupines will every inch of the the mountain meadows in late July and august! And Uganik Bay was no exception.

Instant Answers: Uganik Island

Comments

Uganik Island Favorites

Reviews and photos of Uganik Island favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Uganik Island sightseeing.

View all Uganik Island hotels