Side Trips, Grand Canyon

Know about this? Rate It!

The gorge isn't far away form the road!
    by mikehanneman
    by MyHollyDay
    by sfphototraveller
  • goldcoaster's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon the natural way!!!

by goldcoaster Updated Mar 19, 2004

Grand Canyon West

If you are driving from Las Vegas to Phoenix via the Hoover Dam, look out for a big sign for the Grand Canyon West. It is a left hand turn if you are heading to Phoenix.

The road is a bit rough, about 21 miles of dirt road, but well worth the ride. When you get to the end, you nearly drive into the canyon. It is nearly undeveloped in any way. The Hualapai Indian Nation that run the area have kept it simple.

There is a small airport for light planes and helicopters but there is an area to get away from even this. The only thing there is a wooden seat. You can almost imagine it was 100 years ago or that you are the first personto see this sight.

From US 93, take Pearce Ferry Rd until you come to Diamond Bar Rd and follow that to the Grand Canyon West. There is an admission fee but it is only about $10 per person and well worth it for this non-tourist experience of the canyon.

• Hiking and Walking

• mikehanneman's Profile Photo

Little Colorado River Gorge

by mikehanneman Written Aug 20, 2007

The gorge isn't far away form the road!

As you approach/leave the East entrance to the Grand Canyon, you have an opportunity to visit the Little Colorado River Gorge.

Off the highway, it is a quarter mile walk to see the gorge. My family and I thought it was worth our time to stop.

• Meteor Crater

by sarosh Written Jun 20, 2003

meteor crater

I had first read about it in Guiness book, long time ago. My son pointed out the tiny board which said "meteor crater", on our way back from grand canyon (going EAST). I almost missed the exit. I told everyone, I am not going if its way off, but the board said 6 mi so i went in.
    I am glad I did. Its spectacular!! just standing there try to imagine what would have happened when this meteor struck, and remember it can happen again. The astonishing part is that the meteor disintigrated.
    They have a small museum. Not much but you get to see a re-creation of impact. Plus you get to touch some "other" meteors.
    The only negative, my wife thinks the ticket is pricey for this place ($25/-)

• Eco-Tourism

• rtschneider's Profile Photo

Well, if you are in Arizona...

by rtschneider Written Aug 24, 2002

Well, if you are in Arizona then you know to see the Grand Canyon however, there are several routes you can take to drive there. I've driven to the Grand Canyon twice from Phoenix. My route of choice, and the one I highly suggest, is to drive first through Sedona to Flagstaff and on to the Grand Canyon. What you will find between Sedona and Flagstaff just might blow your mind! I'll get around to building my Sedona and Flagstaff pages later but for now let me convince you here! As you are driving between Phoenix and Sedona you will mostly be passing through the desert with cactus all around. You'll know Sedona when you get there because it is known for its red rocks! And when I say red I mean RED! It is so incredible! As you drive through Sedona on your way to Flagstaff you will be driving higher and higher up the mountains. You will be driving through what is called Oak Creek Canyon. It is absolutely beautiful!!! Not at all like the desert surroundings you just left. Huge trees, green all around, streams, and not quite so hot! But don't let that fool you...you're still in for possibly the worst sunburn of your life! At least I was!!! The first time I was in Flagstaff I was amazed because it is nothing like what I'd expect for Arizona weather. Actually, if you go high enough into the mountains, it snows in July and that is an odd thing for a Mid-Westerner to comprehend! Take my word for it, this route might not seem like the straightest shot but you will not be disappointed!

• sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

by sfphototraveller Written Oct 14, 2005
    Lake Powell

We rented a ski boat in Lake Powell.
    We had lots of fun we towed each other on the water donut inflatable water toys.
    Lake Powell is like Utah National parks with water in it.
    A water park with great views.

• Eco-Tourism

• keithfan's Profile Photo

Sublime Point

by keithfan Written Sep 19, 2004
    back country road

You need a 4 wheel drive for this. Before the visitor center on the north rim take a right on a dirt logging road west to Sublime Point beautiful view 17 miles down. Allow at least an hour each way most of this road won't permit you to go quicker than 17 miles per hour!

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

• MyHollyDay's Profile Photo

by MyHollyDay Updated Jun 6, 2007
    Lake Powell

In the middle of the desert, lies this huge lake which feeds into the colorado river that forms the grand canyon. It is 3 hours drive from south rim

• Desert