Canyon de Chelly National Monument Local Customs

• How can yo say no-I bought from this nice person
    How can yo say no-I bought from this...
    by BruceDunning

Most Recent Local Customs in Canyon de Chelly National Monument

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Navajo Selling Their Goods

by BruceDunning Written Oct 17, 2009

How can yo say no-I bought from this nice person

At every overlook there are between 2-10 Indians selling jewelry, sandstone pieces, baskets and any other type of ancient looking artifact you can think of. I did not buy from them at every stop, but you really do feel for them and they look sad if you do not purchase. Poverty is prevalent here, and this is the only means of living for a lot of Navajo in the area. Economic slow down has hurt them according t what I was told. I usually do not take pictures of locals in distressed circumstances, but she wanted me to do so. I got juniper berry necklace' good luck omen

• Photography

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Salesmen out in force

by PinkFloydActuary Written Sep 25, 2005

Be aware that you will run into Navajo folks trying to sell jewelry and art at almost every overlook you stop at. If you're not interested, politely decline, but be aware that they will probably ask you to come over and take a look at their artistic goods.

Instant Answers: Canyon de Chelly National Monument

Comments

Canyon de Chelly National Monument Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Canyon de Chelly National Monument local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Canyon de Chelly National Monument sightseeing.

View all Canyon de Chelly National Monument hotels