Whittier Restaurants

Postcard From Swiftwater
    by FatesWarn

Most Recent Restaurants in Whittier

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Varley's Swiftwater Seafood Cafe: Halibut & Chips!

by FatesWarn Updated Aug 3, 2014

I loved this restaurant so much, that I would go back to Whittier just to spend time there. Margaret and her staff are so wonderful that they make you feel right at home - and the food just happens to be awesome too.
    We loved the food so much on Friday night that we returned on Saturday for round two.
    On Saturday nights, they have started hosting a jam session/open-mike night, which was a real hit for the local workers and the patrons. We were having such a good time that we were inspired to ring the bell and buy the house a round... I recommend doing this in the BEGINNING of the evening - people will buy you drinks in return and you'll want to have the capacity to accept these drinks.

Favorite Dish: The Halibut and Chips is fantastic; I had the Fish & Chips the next night and I definitely prefer the halibut (the standard Fish & Chips is cod). The batter is the same for both, perfectly flaky, but sturdy enough to stand up to a dousing of malt vinegar.
    I took slight issue with the chips' authenticity (they should be thicker), but Margaret explained to me that the thicker ones take too long to cook and that they don't work out with the timing of the fish. Considering they've got the fish perfect, I'll let that slide.
    The price per person that I've listed includes a couple beers (but not the round for the house). The Fish & Chips is about $15 with the Halibut a little higher.

Postcard From Swiftwater
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Whale Watching
    • Adventure Travel

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Inn at Whittier: Great Breakfast!

by FatesWarn Written Aug 1, 2014

My husband and I had breakfast at the Inn on both mornings we spent in Whittier (we were also guests at the Inn). On both days, our server was Alex, who works really hard and provides great service with a smile. He made excellent recommendations for our meal choices.
    On the first morning, I went with the French Toast, which was excellent - Husband had eggs and reindeer sausage. The next morning, we were a little hungover from hanging out at the popular watering hole/restaurant, Swiftwater (where Alex happened to be performing at open mike night). Knowing our level of "happiness" the night before, Alex was gentle (and just as attentive) with us the next morning. Pancakes for me and Biscuits & Gravy for Husband hit the spot to get us right for the drive back to Anchorage and our flight home to Philly that night.

• Cruise
    • Fishing
    • Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Whittier

Comments

Whittier Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Whittier restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Whittier sightseeing.