Opened in May, 1933, the DESERT VIEW WATCHTOWER was designed by famous Southwest designer, Mary Colter.
It is located at the eastern end of the South Rim of Grand Canyon. More than five stories high, the Watchtower sits out on a promontory overlooking the Grand Canyon. The main entrance into the structure leads into the largest room, known as the Kiva room. The ceiling is made up of logs salvaged from the old Grand View Hotel. The floor is made from flagstone and the room contains a massive fireplace.
Mostly used as a gift shop.
Also has an observation tower.
Open through October 21 - 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The east rim is 25 miles in length along Desert View Drive from the Grand Canyon Village in the west to Desert View in the east. This road is open to private vehicles throughout the year.
Fondest memory: At Desert View including the last gas station and the Watchtower, a 20 metre high stone tower built in 1932.