Whittier Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Whittier

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

26 Glacier Tour - Phillips Cruises

by FatesWarn Written Aug 3, 2014

I love catamarans, so I was happy to see this big cat at the dock as we walked down to check in. The first thing I notice as we're checking in, though is that the line to board seemed endless, despite having assigned seats.
    When we boarded and found our seats, we joined a lovely German family, and it's a good thing they were lovely, because the 6-person tables were really tight quarters. My husband brought along a lot of camera equipment and there was really only room enough for one of them (husband or the backpack).
    Once we started out on the tour, the boat stopped for humpback whales, and they were breaching... it would have been an amazing site to see, but I never saw it because the boat was so crowded and everyone hogged the railing and I'm only 5'3". Husband managed to catch a shot - not the one that the young German girl from our table caught (she was also tall), but that was all about timing.
    When lunch (fish and chips, that's actually fish and crisps) was served, I found the fish overly salty and mostly inedible. Good thing I had a stash of snacks, but as a skilled home cook, still angry about the mistreatment of quality Alaskan fish.
    Something else that bothered me on this ship was the inability of the other guests to adhere to the safety rules, and the crews lack of presence when it was happening. The issues I witnessed were people standing on railings (to look over the hoards hogging the sites) and smokers. The captain and crew of Kenai Fjords Tours out of Seward would not have tolerated that sort of behavior.
    Later in the evening while eating dinner, we met some of the crew of the other game in town - Major Marine. They told me that their boat was only half full that afternoon and shook their heads at the issues I complained about with Phillips. They explained that Major Marine does the same tour, they just don't advertise as heavily as Phillips.
    While I have not taken a Major Marine tour, I would definitely recommend giving them consideration over Phillips based on my experience.

26 Glacier Tour 26 Glacier Tour
    • Whale Watching
    • Cruise

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo

Whittier Tunnel

by mht_in_la Updated Aug 27, 2003

The tunnel was first dug through during WWII as part of the military project. For years it was used by train only. To cross the tunnel by car, you drove your car up the train and remained seated in your car while the train took you to the other side and you drove off; a lengthy but unique experience that's no more.

In year 2000 the tunnel was widened and paved to allow both train and car on the same lane (of course not at the same time). Since the tunnel is one-lane only, each direction waits for their 15-min turn. The project was to bring visitors straight from Anchorage to Whittier to tour Prince William Sound.

The photo shows the tunnel building on the Whittier side. It's shaped to sustain avalanche.

The Tunnel Building (Whittier side)
    • Trains

• cfuentesm's Profile Photo

Walk the Town

by cfuentesm Written Sep 28, 2006

The town is REALLY small but quite charming. You can find a lot of tours visiting Prince William Sound as well as other entertaining activities.

Whittier Port
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Cruise

Instant Answers: Whittier

Comments

Whittier Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Whittier things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Whittier sightseeing.