People, Grand Canyon

Know about this? Rate It!

Shelby and Sierra
    by joiwatani
  • Mom, don't take a picture of my skirt! YEAH RIGHT!
    Mom, don't take a picture of my skirt!...
    by joiwatani
  • Here's more proof that it pays to listen to mom!
    Here's more proof that it pays to listen...
  • joiwatani's Profile Photo

Dress up warmly in Spring time

by joiwatani Written Apr 4, 2009

My daughter Shelby with her wool blanket skirt!

Favorite thing: This is very funny. I told my daughter Shelby many times that it will be very cold at the Grand Canyon but because we were leaving from Phoenix to Grand Canyon and the weather is about 82 degrees, she didn't listen to me. She wore shorts instead. By the time we got to the Grand Canyon, it was at freezing point 37 degrees!

Her sister was teasing her the whole time because she can't enjoy the view as she was freezing cold. Worst, she wore flip-flops while the rest of us wore pants, jackets, socks, and sneakers. Also, we brought our own shawls.

Luckily, I had some wool blanket in the car - her blanket when she was an infant. I wrap the blanket around her and put a safety pin to hold it as a skirt. Also, my husband had extra white socks in the car. Shelby wore this outfit the whole time we were at the Grand Canyon. She finally enjoyed the scenery although she looked like a "mismatched bag lady" and you can't tell whether she has a Guatemalan outfit or a Japanese Kimono. I told her what was more important was she was warm and that was all that matters...

Fondest memory: The most memorable one was when Shelby was freezing cold and we were teasing her as she was the only one who didn't dress up for a cold weather.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Crossing over

by goingsolo Updated Jul 19, 2005

Grand Canyon

Favorite thing: I will not forsake
    the colors that you bring,
    The nights you filled with fireworks
    they left you with nothing.
    I am still enchanted
    by the light you brought to me.
    I listen through your ears
    and through your eyes I see

U2 Stuck in a moment

Fondest memory: Reaching the suspension bridge over the Colorado river was the dream moment. Actually, this was the dream for the two of us when we'd planned to take this trip together. But long before November, 2003, we'd parted ways. I took the trip alone. Well, with Jim and Dan. But, in many, many ways, I was alone.

Crossing the suspension bridge and standing on the bottom of the Canyon was a bittersweet moment. I wanted to see this through and I did, but it brought me back to what was missing from my life. Had things gone differently, this would have been our honeymoon. But that had ended long before this one had been realized. After a moment of teary-eyed silence, I realized that this was it. The months that followed our parting were filled with reminders of things we'd planned to do together. Hiking the Grand Canyon was the last of those plans. Everything else had long since passed.

Reaching the bottom was a turning point as well as an accomplishment. My dream was completed and I could now move forward. It was finally time to put this one to rest and begin to dream of other things.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Exiting the Canyon

by goingsolo Updated Dec 18, 2004

Grand Canyon

Favorite thing: Maybe redemption has stories to tell.
    Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell.
    Where can you run to escape from yourself?
    Where you gonna go?
    Salvation is here.

Switchfoot, Dare You to Move

Fondest memory: Jim's wife Mimi met us at the end of Bright Angel Trail near Kolb Studio. We drove back to retrieve my car, then I said goodbye to Jim and Dan outside Maswick Lodge. Jim wished me safety in my travels and Canyon Dreams until I returned. We hugged and I thanked him.

I don't think Jim ever realized how much he did for me. This had been my dream for so long. A dream that, for so many reasons and so many times along the way, almost did not happen. But Jim made it a reality.

Thanks again, Jim.

• Yubert's Profile Photo

Yubert's General Tip

by Yubert Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: The Havasupai kids were very firendly liked to clown around for the tourists. This particular boy had just washed off some burrito fillings he had covered his face with.

• Yubert's Profile Photo

Yubert's General Tip

by Yubert Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: The Indian kids in Supai Village very quite friendly and funny. The boy in the middle smeared burrito filling on his face.

• S_J_Miller's General Tip

by S_J_Miller Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: This picture is of my family, Mom, Dad, Sister-In-Law, neice and nephew.
    My brother and I are on another cliff.

Instant Answers: Grand Canyon